Scifi movies, anime, western animation and video games with transhumansim

tecnowraith

First Post
I got into the rpg Eclipse Phase, that I am also currently playing, that has brain-tapping or mind transfer (or downloading your mind) from android body to android body and the Android bodies in the setting can be biological or synthetic robotic bodies. So I wanted to know if were any movies, anime, western animation and video game with type of transhumanism element. The ones I can think are Ghost in the Shell, Avatar, The island maybe, Dollhouse (tv series) and Surrogates. Any others that I am missing with this particular theme?

I'm basicly looking for anything (not already listed in the corebook for references) of space action/adventure brain uploading to android bodies and the games tech level of the game's vehicles and gear.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Questor Tapes fall loosely into this category.

Dr. Who's Cybermen are a good example.

The concept shows up numerous times in The Twilight Zone and all eras of Star Trek, especially the original series.

FWIW, it is all over comic books: the Vision, Robotman, Brainiac, Manhunter, Red Tornado, the original Human Torch...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Huh. Okay, well, there's a whole lot to "transhumanism" than uploading your mind into a different body. Which is only to say that your thread title may get folks commenting on other than the topic you're actually looking for.

I know of several books that deal with the subject, but not too many movies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The concept also shows up in the newer versions of Thw Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.

In many of the appearances in TV, the concept is paired with a plot in which the transhuman in question doesn't know they are not normal humans for a good portion of the storyline.

Last edited:

RainOfSteel

Explorer
I'm basicly looking for anything (not already listed in the corebook for references) of space action/adventure brain uploading to android bodies and the games tech level of the game's vehicles and gear.
Anything not listed in the Corebook's reference list?

Some staggering major omissions from the novels list are:

• The Golden Age ~ John C. Wright
    • The Golden Age
    • The Phoenix Exultant
    • The Golden Transcendence
  • The Orphans Trilogy ~ Sean Williams, Shane Dix
    • Echoes of Earth
    • Orphans of Earth
    • Heirs of Earth

I'm surprised the movies section does not list The Matrix, maybe they thought it was overly obvious.

For Manga, they overlooked:

Appleseed
Battle Angel Alita
Blame!, Noise, and Biomega.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Falling Skies loosely falls into this category as well- the main aliens we see through the bulk of season 1 are altered humans.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases