Portraits

Mondain

First Post
I've just started drawing again after some years off (have never had much confidence in it). I used to do PC portraits for my old AD&D 2e, Warhammer frpg, Call of Cthulhu, and Rifts groups. Now that I am DMing two 3e games, because I cannot find the art I want I am more or less trying to do it on my own. I used to use pencil & paper for art but I've been trying to do it with Paintshop Pro and in the last two days have been trying to improve. I am new to EN World and figured this forum is a good place to post portraits and other art. I only have a few right now and some aren't that good (I am still learning).

This is what got me started in the first place. One of my players wanted a picture of my primary villain, Mondain (yes borrowed from Ultima, I award bonuses for anyone able to pick out gaming trivia details in my campaign), who was depicted in a black marble bust. I did not have any pic and felt bad so I decided to look for a pic of him. I could not find anything even close (I checked Elfwood and even pro galleries), so I made my own pic. I was not too hot in the first attempt and will probably redraw this one, adding in all the missing detail.

Mondain%20001.gif

This was my second foray into Paintshop Pro, with which I was having a little more success (still getting used to the mouse). He is Dante of Kelemvor, a cleric of the Faerunian God of Death and integral character in my campaign. Although, maybe the pic does not convey it well he is a silvered aasimar of sorts. I was still just trying to get some basic skills down with this one.

[IMG]http://www.100megsfree.com/nyarlathotep/Sosaria/Dante%20001.gif

This character is a fire genasi pyromancer I am developing for an encounter with my PCs, and my third attempt with Paintshop. Because they are so overpowered (we take turns DMing a multiverse now and I am DM no. 2 and the last guy was new to D&D) I've really had to make him overpowered. He's got four shield guardians with a shot of quickened maximized repeat fireball and I gave him Simbul's Spell Matrix from Magic of Faerun. :) He is named Wrenda after the infamous villain from the first Wizardry game.

Wrenda%20001.gif

Anyway, let me know what you think of these and if anyone would like me to keep posting them. If someone needs help with a portrait, I can try my best, too.

Dave S. aka Mondain

Mondain

First Post
Frost Giant

I decided to tinker around and practice again this morning. I worked on a frost giant with the symbol of Thrym on his helm. If I had more time I work do more but I have stuff to get done anyway this is the frost giant I worked on. Any suggestions are very welcome as I am new to working with Paintshop Pro and PC art and also have not been doing art in a while (besides that fact that I have no formal training).

Frost%20Giant%20001.gif

Dave S.

Julie

First Post
Nice work, I especially like your frost giant. Pretty impressive what you've done with Paint Shop pro considering that you have only just learned how to use it. I personally prefer the feel of a pencil and paper or a paintbrush. I like the watercolor effect you've used, it gives the giant a kind of tender look, unusual for a frost giant :) . It also gives the image volume, which I felt was lacking in your first two drawings. Keep up the good work.

Julie

Malessa

First Post
Impressive! Definately keep them coming!

I'm still learning PSP myself. Although I have yet to read the book, *yawn*. I found it better if I just scan a pic in and just start playing around with the tools. :p The best tool in there is the 'undo' arrow. It has saved my bacon more than anyone will know!:eek:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases