The "Welcome Newbies" stickie to show you where to get started.

CorwinIcewolf

First Post
Is there a forum of introducification somewhere? Also hello, thanks for the thread of welcoming. Also I wanted to ask about the no item creation rule thing, is the art of crafting magic items a well guarded secret known to only a few in this world or something? Not that I have a big problem with it. Just confused on how there can be scrolls and wands and stuff without anyone knowing how to make them.

Grayn

First Post
Hi folks!

I am brand new to Pathfinder. I wanted to give the original PnP game a swing before PFO was released. Now the only problem is, I haven't played a PnP game since AD&D.

That means I have a ton of questions! I figured I would start by hammering out a character for Living Pathfinder and learn on the way, but a little help would appreciated. :)

Is there an "Ask a simple question, get a simple answer" type thread? Or a "Help a newb" thread I missed?

Satin Knights

First Post
Hi. Welcome.

"No item creation" is purely to avoid the accounting nightmare of "well, he created it, so it costs 1/2" and custom items with overly optimized abilities. So, items are base cost, direct from the book. They are all the same cost for everyone, which is the book price. All magic items are bought and sold at the "Mystic Pearl" in one incarnation or another, no matter which city you are in. That way, the purchases and sales are tracked.

As to an introduction, start on the wiki and read about 20-30 pages from there. The gods, geography, races, factions, all of them will give you a sense of the world. Also read the first post in this thread. Between the two sources, you get a pretty good idea of the world and what to do.

Satin Knights

First Post
Hi folks!

I am brand new to Pathfinder. I wanted to give the original PnP game a swing before PFO was released. Now the only problem is, I haven't played a PnP game since AD&D.

That means I have a ton of questions! I figured I would start by hammering out a character for Living Pathfinder and learn on the way, but a little help would appreciated. :)

Is there an "Ask a simple question, get a simple answer" type thread? Or a "Help a newb" thread I missed?

Hi to you too.
For a simple question, where you only expect one reply will answer the question, General Discussion works. If it is just a character creation question, the Character Submission Thread works too. If you expect the conversation will require many replies, you can start a new thread in this forum.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
And to all the newbs here a friendly reminder that you need to post 10 times before you can place a link.

CorwinIcewolf

First Post
Hi. Welcome.

"No item creation" is purely to avoid the accounting nightmare of "well, he created it, so it costs 1/2" and custom items with overly optimized abilities. So, items are base cost, direct from the book. They are all the same cost for everyone, which is the book price. All magic items are bought and sold at the "Mystic Pearl" in one incarnation or another, no matter which city you are in. That way, the purchases and sales are tracked.

right... I figured there was something like that involved and it would seem like a logical thing for what amounts to a tabletop mmo. I was wondering if there was an in-character reason though...

Satin Knights

First Post
In character, no, not really. Enchanting items is not an adventurer's job. It has the same amount of excitement as accountant. It is an NPC job. The same as blacksmith or stable boy. Most of the enchanters are in the employ of the churches or the shops alone Arcane Row. The most famous of those is the Mystic Pearl. The first post of that thread will give you the details for shopping.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases