D&D 4th Edition Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)


What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 313

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Someone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Porcˇpolis
    Posts
    6,537
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore Someone
    My communities:

    Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)

    Noris awaits you in front of the Hanged Man with other two humans and several horses.

    "We have a long way before us. We'll leave as soon everyone arrives."

    ooc

    Welcome to "the stolen staff", which will be my third adventure as a DM here in the L4W boards. It's a published adventure and it may be a bit long by PbP standards, though it's normally a bit short for regular play.

    We'll be using the Malenkirk conventions for combat, which in short means that all the enemies will be acting in the same initiative count. Player initiative is only mportant for knowing who goes before the monsters; otherwise, whoever posts first goes first in a given round, with the caveat that you can only benefit from a condition inflicted by a pnother party member once, no matter how the acting order is shuffled.

    Additionally I encourage you to speed up combat by making the neccesary rolls that may result from your actions, even if someone else or the DM is supposed to make them. For example, you may move an enemy over the edge of a cliff - this normally requires the DM to save for it to determine if the monster falls down or just prone, but in this case you should make the save yourself.

    If you have any question don't hesitate to ask them
    Last edited by Someone; Wednesday, 30th November, 2011 at 03:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    CrimsonFlameWielder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    26035 Moulton Parkway #140, Laguna Hills, CA 92653
    Posts
    936
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore CrimsonFlameWielder
    A small dark figure creeps into view from the shadows. It wasn't until the figure had actually started moving that Noris realized that he had actually seen the mass of dark grey and black in the corner of his view. As the figure approaches, it seems to look around before obviously moving into the deepest available shadow. When the figure finds the shadow, it pulls back its deep hood, showing locks of dark black hair and icy blue eyes.

    Vyrna looks around for the others who signed up for this job, and not seeing any of them yet, she then looks back at Noris.

    "I'm here. We never really discussed payment or the rules. I'd like to know what I'm getting in exchange for risking my neck, and I also need to know who I can ea--gerly attack and who I can't."

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    870
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore Neil1889
    The diminutive figure of the 3'4" tall female appears at the far end of the street. She makes her own sweet time towards the gathering outside of the tavern and when she does arrive she makes a point of staying upwind of the tavern entrance. She smiles at the those around her.

    "Glad you haven't left yet! Books borrowed returned, affairs now settled and all that. Oh, um, I'm not much of a horsewoman; I would be better off in the company of a better rider, if that's part of the plan. Nice horses, though. Er, where are we going roughly? I'd like to leave a note for my colleagues."

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Someone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Porcˇpolis
    Posts
    6,537
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore Someone
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonFlameWielder View Post
    "I'm here. We never really discussed payment or the rules. I'd like to know what I'm getting in exchange for risking my neck, and I also need to know who I can ea--gerly attack and who I can't."
    "Master Charles is a fair man. I'm not the one who can promise you any certain amount of coin, but I'm sure the price will be enough to satisfy you."

    "As I said yesterday, I'm not sure what attacked the manor. I only know they were swift killers. We'll learn more when we arrive."


    Quote Originally Posted by Neil1889 View Post
    "Glad you haven't left yet! Books borrowed returned, affairs now settled and all that. Oh, um, I'm not much of a horsewoman; I would be better off in the company of a better rider, if that's part of the plan. Nice horses, though. Er, where are we going roughly? I'd like to leave a note for my colleagues."
    Noris nods. "You may be able to ride with one of us, on on the horse with the baggage, if that's what you want."

    "Also, seems we have some time for a note. Tell them we're going to Suha Manor, two days ride to the north."

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    870
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore Neil1889
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone View Post
    Noris nods. "You may be able to ride with one of us, on on the horse with the baggage, if that's what you want."

    "Also, seems we have some time for a note. Tell them we're going to Suha Manor, two days ride to the north."
    "Merely 25 summers and I'm already described as baggage. Oh, what a cruel fate."

    Lilli holds her breath and enters the tavern.

    She returns about ten minutes later, looking a little sad, but ready.
    Last edited by Neil1889; Sunday, 13th November, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Retconning.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    107
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore Karlowitch
    OOC
    won't have time to post before tomorrow :-/ !

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    411
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore weldon
    My communities:

    Shun comes around the corner and looks around before approaching the group

    Well, are we ready to move out then? The sooner we put this gods forsaken town at our stern, the better I say.
    L4W Character: Finnian, 4th Level Longtooth Shifter Beastmaster
    L4W Character: Shun, 1st Level Wilden Stormheart Warden

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Someone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Porcˇpolis
    Posts
    6,537
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore Someone
    My communities:

    OOC: I think that's everyone


    Once everyone arrives and are on top of a horse, with more or less skill, the group marches north, further inland, through the fields that feed the city of Daunton. The area is as safe as it can be outside well-manned walls, though it sees it share of adventure, bandits and monsters from time to time, though you find nothing of the sort.

    As you advance further north hills and mountains become clearer in the horizon and the terrain becomes more rugged and poorer. You may be not so far from the coast, where the most propserous settlements flourish, but is enough to make the zone less civilized and more feral. Road patrols are less regular but more numerous, and plowed fields gather around villages. Still, the influence of Daunton still extends here and you learn the most people here live from selling their products -various foods, furs, wool, ore and such - in the big city.

    So, you finally arrive at Suha Manor an hour after night falls. It's a fortified house built on a small hill or mound, surrounded by a tough wooden palisade whose gates open to receive you. An old man whose clothes stand out among those who surround him approaches. A boy with a lantern stands at his side.

    "Is this what you've got, Noris? Humph."

    "Very well. Come with me, we have to talk. You, see that they bring food to the west room."
    he says, talking alternatively to you, Noris and a servant, then turns and walks back to the house.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    107
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore Karlowitch
    Before the group enters the manor, loud horse/pony back riding can be heard in the distance, along with some very pompous singing.

    A small armed group of dwarfs and a human comes into view riding fast towards the palisade. As they get closer they raise what seems to be small kegs with handles in a friendly greeting to the guards while singing Jug Of Punch.

    Jug Of Punch

    One evening in the month of June
    As I was sitting in my room
    A small bird sat on an ivy bunch
    And the song he sang was "The Jug Of Punch."
    Too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay,
    too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
    A small bird sat on an ivy bunch
    And the song he sang was "The Jug Of Punch."
    What more diversion can a man desire?
    Than to sit him down by an alehouse fire
    Upon his knee a pretty wench
    And upon the table a jug of punch.
    Too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay,
    too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
    Upon his knee a pretty wench
    And on the table a jug of punch.
    Let the healers come with all their art
    They'll make no impression upon my heart
    Even a cripple forgets his hunch
    When he's snug outside of a jug of punch.
    Too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay,
    T too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
    Even a cripple forgets his hunch
    When he's snug outside of a jug of punch.
    And if I get drunk, well, me gold is me own
    And them don't like me they can leave me alone
    I'll chune me fiddle and I'll rosin me bow
    And I'll be welcome wherever I go.
    Too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay,
    T oo ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
    I'll chune me fiddle and I'll rosin me bow
    And I'll be welcome wherever I go.
    And when I'm dead and in my grave
    No costly tombstone will I crave
    Just lay me down in my native peat
    With a jug of punch at my head and feet.
    Too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay,
    Too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
    Just lay me down in my native peat
    With a jug of punch at my head and feet.


    When the armed group reaches the Palisade, only the human and one of the dwarfs are allowed to access closer to the manor. Quickly Norris and rest of the group recognises the human as to be Ryan but no one knows who the dwarf is.

    This powerful dwarf looks to be a war-veteran and bears many scars to his neck, face and arms. What is most noticeable about the dwarf, is his wicked beard and his large silver battle axe with a golden encrusted skeleton head symbol on each side.

    The human introduces the dwarf to be known as Ragnar Battlebone, also known as the Bane of all Undeads, from the Valley of Bone. The dwarf nods in greeting to the group " Gents, Ladies "

    Ryan makes an half-apologetic bow towards Norris " I am sorry for my late arrival, but I ran into some kinsmen in Daunton " and the dwarf agrees while laughing " Aye, what be the chances?! It's not every day you meet a human Bonebreaker! " and he gives Ryan a powerful clap on the shoulder. " We borrowed the lad for the night with a promise to return him here if he didn't catch you at the Hanged Man "

    Ryan turns to face the dwarf. He places a firm hand on Ragnar's shoulder and he returns the gesture " well, master dwarf, it's been a pleasure to drink, boast and hunt in your company... It's just a shame we didn't catch that vampire. " and the dwarf nods " Aye lad. Too many civilians have already lost their lives to this beast, we will return and see if we can track it down. Honour to your clan Ryan! And pay my regards to Randal when he wakes up! "

    The war-veteran turns to leave and Ryan shouts after him " I will and honour to your clan as well! Good hunting! ". Ryan now turns to the group " now, what did I miss? "

    OOC

    Sorry for the late entry, been too busy to make a good post. And now everybody should be here .

    To Someone: Looks like a fair set of rules. Looking forward to see what you have in store for us !
    Last edited by Karlowitch; Sunday, 13th November, 2011 at 04:04 PM.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    CrimsonFlameWielder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    26035 Moulton Parkway #140, Laguna Hills, CA 92653
    Posts
    936
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore CrimsonFlameWielder
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlowitch View Post
    " well, master dwarf, it's been a pleasure to drink, boast and hunt in your company... It's just a shame we didn't catch that vampire. " and the dwarf nods " Aye lad. Too many civilians have already lost their lives to this beast, we will return and see if we can track it down. Honour to your clan Ryan! And pay my regards to Randal when he wakes up! "
    All was fine for Vyrna when Ryan and the dwarves arrived, as she hadn't a clue as to their origins, skills, or occupations. That is, until the dwarf was introduced, and doubly so when they mentioned not catching a vampire. Slowly creeping back into the shadows, so as not to be seen, the diminutive undead pulled her deep hood and cloak about her and remained stock still so that her shade colored cloak blended with the shadows around her. She kept an ear out for the departure of the dwarves, not daring to look that way, lest she catch their attention.

    Once she heard the horse shod fade in the distance, she stepped back out into the lighter shadows near the carriage and removed her hood once more and approached Ryan.

    "Well that's interesting... Your friend is the Bane of Undead, and you're part of his clan, and yet neither of you feel the need to destroy your body-less companion there," she says, nodding toward the bag hanging from Ryan's belt.


    "Does that mean that you and your kin don't feel the need to indiscriminately hunt undead, simply for the fact that they have that condition?"

    Her voice had the slightest tinge of hope in it. Likely the set up for her own emotional downfall, but that would depend on what Ryan felt about that subject.


    Beckoning Ryan to follow along while he responded to her questions, Vyrna followed the rest of the troupe toward the mansion. The mention of food intrigued her, though she seriously doubted that fair appropriate to her particular needs would be presented. Maybe she would get lucky and she would receive a particularly undercooked piece of meat she could suck the juices out of.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 236
    Last Post: Wednesday, 9th January, 2013, 07:32 PM
  2. Adventure: A Tale of Two Domains (DM:Luinnar, Judge:renau1g)
    By Luinnar in forum Living 4th Edition
    Replies: 948
    Last Post: Sunday, 26th February, 2012, 07:59 AM
  3. Replies: 605
    Last Post: Tuesday, 27th December, 2011, 05:37 PM
  4. Replies: 486
    Last Post: Friday, 9th December, 2011, 06:04 AM
  5. Adventure: Delivery of Death (DM: Luinnar, Judge: renau1g)
    By Luinnar in forum Living 4th Edition
    Replies: 730
    Last Post: Sunday, 1st May, 2011, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •