General Discussion

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
From what I can tell, jkason is correct on the pricing. For the moment I'll let her sit on the coin and save up, I think.

So if someone wants to give her an eyeball as I did get one magic item (Bracers of Armor +1 was what I selected) then I'll be all set.

Satin Knights

First Post
The brass knuckles method would be the expensive route to go. It would be 8,301 for each hand for a +1 Shock Brass Knuckles for at total of 16,602 gp.

Since Flurry of Blows allows the monk to attack as if he had the two weapon fighting feat, it would require the monk to attack with a second weapon, instead of striking twice with a single weapon. Hence, needing brass knuckles for each hand.

Since the monk already does lethal damage with his hands, and the damage amount is taken as the higher amount that the monk's hands do, the only advantageous set of brass knuckles, for a monk, is a silver or adamantine set that is used to bypass DR. For other classes, they have a little more use, but the cestus still beats brass knuckles.

For a monk, the preferred weapon is the Amulet of Mighty Fists. A +0 Shock Amulet of Mighty Fists would cost 5,000 gp to have both fists attack with the Shock property. With this route, you are sacrificing the +1 enchantment to attack and damage, but gaining the +3.5 average elemental damage. At 20,000 gp, you can do +0 Cold & Shock or +1 Shock. The amulet is the one exceptional "weapon-like" item that does not require a +1 enchantment before adding special weapon abilities. And shock is better than flaming, because you are less likely to set a flame someone's scroll that will eventually become loot.

I will take a look at the character in just a bit.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
The brass knuckles method would be the expensive route to go. It would be 8,301 for each hand for a +1 Shock Brass Knuckles for at total of 16,602 gp.

After some poking about on the web, that's the same thing I came out to.

Satin Knights said:
Since Flurry of Blows allows the monk to attack as if he had the two weapon fighting feat, it would require the monk to attack with a second weapon, instead of striking twice with a single weapon. Hence, needing brass knuckles for each hand.

That was the other piece I was trying to get to. Seems to make sense that it would be access to combination blows, not repeat blows from the same hand.

Satin Knights said:
Since the monk already does lethal damage with his hands, and the damage amount is taken as the higher amount that the monk's hands do, the only advantageous set of brass knuckles, for a monk, is a silver or adamantine set that is used to bypass DR. For other classes, they have a little more use, but the cestus still beats brass knuckles.

Hmm. Interesting thought, special materials. Proved cost prohibitive in getting her a staff earlier but will kept hat in mind.

Satin Knights said:
For a monk, the preferred weapon is the Amulet of Mighty Fists. A +0 Shock Amulet of Mighty Fists would cost 5,000 gp to have both fists attack with the Shock property. With this route, you are sacrificing the +1 enchantment to attack and damage, but gaining the +3.5 average elemental damage. At 20,000 gp, you can do +0 Cold & Shock or +1 Shock. The amulet is the one exceptional "weapon-like" item that does not require a +1 enchantment before adding special weapon abilities. And shock is better than flaming, because you are less likely to set a flame someone's scroll that will eventually become loot.

LOL! Totally hadn't thought of that. Shock can be fun and good for dramatic effect. As I also am a fan of writing fluff in my posts, I would tend to throw in a knee or a kick for her if using Flurry. I assume the Amulet would allow any of those sorts of blows to be granted the shock effect?

Satin Knights said:
I will take a look at the character in just a bit.

Many thanks. :)

Satin Knights

First Post
Yes, the amulet would cover all the monk's bodily attacks. I did a quick review. The bracers also affect the flat footed AC, fixed. Rations have weight, fixed. Although, if you pick up any loot, you become encumbered. :p I also did a bit of reformatting to remove some scroll bars.

I have always hated those bracers because they are so expensive to get any good use out of, but since we have the sell back at 100%, it doesn't hurt to buy them.

Audra looks ready to jump in. I have made the adjustments so that she shows up in that game on the Adventures wiki page. Have fun.

DalkonCledwin

First Post
I am unsure, but shouldn't Roaming Dead be on the Adventure tracking page on the wiki? Not sure if I am allowed to post it up in there or not, but thought I would mention it as not being there in case it is mine or the judges in questions responsibility to post it up there

perrinmiller

Adventurer
If I replaced Anna with a GM-created NPC, would I also reduce the awards for everyone else?
And while I don't necessarily *like* awarding XP to NPC'ed characters, I'm not sure we should boost the xp rewards for the three remaining characters who had the help of an NPC'ed character. They get all the reward with no increase in risk.

I do think an NPC'ed character should not get time based XP or gold rewards though. As they weren't playing their character - the GM or a volunteer was.
An NPC that is a combatant (whether they are created by the DM or taken over by the DM from an AWOL player) must take a share of XP and treasure when the DM awards them. This is not a reduction, just a share they would be entitled to. Awards are for characters, not players. This will happen in Bloodcove Disguise too. Half the party is NPC'd right now.

Now actually APPLYING the awards to an NPC'd character (former player or DM's) is a different story. I would say a DM can do whatever he likes with an NPC he owns (I will with Ariel since she is no longer a player character but still around). An abandoned character, I think should not get to keep any awards time based or from encounters after their last post.

The only sticking point would be if the player returned after a month. I would say, they can get their time based awards restarted again and resume collecting encounter awards from that point forward, assuming the DM had not already dropped them from the game.

Now if the NPC is simply along for the ride as a guide, a person to be protected or very minor involvement then I would not reduce awards. I think a lot depends on the situation though and what seems reasonable in one case, might not in another.
I would count those NPC like hirelings. Mounts and hirelings don't get a share of the awards either, IIRC.

I am unsure, but shouldn't Roaming Dead be on the Adventure tracking page on the wiki?
Probably my job. I will take care of it.

IronWolf

blank
An NPC that is a combatant (whether they are created by the DM or taken over by the DM from an AWOL player) must take a share of XP and treasure when the DM awards them. This is not a reduction, just a share they would be entitled to. Awards are for characters, not players. This will happen in Bloodcove Disguise too. Half the party is NPC'd right now.

Agreed.

perrinmiller said:
I would say a DM can do whatever he likes with an NPC he owns (I will with Ariel since she is no longer a player character but still around). An abandoned character, I think should not get to keep any awards time based or from encounters after their last post.

Good point and agreed.

perrinmiller said:
The only sticking point would be if the player returned after a month. I would say, they can get their time based awards restarted again and resume collecting encounter awards from that point forward, assuming the DM had not already dropped them from the game.

I also agree with this.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Wow, we're all so agreeable. :) It's almost....scary.

(insert creepy, frightening music here)

Thanks for the once over SK. I find my scroll bar adjustments are screwy a lot, since I have a 17" monitor at work and a 23" HD Widescreen here at home. :) Not even going to mention the amount of scrolling required from the Powerbook.

I'll keep an eye out for jk to get me written in. It, like Treasure Hunt, seems to be moving at a nice, comfortable pace right now so I should get the gal up to speed before the hot and heavy comes down on our heads.

I'm wondering if she would have left some stuff behind or sold some of the stuff she had bought and not used. But, I can deal with that post adventure. Since she got little in the way of loot last adventure, I don't see it being a huge problem this time around.

Yeah, I know. Whoa. Artur is posting on a Saturday? Hey, stranger things have happened. I've posted on Sunday before. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases