General Discussion

GlassEye

Adventurer
What perrinmiller said. Sometimes the 'Add a Category' button at the bottom of the page is very slow and it's easier and quicker to add a category while editing the whole sheet.

And welcome to LPF!

Damage Inc.

First Post
Awww, I'll do that and thanks.

So are ninja and samurai from UC available for play in these forums? Can't remember reading much about this particular topic. Along with the weapons associated with these classes and from UC in general.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Good news is "Yep, I can do that."
Bad news is "It is just a glorified hand coded table."

Okay, I'm a moron. Sorry to waste your time. There are two table pages in that wiki, and I managed to link to the wrong one. The auto-generated one isn't the Character Status page, it's the Character Table page (I have no idea why they both exist):

http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Table

Now that one does pull a block of info off the individual pages, I believe. At least, I never added my character info (Devinihm) to it, but he appears up to date there. From what I could tell, it looks for pages with the L4W:Character template, then grabs the designated fields that have been filled out.

Mind, I like the layout / free-form nature of the LPF sheets much better than the graphically-heavier stuff going on at the L4W wiki, but thought if we could make a small template just for that basic info (with added player / location) fields that could be filled), we could have a decently easy reference while still allowing for customization on the rest of the sheet.

jkason

First Post
Awww, I'll do that and thanks.

So are ninja and samurai from UC available for play in these forums? Can't remember reading much about this particular topic. Along with the weapons associated with these classes and from UC in general.

I believe at the moment, there's only limited UC content available. This should be a current list:

Ultimate Combat - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki

Everything else currently would need judge approval to use (usually by adding a proposal on the specific element(s), which the judges can vote on after discussion). At the 6 month mark after publication, I think everything the judges haven't explicitly excluded become available for play.

I hope I got that right. :)

Satin Knights

First Post
OK. I looked at the L4W page and while possible, no for now.

A) It requires me to have admin rights to make changes to the wiki software, which I don't have currently. I could use those to add other widgits like spoiler tags.
B) Runs off a third party extension. I would need admin rights to install the extension.
C) The current documentation page for that extension has at least one web/JS virus attached to it.
D) The extension is marked known to be an easy cross-site scripting disaster usable to steal userids/passwords or change server files. In other words, it has no security measures in place. And the wiki language parser is just too painful to try and write a security filter from scratch.

-SK
EDIT: The third party extension is the one that is marked as dangerous. Apparently the standard extension has enough of what I would need and is considered safe.

Last edited:

weldon

Explorer
I wrote the Character Table page on the L4W wiki. It does use the DPL extension to pull the info automatically from the existing templates. It is officially supported by wikia, you just have to ask them to turn it on for your site because it can cause a lot of problems (high server load / slow pages) if misused.

The security warnings apply to the DPL2 (third-party) extension, which is different.

If I can help with the LPF wiki, just let me know. I recently added the infobox_pc template that I put together for L4W so that [MENTION=6684473]CrimsonFlameWielder[/MENTION] could use it on LEB sheets too. It would be simple to add it to the LPF wiki as well.

The infobox would be the easiest way to put together a dynamic character status page. You would have to require that all character sheets use it to get the info on location, status, etc. The name, player, level, class, race, etc. are all available in the standard character templates as well and you are pretty much guaranteed to get those on every character.

One other relevant change that I made to the L4W wiki is that PC: is a true namespace, so it is possible to limit the query to just the PC namespace and only get character sheets instead of searching all admin, setting and adventure pages too.

Here's the info from wikia on how to use the DPL extension responsibly/effectively...

Help:DynamicPageList - Wikia Help
Help:Using DynamicPageList effectively - Wikia Help

If I can help with anything on your wiki, please ask. I'm happy to help.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was Living Pathfinder at first. Jumped over from a question asked in L4W. The offer to help still stands.

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
Out of boredom I made a page of the current games with their players at Roll Call. People liked it, but said it will fall stale if it isn't made dynamically. Well, the page could be done dynamically, but:
1) a game only starts or stops about once a month.
2) dynamic pages chew cpu cycles every time and the help pages pretty much beg not to over tax the system.
3) eidolons would be annoying exception handling.
4) I don't have admin rights, I do now, Thanks GE.

So, for the moment, I am not going to attempt a double nested dynamic replacement of the Roll Call page.
(hit preview, and state of mind changes)

I will take a look at getting it done without too much wear and tear on the server. I think there are debug strings I can pull that will tell me just how intense the background work on the page is.

weldon

Explorer
I will take a look at getting it done without too much wear and tear on the server. I think there are debug strings I can pull that will tell me just how intense the background work on the page is.
You can use allowcachedresults=true since the page is updated so infrequently. It won't put much load on the server that way.

As an aside, one of the philosophical debates over the use of dynamic page lists on L4W has been around the tension between making the "shared" lists simple but asking players to update multiple pages (their own character, a status page, an adventure history page, etc.) and making templates required but asking players to just keep their own character page updated (with multiple templates to provide the info for those different lists).

You guys might consider the balance that would be best for LPF.

IronWolf

blank
It sounds like people are leaning towards having the DWI and Pearl threads also moved to this forum and stickied as well? Is that accurate? Let's get some yay's and nay's and if people want that I can ping Umbran to move those two threads for us.

Edit: YES for moving DWI and Mystic Pearl here to be stickied.

And, YES for moving the DWI and the Pearl threads here with stickies.

Already voted YES for sticky-ing DWI and MP; second the props for IW and SK!

I also agree with the idea of moving the DWI and Mystic threads here as stickies. Last call for objections before I summon Umbran to help us out with that.

(Not trying to drag this decision out, just want to make sure folks are on board before the threads move.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases