Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)

Although most of her physical form was radically burned at this point, the necrotic energies within her worked to transform her flesh back into its original state. Knowing she was critical, she decided it was time to tip the scales in her direction a bit. Staring at the burning red eyes of the hell hound, Vyrna lashed out with her right hand, fingers tipped in claws made from black and blue necrotic energies. Slashing the mutt in the face, Vyrna feels the hounds energies quickly pull into the surface of her body. It didn't fully restore her, but it did provide something of a protective barrier. With the hound's neck turned, Vyrna pounced, sinking her fangs into the beast's neck and drawing it's heated life-blood into her mouth, screaming in a sadistic ecstasy as it gushes down her throat. The beasts blood is boiling hot, though, and she can't manage to take in more than a mouthful. Feeling the hounds body crank up the heat, she leaps back a few steps, not wanting to be caught in that fire once again.

"Everyone kill it! Finish it off and rip out its innards!"

It may not be obvious, but she was a tad upset at being nearly incinerated.

[sblock=actions]
Standard: Taste of Life: 22 vs Fortitude for 20 damage; Vyrna gains 6 temporary hit points.
Free Action: Vyrna uses Blood Drinker (extra 1d10 damage included in damage roll linked above) and gains a healing surge.
Move Action: Shift 1 square south-west to get out of the creature's damaging aura.
Free Action: End of turn save vs ongoing fire damage succeeds with a roll of 18.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Vyrna's Stats] Vyrna - Revenant (Halfling) Vampire 1
Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10
AC 17, Fort 11, Reflex 15, Will 15
HP 4/22 + 6 temp HP, Bloodied 11, Surge Value 5, Surges 3/2
Speed 6, Initiative +5
Action Points: 0, Second Wind
At-Will Powers: Vampire Slam, Dark Beckoning, Taste of Life
Encounter Powers: Blood Drinker, Dark Reaping, Takedown Strike
Daily Powers: Swarm of Shadows
Utility Powers: none
[/sblock]

Karlowitch

First Post
Ryan moves quickly past the others, before he charges fearlessly the Hell Hound and Randal cheers him on as he attacks the creature. Ryan on the other and aims too high but in the last second, he changes the movement of the Khopesh and slices a piece of the dog's skull along with its left ear. Desperately trying to spare his comrades from the foul fire surrounding the beast, he tries to use his momentum from his blow to push it away, but the dog is surprisingly strong and steady on its four feet.

Ignoring the pain from the flames of the beast, Ryan turns to the others " I'll hold the dog, just take care of the others !" . Randal does though have another suggestion and yells " Don't listen to him, KILL, KILL IT ! I am burning ! "

[sblock=actions]
Minor action - Activates Unrelanting Mountain Stance
Move action - Moves to O9
Standard Action - Charges Hell Hound and ends his movement in M8. Hits AC 17. See previous post.
No Action - Uses Racial Power: Heroic Effort, to hit 17+4 = 21 AC. Deals 12 damage and Ryan gains 3 THP.
No Action - Uses Iron Wolf Charge Power. Deals 1 damage. Secondary effect does not hit ( by using the previous rolls, hits will 6)
Total Damage = 13
[/sblock]
[sblock=Ryan's Stats]

Ryan Bonebreaker - Male Human Fighter 1
Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 12
AC:18, Fort:17, Reflex:14, Will:13, Speed:5
HP:23/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:10/12
Initiative +1
Action Points: 1 (encounter)

Conditions
Unrelenting Mountain: Ryan enters the Unrelenting Mountain stance. Until the stance ends, Ryan reduces the distance an enemy can push, pull or slide by 2 sq's. While he is bloodied in this stance, he also gains resist 5 all and and cannot be knocked prone.
3 THP
Powers
MBA: Khopesh, +6 vs AC, 1d8+6 damage (see Combat notes below)
RBA: Javelin, +6 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage, 10/20
Crushing Surge, Weapon Master's Strike
Second Wind, Steel Serpent Strike, Iron Wolf Charge
Villain's Menace, Unrelenting Mountain(Used)

Combat notes:
+2 to attack roll on OAs, OAs stop enemy movement
+2 to damage when Ryan has thp
+3 thp with each successful hit
Marked enemies get -2 to atk's and cannot shift without provoking

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
GM: I’ll play Shun’s actions, since I don’t want to delay the posting any longer. Also gaming is the last thing on his mind right now

Panicked, Lilly and Eva invoke their most powerful magic, and the effect is terrifying. One of the orc’s skin turns grey and fills with cracks, and bleeds profusely from nose, eyes and ears before falling, obviously dead. The other two ones fall to their knees, too sick and dazed to do anything –except the priest, whose eyes glow red and barks orders to the hellhound before falling to the ground, too nauseated to keep on his feet.
The beast, confused, turns around and only manages to look at Shun menacingly.

[sblock=actions]
By my calculations Lilly is at 20 HP, I think you forgot to take the ongoing damage before you saved.
Shun uses Pursuit of the Hunter to shift to K8 and avoid the breath weapon. Takes 5 damage from the aura, then Marks the hound (minor), strikes with the chain (standard) hitting exactly thanks to flanking bonus and shifts to his current position (move)
The surviving warrior can’t do anything since he’s immobilized and already threw his javelin.
The hellhound shifts after Shun (who otherwise could have enforced his mark from a distance) and uses Savage Attack, but both attacks utterly fail.
The orc leader uses his ability eyes of Wrath as a minor, which fails to hit hits Shun’s Will defense exactly by 1 thanks to the penalty imposed by Lilly’s spell (not included in the roll), and then Swift Arm of Destruction, which allows the hellhound to attack Shun and recover some health. And incredibly, it rolls another 1. Unbelivable. Thankfully, I decided to use the integrated dice roller, or you’d have thought I was fudging them.
The leader saves against both effects, which means he’s Prone. The warrior saves against Lilly’s spell but not Eva’s, which means he’s Prone and continues being Immobilized.
[/sblock]
[sblock=status]
Ryan: 23/31
Lily 20/30,
Eva 16/24, Prone, +2 defenses TENT
Shun 30/35,
Vyrna 3/22 6 THP

Orc leader: 24/38, Prone, grants CA to Lilly
AC: 16 Fort:14 Ref:13 Will:16 MBA: Spear +7 Vs AC, 2d4+2 damage.
Orc warrior 1: 23/46, Immobilized, Prone, grants CA to Lilly
Orc warrior 2: Dead
AC: 17 Fort:16 Ref:16 Will:14 MBA: Battleaxe +8 Vs AC, 2d6+4 damage and shift 1 square
Hellhound: 57/92, Slowed
AC: 19 Fort:16 Ref:16 Will:14 MBA: Bite +8 Vs AC, 2d6+4 damage. Aura 1: enemies take 5 fire damage if they start their turns inside the aura.
[/sblock]
[sblock=terrain]
The central altar and the columns are blocking terrain and provide cover; this means for example that you can’t move from G8 to H9, you must pass through H8 first. The stairs leading to the altar are difficult terrain. The cave is well lit with torches.[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
Staff2-3.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
OOC: Sorry to hear that, Weldon. All my best.

Lilli moves to the far end of the room and then swiftly summons a swarm of shadowy tendrils that everyone can see that writhe and grasp at the prone orcs.

"Don't go into the shadows, they'll grasp at you too!" yells Lilli, as the tendrils seemingly start to squeeze the life out of her foes.

[sblock=actions]Yep, sorry, my bad about the ongoing damage.

Lilli should be in square O13, though.

Move action = Moves to N16.

Standard action = Lilli casts Grasping Shadows at square M12. It will attack both Orcs and the spell will linger in the area burst 1.

Grasping Shadows (Encounter Standard Area burst 1 within 10 squares Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: +7 vs. Will
Hit: 1d8+6 Psychic damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Shadows writhe in the designated area and continue until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes psychic damage equal to your Intelligence modifier (+5) and is slowed until the end of its next turn.

They grant combat advantage from previous Phantom Echoes but they are prone, so Lilli gains a net zero bonus for these attacks.

Roll Lookup

Targetting the Orc leader: To Hit 22.
Targetting the Orc Warrior: To Hit: 24.
Potential Damage: 10

Feat: Phantom Echoes: When you use an arcane illusion power and hit a target, you gain combat advantage against that target until the end of your next turn. If the illusion power has an effect that a save can end, you instead gain combat advantage against the target until it saves against that effect.

Mini-stats:

Lilli
Female Gnome Illusionist Wizard, Level 3.
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 17. Senses: Low-light vision.
AC:16, Fort: 12, Reflex: 16, Will: 16.
HP: 20/30, Bloodied: 15, Surge Value: 7, Surges left: 6/7
Speed: 5 squares. Size: Small. Languages: Eladrin, Allarian, Draconic.
Saving Throw Bonuses: +5 Racial bonus against illusions.
Action Points: 0
Powers:
Ghost Sound
Light
Prestidigitation
Mage Hand
Orb of Deception
Use Vulnerability
Illusory Ambush
Nightmare Eruption
Grasping Shadows USED
Fade Away
Second Wind USED
Horrid Whispers USED
Shield USED
Hypnotic Pattern [Hypnotic Pattern Attack] BOTH USED

Lilli will use Fade Away if hit by an attack that drops her to 9 or below.
[/sblock]

Karlowitch

First Post
OOC:
To Weldon: Sorry to hear that too, I hope everything turns out alright.

Tactics: Should Ryan try to keep the Orc's busy or should he stay with the dog?

Neil1889

First Post
OOC:
To Weldon: Sorry to hear that too, I hope everything turns out alright.

Tactics: Should Ryan try to keep the Orc's busy or should he stay with the dog?

OOC: Hard to say. I'd love to see Ryan hack the prone Orc warrior, but the hound is far from finished and your help there isn't a bad thing. I think a lot depends on what Vyrna wants to do; thumping the nearest Orc might be worth it for her, but Eva might have to help both her and Lilli out to be certain of the issue.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases