Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)

Someone

Adventurer
GM: Round update. I’m against delaying it further since we already waited long enough and you had IMO enough warning, and the only enemy left is the hellhound, so I’ll NPC Ryan and Shun. I hope we can continue normally from here.

The assault on the helpless orcs continue! The air surrounding them turns into destructive shadow as Lilly and Vyrna invoke their magic. The last orc scrambles on his feet and tries to escpe, but a magic bolt from Eva pushes him back into the shadow maelstrom and he disappears devoured by the hungry darkness.
Around the corner the warrior face the flaming beast. Ryan connects with a well aimed blow that leaves a long lash on the hellhound’s shoulder. Enraged, he fiery dog vomits a stream of fire on Ryan, who’s now ablaze. No man should be able to withstand that, but somehow the warrior is still standing.
[sblock=actions]
Lilly doesn’t suffer the Prone penalty since it applies to Ranged attacks, and grasping shadows is a burst within a range. Not that it matters much since the rolls were high enough.
Shun takes fire damage from the aura, shifts to current position and readies an action for when Ryan is flanking with him to attack.
Ryan moves into flanking, triggering attack action from Shun which hits AC 15 and fails. Ryan attacks with Crushing surge, hitting easily, dealing 11 damage and gaining 6 temporary hit points. Ryan Marks the hellhound.
Since the hellhound is now bloodied, it regains his fiery breath automatically. It can’t target anyone but Ryan with it without triggering mark punishment, so he does it, hitting without problems and dealing 13 damage wich eats his THP and deals 7 real damage.
Notice that at the start of his turn Ryan will take 5 damage from the hellhound’s aura and the ongoing damage. Since they are simultaneous and he’s not bloodied, his damage reduction from Unrelenting mountain stance won’t apply, but it’ll work for further damage.
[/sblock]
[sblock=status]
Ryan: 16/31, Unrelenting mountain stance, Ongoing 5 fire (save ends)
Lily 20/30,
Eva 16/24,
Shun 25/35,
Vyrna 8/22, 6 THP, Invisible, Bloodied.

Hellhound: 46/92, Bloodied
AC: 19 Fort:16 Ref:16 Will:14 MBA: Bite +8 Vs AC, 2d6+4 damage. Aura 1: enemies take 5 fire damage if they start their turns inside the aura.
[/sblock]
[sblock=terrain]
The central altar and the columns are blocking terrain and provide cover; this means for example that you can’t move from G8 to H9, you must pass through H8 first. The stairs leading to the altar are difficult terrain. The cave is well lit with torches.[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
Staff2-4.jpg
[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
"Careful, Ryan! The dog looks really hot!" Eva warns somewhat belatedly. At the same time, she redirects her staff to the hellhound and fires off another homing magical bolt at it.

[sblock=Eva actions / stats]Standard: Magic Missile vs Hellhound autohits for 7 force damage.

PC:Eva (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Elf Mage 1
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 10
AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:15, Will:13 -- Speed:7
HP:2+16/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:5/8
Initiative +1
Action Points: 0
Conditions

Powers
Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Phantasmal Assault, Restless Dead, Magic Missile
Color Orb, Darkening Flame, Elven Accuracy, Second Wind, Spook
Spirit Rend
[sblock=spellbook]
Darkening Flame, Ray of Enfeeblement
Spirit Rend, Summon Dretch[/sblock][/sblock]

The pool of grasping shadows created by Eva swims with necrotic energy. The energy surges into Vyrna and her form solidifies, at first condensing from the pool of shadow, then taking on the form of flesh. An aura hangs about her, redirecting the waves of light that threaten to reveal her location so that they flow around her. It's as though she did not exist.

As the orcs gasp their last breaths, Vyrna breaths in deeply, sucking in the last of their life force. Her vampiric form twists this stolen life force into destructive energy, which writhes around her body just waiting to be used.

Seeing that the two tougher members of her group were getting singed while protecting the rest of them, Vyrna decided to lend a hand, while simultaneously enacting a small form of revenge against the ember laden mongrel.

Stepping around the south eastern pillar toward Lily, she calls out to the hellhound and locks eyes with it. Vyrna's aura of invisibility dissipates. Smiling sweetly at it, Vyrna beckons the hellhound, which steps directly into the waiting maw of shadowy tendrils, courtesy of the groups' wizardly gnome. The beasts mind is assaulted by the patch of living shadow as Vyrna sends images of a frigid, icy nightmare that ends with the beast falling into a grave, which releases the pent up energy surrounding Vyrna. It's a nasty one-two punch of mental might and death!

"Mmmm...I like how you set a scene, Lilli, now let's show this fiery bastard how this story unfolds!"

[sblock=Actions]
Beginning of turn: Vyrna is still bloodied, so regen activates, bringing her up to 12/22 HP. She is no longer bloodied.

Free Action: Vyrna uses Dark Reaping.

Move Action: Vyrna moves > K14 > K15 > L15 > M15 > N15.

Standard Action: Vyrna uses Dark Beckoning against the hellhound while invisible (which grants Vyrna combat advantage against it, a +2 to attack), rolling 16 vs Will (a hit), which activates the extra 1d8+4 damage from Dark Reaping on top of the 1d6+9 damage from Dark Beckoning, for a total of 19 damage (10 psychic damage, 9 necrotic damage). The hellhound is then pulled to L12, which deals another 5 psychic damage to it from Grasping Shadows, for a total of 24 damage!

There you go Shun/Ryan, now you won't be burned at the start of your turn, and as long as Lilli goes before either of you two, you can go after the hellhound again and you won't get hurt by Grasping Shadows!
[/sblock]

[sblock=Vyrna's Stats]Vyrna - Revenant (Halfling) Vampire 1
Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10
AC 17, Fort 11, Reflex 15, Will 15
HP 12/22 + 6 temp HP, Bloodied 11, Surge Value 5, Surges 3/2
Speed 6, Initiative +5
Action Points: 0, Second Wind
At-Will Powers: Vampire Slam, Dark Beckoning, Taste of Life
Encounter Powers:Blood Drinker, Dark Reaping, Takedown Strike
Daily Powers: Swarm of Shadows
Utility Powers: none
[/sblock]

Karlowitch

First Post
[Sblock=thailand] hi guys, and greetings from Thailand! I just checked to see the updates. If you don't mind, I would like CrimsonFlameWielder to take over Ryan and Randal until i get back from vacation. I'll be back at the 23 of january. I wish you all the best from Ko Phangan!

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk
[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
Just before the shadowy tendrils dissipate, Lilli uses the feedback from the terrifying creature's mind to attempt to have them squeeze all the more tighter around the dog's throat.

She doesn't like the idea of the hound moving towards her though, so she then moves to put a pillar between it and her.

[sblock=actions] Standard action =
Illusory Ambush (At Will Standard Ranged 10 Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)
Target: One creature
Attack: +7 vs. Will
Hit: 1d6+6 Psychic damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

To Hit: 14
Potential Damage: 8

Roll Lookup

Move action = Move to J15. [/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
GM: Waiting for [MENTION=18817]weldon[/MENTION] to post Shun's actions and [MENTION=6684473]CrimsonFlameWielder[/MENTION] to post Ryan's actions.

Weldon, if you're busy and don't have much time to read all the posts, the map in post #221 is no longer valid. The hellhound is at L12 and has only 7 hit points left

weldon

Explorer
Shun shifts a step back and swings his chain around and brings it down on the hellhound.

[sblock=Actions]Move: shift 1 square away (not sure what the map looks like)
Standard: Weight of Earth
Minor: N/A[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
The hellhound feels the sting of Vyrna and Lilly's magic when terryfying scenes assault it's mind! the pain the beast is suffering must be unbearable, yet it is still conscious and alive, and looking at Lilly with eyes full of (literal) burning hatred. But then Shun bodly advances behind in, trapping it's hind legs with his barbed chain and tripping it on the floot, then sinking his trident on the beast's neck.

The hellhound shivers and trembles wildly in it's agony before finally giving up. A pool of boiling blood forms around the corpse, but even that eventually cools down.

The battle didn't last long, but you feel drained and exhausted, except perhaps Vyrna whose wounds and burns seems to be quickly fading out.

GM: That was a tough fight! Since it's a milestone, you get 1 action point.

OOC: WHOOO!!! Good job guys! That one was tough! Had to use my daily on that one, and I think someone else has already used theirs as well, but I say we keep pushing on!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases