Upcoming Adventure Review

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have a game idea, but I am still a bit scattered brained from having been severely ill 18 months back. Maybe 6 months, maybe a year, maybe two.

sunshadow21

Explorer
To put in my two cents, DMing isn't too difficult, and I would likely be working on another adventure if I wasn't currently working two jobs for the forseeable future. There are plenty of experienced DMs around to ask questions of, and they generally are willing to help when they can.

soulnova

Explorer
I have GMd a Pathfinder campaing that went for a little over 2200 posts but, even then, it took me a long time of Playing Pathfinder to feel confident enough to run it, because English is not my main language and I suck at descriptions. We also posted blocks of 5 actions during encounters so we could resolve it quicker (and usually with no map). I'm much more lax with the rules compared to what I have played here. I also improvise a lot... I don't think I could run either this or a Society scenario.

sunshadow21

Explorer
If I could get a judge to look over my final numbers for Special Delivery, I would appreciate it.

Soulnova, it's actually not as hard as it seems being in this kind of environment. The hardest part is figuring out the math and time xp/gp, and experienced folk can easily help with that. The rest is essentially the same as a homebrew since you are the one writing the adventure. And I also tend to improvise a fair bit, even in these games. As long as the final challenges are reflected in the final math, it all works out in the end.

Mr.Tinker

First Post
I must admit that I have been tempted making an adventure. I have also been reading Perrinmillers guide to DM's.

There are somethings that are holding me back though. To name a few, I have never DM'ed before and know little of DM'ing. I haven't played PBP that much and was hoping that with my first character would be able to get an impression of how games run, which is one of the major factors holding me back. And, I wanted to get to know you guys and the world better before making my mark as a DM. I know that I will eventually submit an adventure, I am just not sure when.

I just wanted to share a newbies view on the subject ;-) .

sunshadow21

Explorer
I must admit that I have been tempted making an adventure. I have also been reading Perrinmillers guide to DM's.

There are somethings that are holding me back though. To name a few, I have never DM'ed before and know little of DM'ing. I haven't played PBP that much and was hoping that with my first character would be able to get an impression of how games run, which is one of the major factors holding me back. And, I wanted to get to know you guys and the world better before making my mark as a DM. I know that I will eventually submit an adventure, I am just not sure when.

I just wanted to share a newbies view on the subject ;-) .

I ran my first adventure before my 1st character was even 2nd level with as barely any pbp experience. That simple adventure led to two more that opened up the northern area of the Baronies. A quick adventure for a bunch of 1st levels is easy to put together and run. If you want help, you can pm myself, and probably any of the judges or current DMs, and we can help you put it all together.

Mr.Tinker

First Post
I ran my first adventure before my 1st character was even 2nd level with as barely any pbp experience. That simple adventure led to two more that opened up the northern area of the Baronies. A quick adventure for a bunch of 1st levels is easy to put together and run. If you want help, you can pm myself, and probably any of the judges or current DMs, and we can help you put it all together.
wow, that is pretty impressive ! Hmm, I had some time off today and just for fun made a quick sketch of a possible adventure. I will send it to you, so you can take a look at it ! Still no promises on making an adventure as of yet, but soon !

Satin Knights

First Post
Okay, I can see wanting to get a little PbP experience under your belt first before jumping in. So, maybe in six months, Mr. Tinker could be ready.

Here is another tidbit. We at LPF don't repeat adventures. So, you can read any of the other adventures to get clues and helpful hints as to style and what works.
a) The group initiative style runs faster than individual initiatives. It also lends itself better to the chaos of battle. Not everything is precisely coordinated in a fight.
b) A combat summary block lists the party's HP and AC. Once a party member has identified the bad guys with a knowledge check, you can list the bad guys' AC and HPs too. Or you can leave it at general 4? for somewhere in the forties. AC is best to display early so a player knows if his hit succeeded or not.
c) Lots of descriptive text about the surroundings and action helps set the mood. I run dry there at times. PM is better at that one.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Any adventure perrinmiller has run would be a good one to read for a good example on how to run a game. Any of the experienced DMs would be fine but perrin uses a format that is clear and I model my own games after it. Sometimes people look at the precise blocks of information in every combat post and feel overwhelmed but it is really easy to maintain when you quote your previous post and change only the information that has changed. Saves a lot of time.

I've also found that images enhance the experience immensely. My description may be terrible but if I make an attempt and provide an image it works better.

Remove ads