Adventure: The stolen staff (DM: Someone. Judge: Luinnar)

Someone

Adventurer
Noris awaits you in front of the Hanged Man with other two humans and several horses.

"We have a long way before us. We'll leave as soon everyone arrives."

[sblock=ooc]
Welcome to "the stolen staff", which will be my third adventure as a DM here in the L4W boards. It's a published adventure and it may be a bit long by PbP standards, though it's normally a bit short for regular play.

We'll be using the Malenkirk conventions for combat, which in short means that all the enemies will be acting in the same initiative count. Player initiative is only mportant for knowing who goes before the monsters; otherwise, whoever posts first goes first in a given round, with the caveat that you can only benefit from a condition inflicted by a pnother party member once, no matter how the acting order is shuffled.

Additionally I encourage you to speed up combat by making the neccesary rolls that may result from your actions, even if someone else or the DM is supposed to make them. For example, you may move an enemy over the edge of a cliff - this normally requires the DM to save for it to determine if the monster falls down or just prone, but in this case you should make the save yourself.

If you have any question don't hesitate to ask them[/sblock]

Last edited:

A small dark figure creeps into view from the shadows. It wasn't until the figure had actually started moving that Noris realized that he had actually seen the mass of dark grey and black in the corner of his view. As the figure approaches, it seems to look around before obviously moving into the deepest available shadow. When the figure finds the shadow, it pulls back its deep hood, showing locks of dark black hair and icy blue eyes.

Vyrna looks around for the others who signed up for this job, and not seeing any of them yet, she then looks back at Noris.

"I'm here. We never really discussed payment or the rules. I'd like to know what I'm getting in exchange for risking my neck, and I also need to know who I can ea--gerly attack and who I can't."

Neil1889

First Post
The diminutive figure of the 3'4" tall female appears at the far end of the street. She makes her own sweet time towards the gathering outside of the tavern and when she does arrive she makes a point of staying upwind of the tavern entrance. She smiles at the those around her.

"Glad you haven't left yet! Books borrowed returned, affairs now settled and all that. Oh, um, I'm not much of a horsewoman; I would be better off in the company of a better rider, if that's part of the plan. Nice horses, though. Er, where are we going roughly? I'd like to leave a note for my colleagues."

Someone

Adventurer
"I'm here. We never really discussed payment or the rules. I'd like to know what I'm getting in exchange for risking my neck, and I also need to know who I can ea--gerly attack and who I can't."

"Master Charles is a fair man. I'm not the one who can promise you any certain amount of coin, but I'm sure the price will be enough to satisfy you."

"As I said yesterday, I'm not sure what attacked the manor. I only know they were swift killers. We'll learn more when we arrive."

"Glad you haven't left yet! Books borrowed returned, affairs now settled and all that. Oh, um, I'm not much of a horsewoman; I would be better off in the company of a better rider, if that's part of the plan. Nice horses, though. Er, where are we going roughly? I'd like to leave a note for my colleagues."

Noris nods. "You may be able to ride with one of us, on on the horse with the baggage, if that's what you want."

"Also, seems we have some time for a note. Tell them we're going to Suha Manor, two days ride to the north."

Neil1889

First Post
Noris nods. "You may be able to ride with one of us, on on the horse with the baggage, if that's what you want."

"Also, seems we have some time for a note. Tell them we're going to Suha Manor, two days ride to the north."

"Merely 25 summers and I'm already described as baggage. Oh, what a cruel fate."

Lilli holds her breath and enters the tavern.

She returns about ten minutes later, looking a little sad, but ready.

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Eva steps out of a nearby shop wearing a new backpack stuffed with supplies. She looks back and forth like a lost child for a few moments, but she then notices the party and walks toward them.

"Is this for the job that Mr. Ryan spoke of? I was sure he would be here with that zombified head... No matter! I'm Eva, at your service." The elf girl nods to Noris in greeting.

[sblock=ooc]I'll go ahead and use Dark Orchid as Eva's speaking text. Sienna just doesn't scream "necromancer" to me.
Here's Eva's character sheet, along with picture if you need one, Someone.[/sblock]

weldon

Explorer
Shun comes around the corner and looks around before approaching the group

Well, are we ready to move out then? The sooner we put this gods forsaken town at our stern, the better I say.

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: I think that's everyone

Once everyone arrives and are on top of a horse, with more or less skill, the group marches north, further inland, through the fields that feed the city of Daunton. The area is as safe as it can be outside well-manned walls, though it sees it share of adventure, bandits and monsters from time to time, though you find nothing of the sort.

As you advance further north hills and mountains become clearer in the horizon and the terrain becomes more rugged and poorer. You may be not so far from the coast, where the most propserous settlements flourish, but is enough to make the zone less civilized and more feral. Road patrols are less regular but more numerous, and plowed fields gather around villages. Still, the influence of Daunton still extends here and you learn the most people here live from selling their products -various foods, furs, wool, ore and such - in the big city.

So, you finally arrive at Suha Manor an hour after night falls. It's a fortified house built on a small hill or mound, surrounded by a tough wooden palisade whose gates open to receive you. An old man whose clothes stand out among those who surround him approaches. A boy with a lantern stands at his side.

"Is this what you've got, Noris? Humph."

"Very well. Come with me, we have to talk. You, see that they bring food to the west room."
he says, talking alternatively to you, Noris and a servant, then turns and walks back to the house.

Karlowitch

First Post
Before the group enters the manor, loud horse/pony back riding can be heard in the distance, along with some very pompous singing.

A small armed group of dwarfs and a human comes into view riding fast towards the palisade. As they get closer they raise what seems to be small kegs with handles in a friendly greeting to the guards while singing Jug Of Punch.

[sblock=Jug Of Punch]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One evening in the month of June
As I was sitting in my room
A small bird sat on an ivy bunch
And the song he sang was "The Jug Of Punch."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay,
too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
A small bird sat on an ivy bunch
And the song he sang was "The Jug Of Punch."
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What more diversion can a man desire?
Than to sit him down by an alehouse fire
Upon his knee a pretty wench
And upon the table a jug of punch.
[/FONT]
too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
Upon his knee a pretty wench
And on the table a jug of punch.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Let the healers come with all their art
They'll make no impression upon my heart
Even a cripple forgets his hunch
When he's snug outside of a jug of punch.
[/FONT]
T too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
Even a cripple forgets his hunch
When he's snug outside of a jug of punch.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And if I get drunk, well, me gold is me own
And them don't like me they can leave me alone
I'll chune me fiddle and I'll rosin me bow
And I'll be welcome wherever I go.
[/FONT]
T oo ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
I'll chune me fiddle and I'll rosin me bow
And I'll be welcome wherever I go.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And when I'm dead and in my grave
No costly tombstone will I crave
Just lay me down in my native peat
With a jug of punch at my head and feet.
[/FONT]
Too ra loo ra loo, too ra loo ra lay
Just lay me down in my native peat
With a jug of punch at my head and feet.
[/FONT]​
[/sblock]

When the armed group reaches the Palisade, only the human and one of the dwarfs are allowed to access closer to the manor. Quickly Norris and rest of the group recognises the human as to be Ryan but no one knows who the dwarf is.

This powerful dwarf looks to be a war-veteran and bears many scars to his neck, face and arms. What is most noticeable about the dwarf, is his wicked beard and his large silver battle axe with a golden encrusted skeleton head symbol on each side.

The human introduces the dwarf to be known as Ragnar Battlebone, also known as the Bane of all Undeads, from the Valley of Bone. The dwarf nods in greeting to the group " Gents, Ladies "

Ryan makes an half-apologetic bow towards Norris " I am sorry for my late arrival, but I ran into some kinsmen in Daunton " and the dwarf agrees while laughing " Aye, what be the chances?! It's not every day you meet a human Bonebreaker! " and he gives Ryan a powerful clap on the shoulder. " We borrowed the lad for the night with a promise to return him here if he didn't catch you at the Hanged Man "

Ryan turns to face the dwarf. He places a firm hand on Ragnar's shoulder and he returns the gesture " well, master dwarf, it's been a pleasure to drink, boast and hunt in your company... It's just a shame we didn't catch that vampire. " and the dwarf nods " Aye lad. Too many civilians have already lost their lives to this beast, we will return and see if we can track it down. Honour to your clan Ryan! And pay my regards to Randal when he wakes up! "

The war-veteran turns to leave and Ryan shouts after him " I will and honour to your clan as well! Good hunting! ". Ryan now turns to the group " now, what did I miss? "

[sblock=OOC]
Sorry for the late entry, been too busy to make a good post. And now everybody should be here ;).

To Someone: Looks like a fair set of rules. Looking forward to see what you have in store for us :D!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases