A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

Bastian frowns.

"More than I'd want to face on our own, but at least now we know," the cavalier offers. "We're endebted for the scouting, Sh'aah. I'd have been nothing but shine and clank out there.

"So I think we want to do what we can to thin their numbers before we go anywhere near the fort, yes?"

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah shrugs at Bastian's praise and strategising. "All beastmen will die eventually, I think. Kill some now, rest later. Kill all later. Makes little change. You want to hunt them like animals by your words? This will take long and need many arrows."

[sblock=ooc]
Thanks for covering for me DrSi. Should be back in the saddle on a regular basis now.
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"No, we haven't got the manpower to take a numerically superior force that has fortifications," Arcata says, shaking her head. "Bastian is right. We need to lure some of them out where we can attack them on our terms, thin their numbers, so we can attack the fort directly without it being suicidal."

"I think the plan we discussed briefly before has merit. We'll organize some men to look like a supply convoy, or something. Something innocent, but plausible. They'll get in reach of the fort, then turn tail and flee."

"Then we just hope the beastmen are more ruled by their feral instincts to chase helpless prey than they are their intellects. The decoy will lead them into the forest, where we'll have the rest of our men set in ambush. The beastmen in the fort won't have any way of knowing what happened."

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

Bastian nods.

"I'll get started organizing volunteers while we're trying to figure out the best ambush placement."

Kaodi

Hero
Brother Comoray shakes his head in disagreement. " That cannot be the extent of the plan, " he says. " We should not assume that the beastmen will operate in the same way as we would in their position. What is to stop them all from piling out of the fort en masse once the alarm is raised? Even while laying traps we must be prepared for a more straight up fight. "

Shayuri

First Post
"All of them coming out would be the ideal situation," Arcata points out. "Then we could ambush their entire force...maximizing our strength and their weakness. But what ideas do you suggest, Brother? Anything to give us an edge is welcome."

Kaodi

Hero
" Our lure should have enough mobility and a position that will allow them to changes roles to that of decoy if the situation demands it, " says Brother Comoray, stroking his chin. " If the beastmen empty out the fort in pursuit, I would advise a force to be ready to storm the remaining defenses and gain the defensive position for ourselves, while the decoy doubles back to reinforce once the beastmen give up the pursuit, or when the opportunity arises. " After pausing a moment, the priest then adds, " The trick is positioning the larger force so that they can either assist the lure in an ambush or stay out of sight long enough to put the distance between them and the beastmen needed for taking the fortifications. "

ahayford

First Post
Greggory stirs from his sleep and listens to the nobility's war council. A thought suddenly occurs to him.

If I might be so bold Lady Arcata...My men and I know these woods better then most. With Sh'aah as a guide, the five of us could lead the beastmen on a merry chase if need be, while your troops take the keep. However, our forces are slim as it is...I hesitate to divide them further.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah looked from one speaker to the next as each spoke their opinion. Seems there are many leaders. I thought there was only the Lady... Why doesn't she just tell people what to do, like a leader should?

Eventually, he just shrugged again with his huge shoulder muscles bunching and releasing. Abruptly, the half-orc realised he was cold and still not wearing a shirt in front of the Lady. Embarassed, Sh'aah folded his arms across his chest - unwilling to turn his back on Arcata while she was speaking even to get dressed and continued listening with glazed eyes to the discussion. So many words... They must all be afraid to act.

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata considered, then nodded.

"All right, sergeant. You can take one of our banners and head for the keep as if you fully expected it to still be in human hands. Don't approach within arrow range though. When the beastmen attack, flee back to the woods, to where the rest of us will lie in wait. We'll cut off their retreat, and cut them down. Where we go from there depends a bit on how many our ruse attracts, so lets start with this and re-assess when it's done."

"Sh'aah." She turned to look at the half-orc. If his lack of shirt affected her, it didn't show. "We'll need your help in finding a good place to set the ambush, and in concealing the men. Then you'll go with sergeant Greggory here and make sure they reach that spot again, with beastmen on their heels."

"If, IF, the fort empties out to chase you, Sergeant, lead them away from us. Then we can, as the Brother suggests, storm the keep and gain its defenses. Lose them in the woods if you can, and come back to us. But that only applies if the beastmen come out in numbers so numerous that the fort itself lies nearly undefended."

She takes a deep breath. "Everyone clear? Questions? Now's the time."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases