Ultimate Magic

Satin Knights

First Post
Now that we have come to the six month anniversary of Ultimate Magic being out, material not specifically excluded in the wiki is available to use for LPF characters. To recap, the excluded parts are:

• From Chapter 2
    • Spellblights ~ No for now, may be revisited later for spell scarred lands surrounding elven gates
    • Spell Duels ~ PC vs PC fighting is not allowed
    • Binding Outsiders ~ too wordy and subjective
    • Building Constructs ~ no crafting, so no constructs
    • Spellbooks with Boons ~ wizards have enough power, too few examples, hard to balance customized designs
    • Designing Spells ~ Rare possibilities by proposal, but generally no.
  • Feats
    • The Antagonize Feat
    • Crafting feats due to the general prohibition on crafting feats for LPF
    • feats involving Spellblights
    • feats involving Words of Power
  • Words of Power ~ all
  • Spells involving Spellblights

DalkonCledwin

First Post
I don't see why Player vs. Player fighting cannot be allowed so long as it is stipulated in the rules for such that it has to be conducted in a formal non-lethal duel so that neither party is killed. (i.e. all damage produced from these duels is converted to non-lethal damage instead of lethal damage) or some similar ruling.

Qik

First Post
While I hear what you're saying, DC, I don't think the judges would want to open that can of worms. I could be wrong on that though, of course.

IronWolf

blank
I don't see why Player vs. Player fighting cannot be allowed so long as it is stipulated in the rules for such that it has to be conducted in a formal non-lethal duel so that neither party is killed. (i.e. all damage produced from these duels is converted to non-lethal damage instead of lethal damage) or some similar ruling.

PvP has a tendency to lead to conflicts between the actual players in my experience, even more likely in a play-by-post environment where it is really hard to read tone or body language of the other person. So what might start out as innocent fun can quickly escalate to players not getting along with each other. It just isn't a path I want to see LPF go down.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
PvP has a tendency to lead to conflicts between the actual players in my experience, even more likely in a play-by-post environment where it is really hard to read tone or body language of the other person. So what might start out as innocent fun can quickly escalate to players not getting along with each other. It just isn't a path I want to see LPF go down.
Yeah, we already had this issue with Borric. Best not to go there. ;)

DalkonCledwin

First Post

er... um... yeah that kind of hostility can develop in any interaction online. It isn't exclusive to PvP alone. I don't see why PvP has to be singled out like it is somehow unique among online interactions. Heck I just got banned from another forum simply because the moderators on the forum decided that they didn't agree with my opinion about this large segment of the user base that was continuously attempting to troll people in the single most subtle way possible.

jkason

First Post
While I agree with the pervasive nature of potential hostility online, I do think there's a case to be made that PvP is more acutely susceptible to it. Other character interactions may or may not be adversarial or conflict-based, but PvP is one character literally fighting another (lethal damage or non-). I think it's a bit difficult to argue that 'let's you and me fight' isn't naturally inclined to foster more conflict than 'let's you and me talk or play cards.' :)

DalkonCledwin

First Post
The thing is, I used to play in a Magic the Gathering RPG. And one of the key components of that RPG were PvP duels. This is because of the RPG being based on a Trading Card Game where duels between players were intrinsic components of the game. And I never once saw people having adversarial problems arise due to the duels in the game. On the other hand adversarial problems did arise due to other issues in relation to the game (mainly with relation to the hugely underdeveloped rules sets for the game) but I don't think that is as huge a problem here since this campaign setting is so heavily based on the official rules of Pathfinder.

blackwlf

First Post
Hey, new to the area, looking for a PF game to get into since they seem kind of scarce where I wandered in from (Myth-Weavers). I was considering getting a character together and just wondered, why is the Words of Power section disallowed? I see some reasons on other things, but couldn't find an explanation of this one, so I'm kind of curious. I rather like the system myself.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases