General Discussion

Songdragon

Explorer
'Taunt' is a feat from the APG that allows the use of Bluff rather than Intimidate for demoralizing opponents; it also eliminates the penalties for size difference. I've got a Brownie PC in a homebrew game that uses it pretty effectively, and it makes for some good RP opportunities.

*nods* I know the feat, having a small character. (The -4 to Intimidate sucks, but is understandable.)

Thanks for the opinions all. I just wanted to know how well it worked as it seems a great option for a support character.

jackslate45

First Post
Yes, with great difficulty.
Fly check DC 15 to hover vs. Fly skill roll - 8 (for clumsy glide) - 8 (windstorm that blows away small flyers) - Armor Check Penalty +/- 2 DM appreciation of creativity

To use the windwall just to gain altitude, it would be DC 10 vs roll - same.

With a high DEX and a lot of ranks in fly, it can be done. Without, nope.

Ya, I figured it would be tough. It was a random thought that popped into my head when I got bored at work.

Note to self: int helm with ranks in fly.

jkason

First Post
After having Nathan pummeled to within an inch of his life by sling stones, I'm on the lookout for extra protection, especially versus ranged attacks, since I'm obviously going to be trying to avoid melee with him. I'm wondering about Gloves of Arrow Snaring.

Mostly, I'm wondering what the consensus might be on the combination of phrases here (emphasis mine):

Item Description said:
Twice per day, the wearer can act as if he had the Snatch Arrows feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites for the feat.

Snatch Arrows Feat said:
When using the Deflect Arrows feat you may choose to catch the weapon instead of just deflecting it.

If a character doesn't have the Deflect Arrows feat, can he or she still catch arrows with the gloves? My assumption is that the intent of saying "even if he does not meet the prerequisites" is to say you can snatch without having to deflect first, But since the Snatch Arrows description explicitly says that you're substituting it for a Deflect attempt, I'm not sure.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
After having Nathan pummeled to within an inch of his life by sling stones, I'm on the lookout for extra protection, especially versus ranged attacks, since I'm obviously going to be trying to avoid melee with him. I'm wondering about Gloves of Arrow Snaring.

Mostly, I'm wondering what the consensus might be on the combination of phrases here (emphasis mine):

If a character doesn't have the Deflect Arrows feat, can he or she still catch arrows with the gloves? My assumption is that the intent of saying "even if he does not meet the prerequisites" is to say you can snatch without having to deflect first, But since the Snatch Arrows description explicitly says that you're substituting it for a Deflect attempt, I'm not sure.

My interpretation would be you are correct in that being the reason for the explicit even if you do not meet the prerequisites. If memory serves, deflect is a prerequisite for snatch. So twice per day it would operate as if you had the Snatch Arrows feat (Now, if it applies to all ammo or just arrows... :) )

jackslate45

First Post
My interpretation would be you are correct in that being the reason for the explicit even if you do not meet the prerequisites. If memory serves, deflect is a prerequisite for snatch. So twice per day it would operate as if you had the Snatch Arrows feat (Now, if it applies to all ammo or just arrows... :) )

so you really could stop bullets.

jkason

First Post
(Now, if it applies to all ammo or just arrows... :) )

The text of Deflect Arrows references ranged weapon attacks in general, so I'm confident it applies to all ranged attacks except those exempted in the text. My main concern, though, is that Snatch Arrows doesn't lay out the same conditions. It doesn't say "Once per round when you would normally be hit with an attack from a ranged weapon..." with a condition that you can't also Deflect in the same round. It says "When using the Deflect Arrows feat." So, are part of the conditions for using the feat (as opposed to the prereqs for taking the feat) that you have to have access to Deflect?

Like I said, I think the intent is closer to "when you meet the conditions for using the Deflect Arrows feat," and they just wanted to use more concise wording. My concern, though, is that as written folks might interpret the feat such that Gloves of Arrow Snaring are only actually just a way to use one fewer feat (Snatch Arrows), rather than replacing the feat chain (Improved Unarmed Strike / Deflect Arrows / Snatch Arrows) 2x / day.

Obviously, I prefer the latter interpretation. :)

treex

First Post
Hi, guys. I'm a new (almost) regular at the 4E sections of ENworld and thought I'd like to give PF a try. So far, I've been drawn most to the Wizards. Same thing happened when I started 4e, meh. In fact, I always play the most magicky class there is, no matter what game I'm playing, guess old habits die hard.

I've played some NWN, just some, and more or less understand the spell slot system. What I'm not sure about is feat selection, as I haven't touched those yet. And prestige classes. So far, I'm looking to make a tiny person (any race, hopefully with +INT, just smaller than most) whose goal is to learn...every spell available.

Which brings up two problems, what prestige class should I dabble in? And how can I get my hands on a Blessed Book? I'm hoping that they mean you can find the book, only it'll {always be a clean copy} and not {you can't find this as loot}.

I was thinking of dipping Loremaster 3 to get the extra spell slots, but is there anything out there that's...just better in general?

EDIT: I'm also intimidated by the amount of math involved with stats affecting skills, as those were mostly calculated by the game engine I didn't pay much attention to those. (referring to INT affecting skill points) So, I haven't touched feats, stats or skills...sigh, that's pretty much 75% of everything.

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Well, the obsessive nature of your quest fits well with a gnome wizard. Loremaster is okay, but you're actually better off staying straight wizard. In 3.5, you're better off dipping. In PF, you're almost always better off as the basic class, although there are exceptions.

For a good guide, try Treantmonk's Guide to Pathfinder Wizards: Being a God - Pathfinder_OGC . It's slightly dated as it was written before a couple of the expansion books, but it's still quite good.

EDIT: If you want a slightly less intimidating but still magic using class, you could try sorcerer. Unfortunately, no spellbook to obsess over. For a guide: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ae0QGAqQqqSpZGNicGM2eHRfM2R0ejVtN2d2&hl=en

treex

First Post
I just read it and...*sigh* this is why I try not to read CharOps. You end up throwing your original concept out the window in favor of something better mechanically. Suuure, Elf have a +2 INT but it's boring if every single spellcaster around was an Elf. *facedesk*

I HATE ELF MAGES. I HATE THEM SO MUCH, MY MAGE HATES ELF MAGES...
{idea} and he hates them because he's been abused by elf mages! Kept in some tower where promising elves practice various spells on him, they would blow him up, burn him, zap him, then heal him. Only to repeat the process.

By night, the other mages trick him, delude him, invigorate his mind and body and forces him to do their chores. There's always a mage who's bullying him with some fancy schmancy spell.

Then you know, he secretly tries to learn some stuff. Then stows away with some books, vowing vengeance to return and bring the place to the ground.

*tears*

EDIT: then I realized I can just be some elf ruffian and still get the +2...*sigh*
EDIT2: then then again...you wouldn't want to hurt your own kin, would you? stupid roleplay vs. rollplay choices...

Last edited:

Remove ads