drugs

Hexer

First Post
Are there any rules on drug use in D&D?

I once had a character in an online rpg that I didnt get to play much unfortunately and I thought it could be fun to try a D&D adaption

This char was an asassin, well trained, strong willed, a person always setting herself new challenges, kind of a tough bitch, you get the idea.
She also used poison on her weapons and stuff like that and had in the past also learned to test poisons on herself (in weakened form of course) and saw it as a challange to train her body to grow more resistant against poisons by taking weakened doses regularly.
Not everything goes as planned when experimenting so she DID get more resistant against poisons but also grew addicted to the doses.

I thought it might be an interesting idea for roleplaying purposes. If I was to include the concept in a D&D char I of course would have to have a talk with my DM about it, about how severe the effects would be and what effects the char would face when not being able to take doses and how frequently they would have to be taken to avoid negative effects.

Now I thought maybe there are some rules that could be used already but so far I didnt see any. Anyone have any input?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
There was a 3.5E book called Book_of_Vile_Darkness, that among other things had rules for drugs (writeup at Wikipedia). It was a book for mature readers only.

It's available at both [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Dungeons-Dragons-Roleplaying-Supplement/dp/0786926503"]Amazon[/ame] and [ame="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=book+of+vile+darkness"]ebay[/ame] .

There's a 4th edition version coming out also.

:)

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If not that, you'd have to go back to the 1ed DMG for drugs and their effects (Hey, it was the 70's).

Optionally, you can treat then just like fancy poisons (since they pretty much are).

lulzapalooza

First Post
Optionally, you can treat then just like fancy poisons (since they pretty much are).

In my opinion, this is the best way to go. Adding a new system for your DM to roll his eyes at is pretty annoying, and really they're just grittier potions or poisons.

Marijuana is an inhaled or ingested poison that has an effect of a few hours, a DC 14 save which you can choose to fail, and does 1d3 wisdom damage.

Remove ads