A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Dr Simon

Explorer
As Sh'aah looks out over the cliff edge to admire the view, he notices that there has been a rockfall in the section of cliff below the southern tower, and it looks like part of the cellar to the tower has become exposed to the open air.

Comoray, meanwhile, returning to Arcata, sees that the building near the outer edge of the Waystation [OOC: The one labelled F5 on the map] is the remains of a shrine to Velshionne.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Mostly out of idle curiosity, but also from a growing sense of feeling caged, Sh'aah picks up a few loose rocks and starts throwing them, trying to get them into the exposed cellar.

Kaodi

Hero
Frowning, Comoray turns away from his intended destination and goes to investigate the ruined shrine. He has a bad feeling that the condition he finds it in could be revealing.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sh'aah gets no response from the exposed cellar, but one of the dwarves guarding the southern gate comes over and utters something in dwarven at him. From the tone and body language, it's something along the lines of "Stop that and bugger off".

Meanwhile, Comoray examines the shrine. Although in a state of poor repair, it at least doesn't look like it's been deliberately desecrated, just left without care. The faded and patchy frescoes suggest that it is/was dedicated to St. Gamerack Stonebreaker.

Kaodi

Hero
Comoray glances around the shrine once more and heads back to Arcata's side. Whatever reasons he had to doubt their dwarven host before, he can perhaps add 'does not properly honour the goddess' to the list. It will be a subject he will have to bring up before they part ways.

Shayuri

First Post
"May I ask, My Lady, what brings you here? We haven't had any visitors for many months. In winter it is only to be expected, of course, but I'd hoped that with the spring thaws that we would have seen someone by now."

Several things struck Arcata at once in that question.

First, Haxmar and the original holders of the Keep had enjoyed cordial relations with one another. Second, Haxmar had not known about the beastmen taking the Keep, so it seemed likely that the dwarves didn't send anyone there. Even so, it was remiss of him not to keep informed. The Keep could have been used as a stronghold to launch attacks against Haxmar if the occupying force had been of a mind to do so, or disciplined enough to make it so.

It also implied that Haxmar could not be counted on for military aid, should the Keep again fall under attack. Not that military aid was the only value an ally could offer...but it was worth bearing in mind.

Something else nagged at Arcata too though. A fey creature infiltrating the Keep. The dwarves nearby for some reason all blue, with a strange amulet of the same color around their leader's neck. Coincidence? Or part of a multi-pronged strategy?

"Lord Haxmar," she said, "The Keep had fallen into enemy hands for a time. I've only recently liberated it and retaken posession of it. Unfortunately there were no records or written treaties left inside, nor any survivors beyond some of the original guard. Whatever traditions or agreements you had with the Keep before are gone along with them...that is why I've come personally. We must begin the friendship of our peoples here anew."

With a smile she added, "I assure you, the men and women at the Keep now will not fall anytime soon."

And on top of everything else...is he actually trying to flirt with me? I didn't realize dwarves did that... Resolving to ask their translator if he knew anything about that...learning a language often entailed learning cultural details as well...Arcata also allowed herself a moment of relief that she hadn't actually introduced him as a translator, nor had he revealed his knowledge of the language.

She had a feeling that being able to understand Dwarven, unknown to their hosts, might come in handy.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah towers over the Dwarf, glaring at him from his yellow eyes. He snorts in dismissal and goes back to throwing stones at the exposed cellar. There was no intent or point to his actions other than passing time previously. Now, he's just trying to wind the Dwarf up.

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: Ack! I wrote a reply to this last week but I think I got distracted before I sent it. Oops.

The dwarf utters something else at Sh'aah in the dwarven language, and lowers the point of his polearm at the half-orc's chest for emphasis.

"You, to do, not," he says in accented Common.

Meanwhile, at the far gatehouse, some dwarves bring in pewter goblets along with a pitcher of ale, a bottle of wine and a jug of milk which they set down on the table. Haxmar gives an encompassing gesture with his arm by way of an invitation to the group to help themselves. For his own part he uncorks the wine, pours two goblets and hands one to Arcata and keeps one for himself.

"A rare vintage," he says. "I understand, as representative of King Eisenbart I have the authorisation to undertake and treaty agreements with outsiders. I'm sure we can come to a mutually agreeable arrangement." He takes a sip of his wine, and rubs the blue amulet around his neck. Arcata re-evaluates her thoughts that the dwarf is flirting with her. The way he regards her isn't like the light flirtations of courtly romance, there's something far more unsettling and creepy in the way he looks at her, but at the same time it doesn't seem lecherous either, more like he's appraising her worth.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

The big half-orc paused in his mindless rock throwing. The fact a Dwarf might care enough to level a weapon at him for throwing rocks off a cliff only served to reinforce his suspicions that things were not-quite-right in the keep. Towering nearly three feet over the Dwarf, Sh'aah leant forward with a sneer and dropped the remaining three rocks he held onto it's helmetted head. "Happpy?"he growled.

Turning away from the setting sun he walked off slowly, keeping a close eye on the Dwarf's shadow for any sudden movements.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases