Walking Dead season 2 (spoilers)

jcayer

Explorer
As boring as the search for the little girl has been, it astounds me how stupid these people are...in regards to their host!
Herschel has given them a place to stay that is safe, he's provided for them medically, and they return the favor by stealing his horse, wandering around with guns, and not honoring his wishes about dealing with Walkers.
To continue my vent, Andrea has got to be the worst character on the show. She continues to be stupid and selfish. I'd leave her behind before any of the other survivors.

I will agree, my wife and I both think Daryl is now the most likable character on the show.

Sophia's a McGuffin that gives them a reason for a) staying at Herchel's farm and b) doing character exposition

Not to single you out Remus, but I think there's another factor here that some people are forgetting: Carl is still bedridden due to his gunshot wound. It's only been about three days since that happened. So, even if they weren't searching for Sophia, in all likelihood they would still be be hanging around Hershel's place for a least a few more days until it's safe to travel with Carl in the RV.

Whether they search for Sophia is purely a question of what they should be doing with their time while they wait. Shane's argument that they shouldn't keep looking is because he feels it's more likely that someone will get hurt or killed searching the zombie filled woods; Shane's argument isn't that they need to move out of Hershel's farm. Rick's reason for continuing the search isn't just that he feels responsible or that he feels sympathetic to Sophia or Carol, it's also that he doesn't know what else to do with his time. And I have a suspicion the Daryl would be out searching for Sophia even if Rick called off the search; he's too much of a loner to be satisfied hanging around with the rest of the group, and his emotions would probably force him to go searching even if especially if someone told him not to.

Of course, even though I can understand and sympathize with all of this, I have to agree that this season really seems to be dragging it's ass along as slowly as possible, and the search for Sophia seems to be eating up way more screen time than I'd like.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I will agree, my wife and I both think Daryl is now the most likable character on the show.

At least the most interesting one.

I think if I was part of the group, I would kill them or go off on my own. Not sure how much longer I will be able to take the show, stupid week after week is getting old...very old.

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Oh I agree! It's a weak McGuffin for precisely that reason. If she were the only pretext for remaining on Herchel's farm, that would be one thing, but no one is really talking seriously about moving Carl at this point, and so the search doesn't really tie much together. I'm hoping that it will be some great dramatic reveal, but it would have to be pretty shattering in order to justify the pointlessness of the mystery. Sophia's either alive and we'll see a tearful reunion with her mom; dead, in which case we'll see a tragic meltdown by her mom; or zombiefied, in which case, if the laws of drama hold, her mother will be forced to be the one to put her down (or else Daryl will in order to spare Carole, thus solidifying their burgeoning relationship).

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Carl keeps them tied to the farm, for now, but Sophia keeps them split up and out and about. I don't think they'll off Sophia. At this point, I'm wondering which of the farm residents will live and which are involved in the barn secret. Obviously, they need a demographic replacement for Amy, so there's a good chance Maggie will join them on the road. They could use a doctor but I have a feeling that Hershel has too much to do with the secret and wouldn't leave the farm if they dragged him. Jimmy and Patricia seem expendable at this stage, though Jimmy might fill a niche that the audience in being a quasi-rival for Glenn, and depnding on how they off Hershel, might hold a grudge and set the stage for future conflict if they bring him along. Will they burn the barn with all zombie-souls inside? Can't waste ammo if they can help it.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Well the show's been content to play fast and loose with the source materials, so all bets are off about how things will play out, but my guess is that they'll be back on the road, and a bit leaner population-wise, any episode now.

NewJeffCT

First Post
As boring as the search for the little girl has been, it astounds me how stupid these people are...in regards to their host!
Herschel has given them a place to stay that is safe, he's provided for them medically, and they return the favor by stealing his horse, wandering around with guns, and not honoring his wishes about dealing with Walkers.

well, Hershel's kid did say that he could go with them & take the horse, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure Rick & Co assumed he had gotten permission from Hershel, which was wrong.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Speaking of Merle, I'm glad they brought him up in this last episode. Because, yeah, what the hell? They made only a half-assed effort to search for him. And Rick was even more responsible for Merle's situation than he was for Sophia's. But, what, because he was a racist, druggie scumbag he wasn't worth looking for, possibly getting people killed for? Some ripe hypocrisy on Rick's part there.

well, Merle wasn't just a racist druggie scumbag, he brutally assaulted T-Dogg. Plus, as his escape from being handcuffed proved, he can take care of himself. He also stole the truck the group had taken to try to rescue him. Since they were in zombie central in Atlanta at the time, searching for a criminal like Merle in that mess was something that would have been way too much trouble. Plus, I'm sure he did not want to be found by Rick & Company, as he figured they'd just kill him this time.

Sophia is an innocent 12 year old girl whom we assume wants to be found.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
There is a bit of a Checkov's gun situation being set up with all these missing characters. When a character disappears under such circumstances, there's an expectation that they WILL show up again, and in a dramatically satisfying way, wether is Merle, Sophia, or the father and son from early in Season 1 (who Rick still tries to contact), they either need to show up alive or show up dead. They can't just keep not showing up.

NewJeffCT

First Post
There is a bit of a Checkov's gun situation being set up with all these missing characters. When a character disappears under such circumstances, there's an expectation that they WILL show up again, and in a dramatically satisfying way, wether is Merle, Sophia, or the father and son from early in Season 1 (who Rick still tries to contact), they either need to show up alive or show up dead. They can't just keep not showing up.

A few major spoilers below:

1)
IMDB lists the actress playing Sophia as appearing in episode 7, so she could be back as either herself or a walker.

2)
Morgan and his son Duane do return in the comics. However, it is not any time soon if they stick somewhat close to the comics.

3)
There was some online speculation that Merle would become "The Governor" on the TV show, a memorable villain in the comic series. However, I think some folks behind the TV series killed that idea not long ago.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases