Character Submission Thread

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Weylyn Wealbetwyn is finished, except for background - I was really sleepy last night when I finished his mechanics so there are likely to be careless errors.

For his background I had some thoughts I really liked until I started actually writing them; once I started getting them down "on paper" I realized they didn't really work well. I got a very little something down just to indicate where he's originally from, but it needs fleshing out.

Also, I'm not really satisfied with his picture yet so I'll likely be working on that. But what I have on the Wiki will do for now.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
* I read commentary on Autumn's Charisma. I'd like to add a low Cha doesn’t mean that you just currently lack self-confidence, but that you will *always* lack self-confidence, barring substantial level-based investment in Charisma to just reflect character growth.

Right. I guess I meant it mean more lack of people skills and basic understanding of how society's work and how to function within. Like she doesn't know how to fit in, as opposed to lack of self-confidence. Maybe that can start low, but she can grow more confident, but she always feels like the outcast. Which serves her right especially when she starts morphing into animals and whatnot.

* The word demure (Appearance section) isn’t really much of a physical characteristic in the way you use it. It’s a matter of he mind behind the body—posture, eye-contact, etc. I’m not sure if it’s the word you’re looking for; you might want something else. Or, alternatively, you can modify the sentence to imply it’s how she presents herself (conscious or not.)

Much like Francis John III, that was me just throwing some word-diarrhea around. I can work on this too.

* Only the masterwork survival kit provides the +2 you cite in your skill list. You have the money for it, so I corrected cost and weight. If you prefer having the non-MW kit (5 gp, 4#), just revert the change and remove the reference to the +2.

That's what I meant, good catch.

* The name is very in tune with the character: seasons, animals, fire.

Thanks for noticing. If my wife and I ever had a girl, her name would be Autumn. But after two boys, our motto is "two and through". As for Foxfire, that may have been inspired by a certain internet-browser.

* Are you planning on casting arcane spells that spell failure comes into play?

Aren't all somatic spells subject to failure? Or needn't I worry.

Question: Do I need a spell component pouch in order to cast spells? And/or take the Eschew materials feat?

Question: Is every non-firearm/leadership option here fair game now? http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/characterBackground/traits.html

Question: Does reactionary and warrior of the old (both +2 initiative) stack for a plus 4?

Thanks: Thanks for all of the effort in looking her over. I will correct all of the other issues you mentioned too. I am guessing there really isn't a rush. But seriously, thank you again for your time.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
1. Aren't all somatic spells subject to failure? Or needn't I worry.

Question: 2. Do I need a spell component pouch in order to cast spells? And/or take the Eschew materials feat?

1. all arcane spells are subject to spell failure if they have a somatic component

2. pouch OR the feat for spells with a material component / focus with a cost of 1 gp or less. I think.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Thanks for noticing. If my wife and I ever had a girl, her name would be Autumn. But after two boys, our motto is "two and through". As for Foxfire, that may have been inspired by a certain internet-browser.

My boss always calls that certain internet-browser Foxfire. It cracks me up.

FrancisJohn said:
Aren't all somatic spells subject to failure? Or needn't I worry.

Only arcane spells are subject to spell failure.

FrancisJohn said:
Question: Do I need a spell component pouch in order to cast spells? And/or take the Eschew materials feat?

Question: Is every non-firearm/leadership option here fair game now? http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/characterBackground/traits.html

Question: Does reactionary and warrior of the old (both +2 initiative) stack for a plus 4?

You might need a spell component pouch, or might not. I would look at the spells you plan on casting most often and check their components. Many druids spells are V, S only and some have added divine focus.

As for traits, I think that is a 'yes'.

Reactionary and Warrior of Old both add +2 to initiative but do not stack because the bonus as for all traits is a trait bonus and named bonuses of the same type don't stack.

Aura

Explorer
Reviewing Weylyn Wealbetwyn
(Try saying that 10 times fast.)

This is a good-faith review of Weylyn, by Mowgli. Every effort has been made to be accurate, where any perceived mistakes happen, feel free to bring it up. Usual process. :)

Things That Need to be Changed:
* Nothing here, Weylyn has no critical issues that nned be addressed by the player before approval.

Things that Could be Changed (player options):
* I would suggest an initial build of Str 15, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 13 (18 pts, so 2 points of options, possibly Cha.) Then bump Str and Con to 16 each with level bonus. Assuming, of course, you find it conceptually appropriate.
* 190 pounds may be high for someone 5'5", even with a bodybuilder build. I personally have no bearing for body weights of high strength individuals, but livestrong.com suggests a target of 160 pounds for a 5'5" male. This assumes human density, if you wanted to assume higher due to your bloodlines that could make up the difference.

Minor Issues I Changed:
* I updated his Power Attack to be -3 attack, +6 damage (+9 2-H) for being in the +8 to +11 BAB range.
* I increased speed to 50'. (+10' from class, +10' from boots)

Comments:
* You pay heavily to be cross-blooded. I tend to be happier with one set of abilities.
* Blood Sanctuary: Implied consent for your party members to act stupidly. I recommend never telling them you have this. :)
* I’d be concerned they are going to addendum a 3 caster level penalty onto the class (similar to paladin), but for now, I it seems to be full class level.
* Totaling in your money in the totals for gear makes it look like your inventory is off, but it checks out.
* In her last run through the DWI, it seemed the shortest woman Charity saw was 5'9" with several notable 6'ers. Be prepared to crane your head back to make eye contact. :)
* Two of the hybrid classes are barbarian based. Odd.

Looks good, Weylyn has his first APPROVAL with only minor changes to PA and Speed.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Thanks, Aura!

My initial background concept had him as Aasimar of Dwarven stock, which covers both the height (or lack thereof) and the weight - I may still go with that . . . just got to wrap my head around a true concept.

I'll definitely look at the stat build you suggested - sleepy (again) tonight, but I'm a morning person so tomorrow AM for sure. I'll post here to note whether or not I modified it.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
I've been thinking about the two trait choices for Autumn.... let me know what you think of these possibilities. Some of them are good for in-game bonuses, others might fit better with story line, the rest might just be good for RP. Remember she is going to be more focused on combat/casting/morphing rather than summoning

Beacon of Faith (+2 caster level 1x day for my fire spells)

Using capable traits or Wisdom in the Flesh to Provide Acrobatics/Stealth

The one where I automatically stabilize a dying comrade.

Any of the initiative +2 boosts

Flame Touched (fire DR/1)

Focused Mind (concentration +2)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I did decide to go with your suggested stat build, Aura - thanks for that! Not sure why I didn't see the extra boost there myself . . .

I also looked at the cost/benefit of Crossblooded, and decided to go with straight Abberrant bloodline, and added a little to his description to clarify the reason for his height/weight (his Dwarven heritage). Still gotta work up his background.

Remove ads