A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Kaodi

Hero
As Arcata has already introduced herself to the men on the gate, Comoray is emboldened a bit to give the next stage of the introduction. "The blessings of the Lady Magnificent upon you, Haxmar Schattenstein, and your people," he says. "I am Brother Comoray, of the Order of Crimson Flames. May I introduce to you the Lady Arcata of House Dulat, newly installed in Fort Key-11."

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata manages not to grimace at the name. They really needed a better name than that. Really.

She gives a courtly bow, as between equals, and says, "I am pleased and honored to meet you. It is my hope that we can take the first steps towards a lasting friendship between our holds and people here today."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Schattenstein gives a bow.

"I'm afraid the facilities of the Waystation are diminished of late," he says, "but the Lady Arcata and her companions are most welcome. One of my men will stable your mounts and then you must join me in the far tower for refreshments." He utters something in the dwarven language and one of his guards steps forwards and takes the reins of Arcata's horse, the other moves to help the lady down should she need it. Meanwhile, the guards on the lower gate close it off.

[sblock=Comoray]
Arcata and Bastian don't seem to notice, but Comoray sees the lecherous look in the eyes of the Cobalt Dwarf as he sizes up Arcata. His intentions may not be as honourable as his speech.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Sh'aah]
Sh'aah senses something wrong here. He's unsure what, but his instinct tells him that there is fey involvement... somewhere.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Comoray keeps his observations to himself; just something he will have to watch out for. The priest dismounts and hands his reins to the dwarves when they come for them.

Shayuri

First Post
It's all she can do not to look back at the gate when she hears it close. The blue amulet, blue eyes and bluish skin seem strange to her. If it was just Schattenstein, she could write it off as an anomaly... Maybe a family trait? She'd read somewhere that dwarf holds were often populated by extended families called clans. It might explain why they were here on the surface, and clearly denied resources they needed to keep the waystation in good order, if there was prejudice against them from the others.

Of course, that also meant Schattenstein probably wouldn't be much use an ally. But it also meant he'd have need of an ally, which strengthened her position dealing with him.

Arcata was starting to regret not having practiced the tricky business of casting spells without hand movements and incantation. A subtle detection cantrip would be most useful right about now.

Regardless, she slipped off her horse and landed lightly beside the dwarf guard offering his hand.

"Most generous, Lord Schattenstein," she replies. "I've heard much about the fine cuisine of your people, I very much look forward to sampling it."

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah sniffed as he dismounted heavily, armour and wargear making a metallic jingle and clunk. This place smells funny...

He sniffed again. Dwarven places normally smelt like charcoaled meat and stale beer. And burnt metal if there was a forge around, not to mention unwashed and sweaty male bodies. At a guess, Sh'aah would say this place had less of those smells than he would have thought...and... Another sniff. A certain other smell that he couldn't quite put his finger, or nose, on. Perfumy, but not at the same time. "Strange... he muttered to himself. Must be the funny looking Dwarf...least he is ignoring me

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Please, call me Haxmar," says the dwarf. He holds onto Arcata's hand for slightly longer than she is comforable with. Up close, he smells slightly of stale beer, stale sweat and metal filings - probably the usual sort of smell for a dwarf?

He walks the group through the Waystation. Two curtain walls bar the ends of the narrow pass. To the right, cliffs climb up high and steep and to the left, a sheer drop. There are several buildings between the walls, mostly in a state of disrepair and converted into makeshift shelter. Under on lean-to, an animal roasts on a spit. Another of the blue dwarves tends to it.

"Our provisions are inadequate to fine dining, but we have fresh mountain goat, and plenty of ale. I believe we have some fine wines too if ale is not to your taste." Schattenstein leads the group into the ground floor of the tower of the far wall. A welcoming fire burns in the hearth and there some functional but comfortable-looking wooden chairs and a table within. Schattenstein suddenly bustles and finds a threadbare cushion. He plumps it, releasing a burst of dust and possibly mites, and places it in the chair nearest the fire with a bow towards Arcata. He all but ignores the men.

Fanjyr 3.jpg

"May I ask, My Lady, what brings you here? We haven't had any visitors for many months. In winter it is only to be expected, of course, but I'd hoped that with the spring thaws that we would have seen someone by now."

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah was content to be ignored. It made a positive change from being actively persecuted. Still, it was strange that the Dwarves were ignoring him rather than, at the least, giving him the evil eye.

He took advantage of the Dwarves' apparent uninterest to wander toward the precepice and look down. Mountains had always held a fascination and attraction for the half-orc. The bones of the earth...strong...unyielding. Sheer drops held a similar fascination. The transition from solid rock to flimsy and unspporting air was...well...interesting.

Kaodi

Hero
Comoray grimaces slightly at Haxxar's lingering touch. Something about this whole situation was bothering him. When Sh'aah wanders off, the priest takes the opportunity to follow him. "Quite the view," he says quietly, looking out over the lands below. Leaning in just a bit closer, he whispers, "Be wary of what food and drink you can. This place does not seem quite... right."

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah grunts at Comoray's words. "Smells wrong here. Something is strange," he grunts, glancing back toward the fire pit and where Arcata still was. With a shrug and no more to see, he returns his gaze to over the edge.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases