General Discussion

Satin Knights

First Post
A) PFS, which is what we occasionally fall back to if we haven't specifically hashed it out, says no.
B) A paladin is going to sit home brewing potions instead of saving orphanages?
C) If yes, then we open the "summoner scroll of (half his spell list)" can of worms.

So, I am leaning against allowing it.

Walking Dad

First Post
A) PFS, which is what we occasionally fall back to if we haven't specifically hashed it out, says no.
C) If yes, then we open the "summoner scroll of (half his spell list)" can of worms.

Same here, same reasons.

DalkonCledwin

First Post
what about getting such an item as a commissioned item from the Mystic Pearl. I am unsure how exactly that would alter the price -> time ratio or what have you, but I see no reason why asking for a specific individual to craft an item in a specific way is beyond the realm of possibility when done within the confines of a commissioned item. I mean that is basically what the meaning of commissioning an item means in the real world isn't it?

IronWolf

blank

Same here, same reasons.

Cool. I actually lean that way as well! But wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that thought that way and would be spending needless gold. I will try to buy them at more standard prices when Fulgrim hits the Mystic Pearl.

But really, for point B - of course it is a paladin with a bad knee that can only serve his order by cranking out these low cost potions! ;)

IronWolf

blank
what about getting such an item as a commissioned item from the Mystic Pearl. I am unsure how exactly that would alter the price -> time ratio or what have you, but I see no reason why asking for a specific individual to craft an item in a specific way is beyond the realm of possibility when done within the confines of a commissioned item. I mean that is basically what the meaning of commissioning an item means in the real world isn't it?

The cases I have heard against the paladin pricing as an option is point B that SK raised, that not many paladins would sit around assisting with brewing of potions. And if there was a paladin with a bum knee that did sit around making them they would realize that the majority of these potions sell on the open market for 300gp and would sell at market price not the niche price.

Satin Knights

First Post
If we allow it for potions the next guy will attempt to apply it to magic items. Boots of Speed cost 12,000 gp. But, a summoner only has a spell level x caster level multiplier of 2x4 instead of 3x5. So by the book, the Boots of Speed made by a summoner would be 8/15 ths of the cost in the book. Then the auditors have to figure out why big ticket items on the character sheets are not book price. Far too disruptive.

DalkonCledwin

First Post
what about in the rare instances of spells that only appear on the spell lists of specific classes. For example what if there were spells that only appeared on the summoner or paladin spell list that someone wanted as a potion or a scroll? Would we then assume that there is somewhere somehow a Paladin or a Summoner sitting at home making scrolls and potions of that particular spell?

I know, kind of a "What if: X" scenario, but it is a possible issue that could arise someday.

Satin Knights

First Post
OK. I went and found the PFS official stance in the Organized Play Guide for PFS on page 19:
"Potions, Scrolls and Wands
All potions, scrolls, wands, and other consumables are made by clerics, druids, or wizards in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. The only exceptions are spells that are not on the cleric, druid, or wizard spell list. For example, a scroll of lesser restoration must be purchased as a 2nd-level scroll off the cleric spell list and may not be purchased as a 1st-level scroll off the paladin spell list. If a spell appears at different levels on two different lists, use the lower level spell to determine cost. As an example, poison would be priced as a 3rd-level druid spell instead of a 4th-level cleric spell. All potions, scrolls, and wands are available only at minimum caster level unless found at a higher caster level on a Chronicle sheet.

For the sake of simplicity, there is no difference between an arcane and divine scroll or wand in Pathfinder Society Organized play. Thus a bard and cleric may both use the same scroll of cure moderate wounds."

So, that clarifies it fairly well. Lowest level of (Cleric, Druid, Wizard), or if not in there, lowest level of (the rest of them). And the second rule is more useful. Don't bother with arcane or divine versions, it just works.

Walking Dad

First Post
I totally like this. I vote to make is an official rule for LPF, too.

Edit: Bold green YES to make it my vote official ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases