General Discussion

Walking Dad

First Post
So you can never beat metal based DR with a spear you have made of darkwood to make sundering harder?

But a "normal" wood spear works with different material tips?

---

I know that the benefits are listed, but what does your proposal mean?

Weight reduction on a darkwood/adamantine spear and beating DR/adamantine? Or only one or the other (which doesn't make sense IMHO).

GlassEye

Adventurer
So you can never beat metal based DR with a spear you have made of darkwood to make sundering harder?

According to RAW, that is correct. An item can only gain the listed benefits from one special material.

But a "normal" wood spear works with different material tips?

Maybe, maybe not. The rules are vague. A strict reading might say that a spear can only benefit from being darkwood. Since spears are called out as being capable of gaining the benefits of darkwood, wood would be their 'most prevalent material' making them incapable of gaining benefits from other special materials. This is not an interpretation that I favor for LPF.

I know that the benefits are listed, but what does your proposal mean?

For items that are partially wood and partially metal, the player can choose to have either the wood component or the metal component benefit from a special material without having to worry about the 'most prevalent material' phrasing. Still, there can be only one.

Weight reduction on a darkwood/adamantine spear and beating DR/adamantine? Or only one or the other (which doesn't make sense IMHO).

Only one or the other. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, that's the way the rule is written.

Walking Dad

First Post
Maybe written in the rules, but what happens in game reality? Outfitting a darkwood spear with a silver tip makes it suddenly weight more and breaking easier? That or the werewolf ignores the silver if fastened to a stick?

If this is in fact the rule in Pathfinder, I see a great need for a houserule.

(not trying to be a jerk either, but this breaks my verisimilitude more than guys swimming in their full plates)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I am considering a few options for a character level up and was wondering if an player/GM has encountered a character build that had Dazzling Display and how effective it is in combat?

If you're looking for Zelena, though, I'd think the -4 penalty to Intimidate larger foes might make it less practical and possibly not worth the two feat slots for a gnome unless you had a growth ability you could use multiple times a day.

'Taunt' is a feat from the APG that allows the use of Bluff rather than Intimidate for demoralizing opponents; it also eliminates the penalties for size difference. I've got a Brownie PC in a homebrew game that uses it pretty effectively, and it makes for some good RP opportunities.

jkason

First Post
'Taunt' is a feat from the APG that allows the use of Bluff rather than Intimidate for demoralizing opponents; it also eliminates the penalties for size difference. I've got a Brownie PC in a homebrew game that uses it pretty effectively, and it makes for some good RP opportunities.

Excellent. I'd not looked at that one before. And, yeah, it sounds like it'd be some fun RP-wise, having a sharp-witted small character shattering the self-esteem of wide-shouldered brutes. :)

Systole

First Post
Maybe written in the rules, but what happens in game reality? Outfitting a darkwood spear with a silver tip makes it suddenly weight more and breaking easier? That or the werewolf ignores the silver if fastened to a stick?

If this is in fact the rule in Pathfinder, I see a great need for a houserule.

(not trying to be a jerk either, but this breaks my verisimilitude more than guys swimming in their full plates)

I'm with WD on this. Not trying to be a jerk, but RAW is either poorly worded or just plain crap.

I think what WD was saying a few posts ago is that there are different categories of benefits (hardness, weight, DR), and that you can only have one category in play. Therefore, if you get a darkwood silver-tipped spear, you get the hardness and weight of darkwood, with the DR and damage penalty for silver. But you can't get DR of both cold iron and silver, for example.

jkason

First Post
Can a ranger with glide cast on him currently float on top of a wind wall?
Just wanted to get others opinions.

Wind Wall - Pathfinder_OGC
Glide - Pathfinder_OGC

I'd think it makes sense that a glider would fly up like other 'loose objects,' but since the spell's meant to deflect, I think the glider would also be stuck on whichever side of the wall he started from, gliding away from the wall each time his path encountered it.

Others' mileage may vary.

Satin Knights

First Post
Yes, with great difficulty.
Fly check DC 15 to hover vs. Fly skill roll - 8 (for clumsy glide) - 8 (windstorm that blows away small flyers) - Armor Check Penalty +/- 2 DM appreciation of creativity

To use the windwall just to gain altitude, it would be DC 10 vs roll - same.

With a high DEX and a lot of ranks in fly, it can be done. Without, nope.

Remove ads