Upcoming Adventure Review

Qik

First Post
Sounds good - I'd be curious to see what an IronWolf adventure is like!

Even if my two PCs are tied up, perhaps I'll have enough DMC for a 3rd by then...

jkason

First Post
Er... Veniarus may actually end up as third level pending the end of this little 1 shot that Perrin has me on, depending on the XP rewards.

Should have responded to this earlier. Apologies.

The APL for the adventure is 5. For me, that involves recruiting characters in the 4-6 range, 1 level below or above the APL.

While technically Veniarus could enter a party at level 3 if he had a level 7 character to balance him (say, if [MENTION=88649]perrinmiller[/MENTION] decides to us DMC to level Cythera again), I've found that a level disparity of more than 2 makes it extremely difficult to have encounters that work for everyone. Either the high level characters are wiping the floor with everyone without breaking a sweat, and / or the low level characters are hiding in the corner / getting their behinds handed to them.

I don't think that's fun to play, and I know it wouldn't be fun for me to run. I still find the crunch of running games taxing; the added complexity of having to try to adjust a bunch of encounters (either ahead of time or on the fly) makes the whole thing too frustrating for me, I'm afraid.

Mind you, as long as it's taking to have a party available, Veniarus may be level 4 or higher by then, so the whole discussion becomes moot. :p

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I am working on leveling up Veniarus and getting the three players in Bloodcove Disguise back to go on something new.

Maybe Systole will have something for Kalinn and Cythera later.

Systole

First Post
An adventure submission from me is probably going to be pushed back a bit. I've got finals and other weirdness in my life right now.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
An adventure submission from me is probably going to be pushed back a bit. I've got finals and other weirdness in my life right now.

No worries. Cythera and Kalinn are not available for a couple of weeks and then they can spend some time RPing first.

Knock em' dead, Systole. :)

perrinmiller

Adventurer
As a resource for quickie adventures, I'll throw 5 Room Dungeons | Roleplaying Tips out there.
I thought I would mention this here as Systole posted this in my DM Workshop thread.

I offer a suggestion to DMs that are looking to run something. In most cases, anything longer that a few encounters is running into a player attrition problem.

I would either develop your adventure with intermissions or points where you can return to a place for recruiting. Or, keep things shorter and develop mini-adventures. You can always string them together to make a longer campaign.

I have been lucky so far with Scourge of the Howling Horde, but looking at Bloodcove Disguise they have 50% of their party of six NPC'd right now. I know Expansion had similar issues, but Sunshadow21 had points where we could bring players in and out.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
In carrying with some advice themed posts, here is a series I ran on my blog on successful PbP gaming. The first three articles are geared for the GM and provide advice for pacing, narrative and props. The final is advice for the PbP player. Might be useful some folks:

The Iron Tavern - Play-by-Post Advice
Great stuff! I like it and there are few things I hadn't included. I quoted your post and indorsed it on my Workshop thread.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases