D&D 4th Edition Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar) - Page 25




  1. #241
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    395

    ° Ignore weldon
    Shun sparkles at the sight of flowing water.

    Ahhhh, now that's a sight for sore eyes. Water in this forsaken hole.

    The wilden drops his gear at the water's edge and reaches down to splash his face and wash the dust and grime that has been collecting over his plant-like hide.

    Brrrr. Colder than a witch's , this is. Still this is the first sign of hope I've seen since we came down here. I wonder about that hole in the wall across the stream. Let me see if I can reach it. Anyone have a length of rope I can carry across?

    After grabbing the loose end of a rope, and asking Ryan to hold the coil, Shun drops his legs over the side of the underground channel and begins to wade across.

    Refreshing, really. But... a violent shake runs through his body, shiver me timbers, this is cold.

    Bracing himself against the strength of the current, and wrapping his arms around his torso to keep some small measure of warmth within his body. He continues to push across the water, wading as far as he can, hoping that the bottom doesn't drop out from underneath his feet forcing him further into the chilly stream.

    Upon reaching the other side, Shun throws out his arms and takes in a deep breath.

    Ahhhh, that did the trick, it did. I feel better than I have since we left the coast.

    The water doesn't appear to be dripping off Shun at all, but rather it starts flowing across his skin and disappears underneath the leafy edges.

    Great mother, that feels good. Let me see what we've got here.

    The warden pokes his head into the hole in the wall to see where it leads.
    Last edited by weldon; Friday, 13th January, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
    L4W Character: Finnian, 4th Level Longtooth Shifter Beastmaster
    L4W Character: Shun, 1st Level Wilden Stormheart Warden

 

  • #242
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Dekana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    2,070

    ° Ignore Dekana
    Quote Originally Posted by weldon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Brrrr. Colder than a witch's , this is.
    Eva rolls her eyes at that. Then, half-consciously, she moves a hand to her rear as if to check. That's when she realizes she's still wearing the magical gloves she identified from before. "These do fit nicely," she observes quietly.

    OOC: The gauntlets happen to be on Eva's wishlist, so I'll grab them if no one else will.
    close the world, .txEn eht nepo

  • #243
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Someone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Porcˇpolis
    Posts
    6,537

    ° Ignore Someone
    These new tunnels Shun discovered are a bit cramped, but they'll do. They seem to be abandoned, but you persevere until the only way forward is through a hole not 4 feet tall. since Lilli is the only one who can fit comfortably*, she takes the scouting role while the others crawl on hands a knees behind her.

    The claustrophobic hole finally opens over a mor espacious and well it corridor. However, the sound of an orc patrol comes nearer; with all the noise the rest of the group is making, they'll hear them for sure.

    Lilli frantically looks around trying to decide what to do, and notices that the walls at the other side of the corridor are a bit unstable. A well placed spell could crumble them on the orcs, but where? Or perhaps the easiest solution could be to come back to the main group and quietly warn them abut the coming danger.

    Suggested skills: Stealth, Dungeoneering

    *Vyrna is a revenant. They are medium size.

  • #244
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    862

    ° Ignore Neil1889
    "Oh, Vena, they sound like a party of dwarves on a bender," thinks Lilli, as she uses her Ghost Sound illusion to warn those behind her of the patrolling orcs. The front three of her companions hear a warning in their ears, as Lilli reactively flattens herself against the tunnel wall.

    "Shhhh! Be still a moment! They'll hear us! Let them pass!"

    As she does so, she readies the same illusion to mask the sounds of the party from the Orcs, should they prove inquisative, as a distraction away from the group's hidey-hole. Lilli considers for a moment what an Orc Guard's breaking wind might sound like...could Prestidigitation help here for an aromatic effect afterwards too?

    actions
    Strealth roll: 18. Roll Lookup

  • #245
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Someone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Porcˇpolis
    Posts
    6,537

    ° Ignore Someone
    Lilli watches the orc patrol pass without noticing her. When they dissapear beyond a bend she breathes with relief and signals the others to continue.

    Looks like you're reaching the deepest part of the forgotten fortress. Sounds of activity reverberate and may orc voices are heard. In front of you there's an arch, guarded by two sentinels. You overpower them easily and advance to see what's behind the gate.

    A muddy river divides a large chamber in two. Behind it two orcs toil around a table with numerous flasks and vials, while nearby another one gives instructions to a large group of them. Vyrna deciphers that, apparently, there are intruders in the fortress, but the rumours about an undead army are false. They must split and comb every inch of the tunnels...

    That's when they apot you, but not before you can use the time to set up your attack. The leading orc brandishes his symbol of command: a long and elaborate staff that you recognize by the description Charles gave you: the staff of Suha!

    GM: Since you did the challenge without failing once, you have a surprise round here. Do it and then we'll roll initiative



    actions

    None yet

    status

    Ryan: 31/31
    Lily 27/30,
    Eva 22/24,
    Shun 35/35,
    Vyrna 22/22

    Leading orc: 92/92
    AC: 19 Fort:16 Ref:15 Will:16 MBA: +8 VS AC, 2d6+4 damage and target is Marked.
    Orc alchemists:
    38/38
    38/38
    AC: 16 Fort:14 Ref:15 Will:14 MBA: +7 VS AC, 2d4+4 damage
    Orc troop: Minions
    AC: 14 Fort:14 Ref:14 Will:14 MBA: +7 VS AC, 6 damage

    terrain

    The river and itĺs edges look slippery and treacherous. You will be Slowed for sure if you try to cross it not using the bridge, and who knows what else


    map

  • #246
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Dekana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    2,070

    ° Ignore Dekana
    Eva whispers to Ryan beside her, "Maybe they won't notice us if we don't say anything." Eva then wordlessly fires off a magical bolt at one of the lesser orcs. He cries out horribly before falling to the ground dead with a force bolt in his chest.

    Eva actions / stats
    Surprise: Magic Missile vs Orc Troop (H15) autohits and autokills it. (I'm not in range to do anything else.)

    Init: 17. (1d20+1=17)


    PC:Eva (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Elf Mage 1
    Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 10
    AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:15, Will:13 -- Speed:7
    HP:22/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:4/8
    Initiative +1
    Action Points: 0
    Conditions

    Powers
    Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Phantasmal Assault, Restless Dead, Magic Missile
    Color Orb, Darkening Flame, Elven Accuracy, Second Wind, Spook
    Spirit Rend
    spellbook

    Darkening Flame, Ray of Enfeeblement
    Spirit Rend, Summon Dretch
    Last edited by Dekana; Sunday, 15th January, 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added init roll
    close the world, .txEn eht nepo

  • #247
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    862

    ° Ignore Neil1889
    OOC: Is that a full round of surprise actions or just the one, Someone?

  • #248
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    Someone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Porcˇpolis
    Posts
    6,537

    ° Ignore Someone
    GM: It's a regular surprise round. IIRC, that means a single standard action

  • #249
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    395

    ° Ignore weldon
    Shun moves towards the bridge (J9) and prepares to meet any orcs that attempt to cross.
    L4W Character: Finnian, 4th Level Longtooth Shifter Beastmaster
    L4W Character: Shun, 1st Level Wilden Stormheart Warden

  • #250
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    862

    ° Ignore Neil1889
    Lilli moves over to stand somewhat behind Shun, but ready to support his defence.

    actions
    Moves to L6.

    Initiative for the coming round: 13
    Roll Lookup


  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 236
      Last Post: Wednesday, 9th January, 2013, 06:32 PM
    2. Adventure: A Tale of Two Domains (DM:Luinnar, Judge:renau1g)
      By Luinnar in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 948
      Last Post: Sunday, 26th February, 2012, 06:59 AM
    3. Replies: 605
      Last Post: Tuesday, 27th December, 2011, 04:37 PM
    4. Replies: 486
      Last Post: Friday, 9th December, 2011, 05:04 AM
    5. Adventure: Delivery of Death (DM: Luinnar, Judge: renau1g)
      By Luinnar in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 730
      Last Post: Sunday, 1st May, 2011, 08:23 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •