Character Submission Thread

DalkonCledwin

First Post
I don't mean to pick a fight, but this is an unjust characterization. Voicing one's concerns is extremely distinct from being hell bent on not allowing something. The last time I checked in on that thread, the nature of the discussion there struck me as being firmly in the former category, and not the latter.

My apologies. It's just when multiple judges effectively say that they would rather not have Player Characters choose a particular option that was up until that point available to Player Characters, it is in my opinion an indication that they do not want to even consider the possibility that there are players who could make that option work from a role playing perspective.

So I figured I would just forgo the problems with trying to make that type of character and having to justify it to the judges and instead make the character that I did end up making.

Qik

First Post
Well again, I didn't get that particular sense. You had asked for people's opinions on the fluff, and they gave it, expressing their concerns along the way. I thought the discussion seemed civil enough.

I can empathize a bit with your frustrations, which I think are to a certain extent unavoidable in a community such as LPF, where we're all working to together. I've been really preoccupied with the Wayang race lately, and would love to get them approved for play, but I've been trying not to push that issue due to others' reservations, hoping that it'll sort itself out in its own time. We all have compromises that we make as part of playing together in this community.

Satin Knights

First Post
If this is truly the impression you got, then it's because his backstory is poorly worded. In truth, I did struggle with finding the wording for the details...
Yeah, it was a first impression, but when expanded upon fits a bit better with my expectations.

As to Bren's (non)choice of deity: he worships a philosophy. His world-view, outlook and personality are closest to those of Quaren; however, his interest is in improving the stability and security of Irthos as a whole rather than any of it's three deities specifically. Not only is dedication to a philosophy rather than a deity allowed by the rules, if you look closely you'll see that his alignment and domain choices are all actually in line with the worship of Quaren - he could worship that deity with no mechanical changes to his character. I'm not doing any cherry-picking here, I just liked the idea of a more panthiestic priest dedicated to all of his "native" deities and saw no reason to restrict him to just the one.
I am just an old geezer that prefers a marriage between a cleric and a deity to be monogamous. I also remember when praying for spells was asking for spells and your deity could respond, "Ah, you are not making quota and you attitude is not cheerful enough. You don't get that one today. Try impressing me by putting this spell to work instead." Back when deities could see into the future, they sometimes would give you what you needed, not what you wanted.

In other words, Yeah, the worshiping a philosophy is there in the rules. I have a personal dislike for it, but it can be used. Worshiping a pantheon instead, which is what you are going for I believe, is also possible. The deities you chose have three distinct philosophies. Honor and law, science, ends justifies the means.

As a pantheonic example: I prefer it as worshiping Athena, but also saying the occasional prayers to Hephaestus and Dionysus. Athena would be where you get your spells, aura, formal restrictions and such from. Hephaestus or Dionysus might help you out in a pinch though. Athena's temple is your home, but you have "beloved friend or brother" status at the other two temples. The first impression was "stopping at any of the three temples would do.", which personally seemed loose. So I was suggesting a bit more focus.

My opinion on switching alignments is yes for all the classes, but the impetus/reason to do so needs to be a bit stronger for monks and clerics and a lot stronger for paladins.

On a quick glance, nothing on Bren's sheet would slow me down on the approval process or cause a kickback for tweaking. I just haven't had the 45 minutes in a straight chunk of time to focus and do the review the last few days. I got this sword crafting and introduction I am supposed to be working on. :p

Satin Knights

First Post
DalkonCledwin said:
I know the Judges seem hell bent on not allowing the Dark Tapestry.
I don't mean to pick a fight, but this is an unjust characterization. Voicing one's concerns is extremely distinct from being hell bent on not allowing something. The last time I checked in on that thread, the nature of the discussion there struck me as being firmly in the former category, and not the latter.
No, I was swinging the clue-bat pretty hard when I said go find something else.

The Inner Sea World Guide may have not been out. I definitely had not read it at the time when we approved the Ultimate Magic. The other sources like the later Carrion Crown module definitely were not crosschecked. I didn't have the foreknowledge at the time of where the Dark Tapestry was meant to go. We would have banned it then. If we need to vote to yank it out now, I would lobby (heavily) for doing so.

Although not formally written down in our cannon, I see the Dark Tapestry as the background evil that is behind the one doing the corruption for the Ears of the Whisperer, the corruption of the god Anor-Akim, the abominations working their way in on Serroth's territory, the trouble in Kostry Kopec, etc. So, it is the background evil behind all the foreground evil plots. Therefore, I want it off limits to characters so the GMs can use it without colliding with character histories and backgrounds.

The others were softer in their words with "now that it has been mentioned, we would like to keep it for evil GM plots only." Take their comments as sincere, and you are left with '1 judge hell bent" Me, Yep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On to other things, as to the Dino familiar, a witch can choose any familiar a wizard can. And that dino is marked as available for being a familiar in the Bestiary II. As far as I know, we don't have a "no dinosaur" rule in place. And it is tiny anyways. So, yes, it looks fine.

Vengeance patron: not seeing a problem here.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
On a quick glance, nothing on Bren's sheet would slow me down on the approval process or cause a kickback for tweaking. I just haven't had the 45 minutes in a straight chunk of time to focus and do the review the last few days. I got this sword crafting and introduction I am supposed to be working on. :p

No rush - he's currently somewhere on the road between Irthos and Venza, waiting for Systole's "Faith and Good Works" to catch him up.

mazzoli

First Post
I'm still not entirely sure how the leveling process works, but I'll submit Thiera for level up approval in case I need to do that here.

While I'm here and because I'm now eligible, I'd like to submit Feran for new character approval.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm still not entirely sure how the leveling process works, but I'll submit Thiera for level up approval in case I need to do that here.

We have a specific thread for leveled characters seeking approval HERE. Judges have been very good about explaining what they find that isn't correct and what needs to be done to fix it. So, do your best, feel free to ask questions if you need, and we'll work out the rest.

mazzoli

First Post
Okay, thanks, I'll move that over there. And I meant the leveling process for LPF, not Pathfinder in general, but it's good to know that there's backup.

Satin Knights

First Post
Reviewing Tonris:
Caveat: I don't know witches well. At least not the game version.
a) Spell count: Starting with 3+4 INT, adding 2 at 2nd, 2 at 3rd and 2 at fourth, you should have 13 spells that are not patron or cantrips. I see 15. I don't see a "consumed scroll of ..." as another option to get more spells. Ahh, found it in the Alternate racial trait.

Dude, you are sacrificing a permanent hit point for yourself to gain the 25 gp you would spend on burning a scroll to teach the familiar? Bad choice.
Spend your FC bonuses in HP, all of them. You have the smallest hit point dice in the game. Don't sacrifice any chance to improve them. And, gaining 4 HP for yourself gains the familiar 2 HP.

Tonris has his first APPROVAL, but I highly recommend burning some scrolls and moving your FC bonus into HP.

Remove ads