General Discussion

Satin Knights

First Post
The request has been sent to Wikia staff to turn on the extra extension needed to do the dynamic page work. The contact form said it takes 2-3 days to get a reply.

IronWolf

blank
I also agree with the idea of moving the DWI and Mystic threads here as stickies. Last call for objections before I summon Umbran to help us out with that.

I posted a request for Umbran to move the DWI and Pearl threads to this forum. Once they arrive we can sticky them.

jackslate45

First Post
allright, I had a proposal question, which is directly related to the game I am running. What is considered material that is needing a proposal:

The new NPC's that are added in the game?

New shops added in the districts of town?

[sblock=SPOILER ALERT]
The villain who escapes the PC's clutches?

The organization that the villain belongs to?
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
If it comes up in your game it should be outlined in your adventure proposal. Since that requires a judge approval I don't believe those things would require an 'official' proposal thread with discussion. Even if they weren't detailed in your adventure proposal I think it should be okay to add those things as long as they fit the area they are being added to and don't invalidate something that already officially exists. For this reason, new setting information that is presented in game should be added to the wiki as soon as it is feasible to do so. Other DMs need to know what's out there.

IronWolf

blank
I posted a request for Umbran to move the DWI and Pearl threads to this forum. Once they arrive we can sticky them.

The Tavern and Pearl are now stickied threads in this forum. If anyone sees someone wandering the streets looking for their new location, please direct them here.

Satin Knights

First Post
I have made progress on making the static Roll Call page dynamically built from the characters sheets. The dynamic page is called Adventures. It processes in the following order.

Reads 00_The_Dunn_Wright_Inn for field values.
Reads all characters in the "The Dunn Wright Inn" category.
Then processes the subcategories of "Games" in alphabetical order, reading first the 00_game_name page, then the characters in the category.

The same dynamic page processor handles both "game description pages" that contain:
{{Char_Info_DIV
|Game_Name=Crypt of the Everflame
|Game_URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/299447-lpf-crypt-everflame-01-a.html
|Game_GM=Mowgli
|Game_Judge=GlassEye................If empty, label not printed
|Game_Start=in the past...............Field ignored at the moment
|Game_Active=yes.......................If not "yes", the page is ignored
|Game_Description=A town for generations has used a cursed crypt as a rites of passage test for its teenagers. Now, someone has awoken that curse and the advance party setting up the tests and traps has disappeared. Our brave adventurers have been hired to save the advance party...
}}

and then the characters that have a block of:

<!-- The next block is used to build dynamic pages of where the character is. -->
<!-- If the class and level field is kept up to date, one only needs to change -->
<!-- the category which contains their game name to move from one game to -->
<!-- another, or the Dunn Wright Inn. Try to keep the names and class lines to -->
<!-- 20 characters wide or less. Complicated strings like class 1<br>class 2 -->
<!-- can be used to do multiline class displays. -->
{{Char_Info_DIV
|Picture_filename=Kalgor.jpg .............Defaults to Placeholder_other.png
|Friendly_Name=Kalgor ....................Defaults to PageName before the (
|Player=Satin Knights .......................Defaults to PageName inside ()
|class_and_level=Mutt 4 ....................Defaults to "unknown level"
}}

I have been appending that block to the Basic Information block so it is easy to keep the class_and_level field updated. After the initial setup, the class_and_level is the only field that should be changing as a character levels.

The character is then added to a category of "Game Name". In my case the category is "Crypt of the Everflame". If the character sheet block doesn't exist, most of the fields are guessed and defaulted.

Each of the named game categories have to be a sub category of the Games category. (Yep, this is part of the convoluted one time setup stuff.) And the new category names are not showing in the ajax popups for selecting. That may just be a caching issue.

After all that, the page builds dynamically. It is taking 9-10 preprocessor calls per character to run. Considering that the limit is 1 million calls before the script stalls, we are being very good regarding cpu load on the server.

Several fields are defaulted if they don't exist, but there are still several ways to get "weird and funky" results for the page. Wiki code is the ugliest mess I have ever tried to code in. :p

So, before I go edit 50 some characters, is there anything else that people want the Adventures page to display?

perrinmiller

Adventurer
So far the dynamic page looks great. I think the Roll Call one is good too, so if you are able to do at least that dynamically it is awesome. Thanks much, BZ for you SK! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases