Character Submission Thread

Satin Knights

First Post
Reviewing Bipper:
a) with the final changes, the Initiative settles in at 2 instead of 1.
b) You can paraphrase and trim down the alchemist class description. ;)
c) I added HM's approval in by proxy.

Bipper is officially APPROVED for play as an alchemist. Now go check in to the game thread and enjoy.

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Reviewing Bipper:
a) with the final changes, the Initiative settles in at 2 instead of 1.
b) You can paraphrase and trim down the alchemist class description. ;)
c) I added HM's approval in by proxy.

Bipper is officially APPROVED for play as an alchemist. Now go check in to the game thread and enjoy.
Thanks!

Trimmed up the class feature descriptions.
Fixed my background to refer to alchemy, not sorcery. I did not turn the text orange, it appears to have done so automatically when I made it bold. But science deserves to be bold, orange, and exciting, so I'm ok with it.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Looking over Torbere real quick and I have a question as to what you see the build in the next couple levels.

With the 8 STR you want to stay away from melee (of course) so are you thinking dodge/mobility to get out of a melee?

Are you planning to dip into any other class?

Feats your interested in?

Hope to see you in the DWI soon.

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ok Torbere(Chronikoce) checks out except for two things.

1- Favored Class bonus: Looks like you spent your favored class bonus twice. Both for one extra HP and one extra skill Rank. I think it use to be that way but now it is one or the other, sorry.

2- Encumbrance: Although a dwarf's speed isn't effected by the amount of weight he carries he still suffers the other effects of encumbrance. Most notably the Max Dex and ACP penalties.

Tobere's STR makes it likely you will almost always suffer from weight encumbrance over armor (just wearing your armor puts you two pounds away form a medium load and thus at greater penalties). Later on you can get things to take care of this; haversack, muleback cords, etc.

But for now due to the equipment your carrying Torbere is at a heavy load and has a Max Dex to AC of +1 and an ACP of -6. I went and changed all this and he is ready for approval after you pick which favored class bonus to use.

But before that I would play with the numbers and maybe see about lowering that load to medium.

My suggestion: Just play with the stats...

STR: 10 (00pts)
DEX: 17 (13 pts)
CON: 12 (00 pts) +2 racial
INT: 14 (05 pts)
WIS: 14 (02 pts) +2 racial
CHA: 08 (00 pts) -2 racial

This puts you at a medium load and a Max Dex of +3 (which would be your dex anyway) and a -3 ACP (which is your armors ACP anyway). By the time you hit 4th level and get the 18 (+4) DEX you will have something to help you carry more gear.

NOTE on INT: If you haven't seen this feat Focused Shot it could add something to your combat abilities, and the extra skill point frees up your favored class bonus to be used on HP.

Let me know when you are done with any changes.

HM

Last edited:

Chronikoce

First Post
Looking over Torbere real quick and I have a question as to what you see the build in the next couple levels.

With the 8 STR you want to stay away from melee (of course) so are you thinking dodge/mobility to get out of a melee?

Are you planning to dip into any other class?

Feats your interested

Hope to see you in the DWI soon.

1- Favored Class bonus: Looks like you spent your favored class bonus twice. Both for one extra HP and one extra skill Rank. I think it use to be that way but now it is one or the other, sorry.

2- Encumbrance: Although a dwarf's speed isn't effected by the amount of weight he carries he still suffers the other effects of encumbrance. Most notably the Max Dex and ACP penalties.

My suggestion: Just play with the stats...

STR: 10 (00pts)
DEX: 17 (13 pts)
CON: 12 (00 pts) +2 racial
INT: 14 (05 pts)
WIS: 14 (02 pts) +2 racial
CHA: 08 (00 pts) -2 racial

This puts you at a medium load and a Max Dex of +3 (which would be your dex anyway) and a -3 ACP (which is your armors ACP anyway). By the time you hit 4th level and get the 18 (+4) DEX you will have something to help you carry more gear.

NOTE on INT: If you haven't seen this feat Focused Shot it could add something to your combat abilities, and the extra skill point frees up your favored class bonus to be used on HP.

Let me know when you are done with any changes.

HM

Definitely planning to avoid melee. No plans atm to dip/multiclass, as a player I usually avoid that since when I roleplay I tend to think in terns of a single class.

Feat Choices for the near future
Deadly Aim
Precise Shot
When high enough the Vital Strike Tree

This actually leads into a question I had, is feat retraining allowed at level ups? Both focused shot and vital strike seem to require a standard action and would therefore not stack. If I am reading this right I wouldn't mind focused shot for use during pre-level 6 play and then retrain it to something else once I have vital strike/devastating strike combo.

I blame the hour for my mistake with favored class. I had originally chosen hp and then when I got to the skillpoint section I changed my mind. HP has been reduced by 1 accordingly

As for the low str, completely forgot about the other effects of encumbrance still applying. My group in real life tends to ignore this for flavor reasons since it usually doesn't matter for very long (our campaigns tend to go through low levels very fast before slowing down).

I'm actually very torn at the moment now. I am going to revert Torbere back to in progress because he will undergo a stat alteration and possibly a severe backstory rewrite (he may become human, because now that you mention it I really could use dodge/mobility to keep myself alive).

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The little used rule that allows fighters to drop an old feat for a new one at lvls 4, 8, 12, etc. could help but then by the time you reach 8th you could/should have Vital Strike.

The crossbowman is feat extensive:

Rapid Reload
Point Blank - and associated feats
Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization
Deadly Aim
Focused Shot
Parting Shot (a good feat for your concept)/Shot on the Run
Crossbow Mastery -Human fighter can get this at 2nd lvl?!?

And many others...

For Darreo I chose to go the do as much damage as possible and not worry about if you hit or not (fire enough bolts and one or two will hit). I could have gone the other way. Not sure yet if i will take Rogue for the Sneak Atttack damage. Which leads to dipping in a class...

As above Rogue plays in nicely (especially with the sniping ability). But I guess any class could help augment a character all depends on how you want to RP him.

HM

Last edited:

Chronikoce

First Post
[MENTION=84167]HolyMan[/MENTION]

Well I really like the idea of roleplaying this guy as a dwarf so I am considering either your suggested stat changes or possibly leaving Int where it is, dropping Dex to 17, and boosting Str to 12. That boosts my carrying capacity a lot, gives me a slightly better CMD, and only costs me 1 hp/level.

That being said the hp/level may be worth it since Losing two feats to boost my AC will be sad.

My general theme for this guy is that he shoots a few shots but makes sure they hit really hard (Vital Strike, Deadly Aim, Devastating Strike, Weapon Specialization). Defensively having to wait to acquire Crossbow Mastery is a bummer since it means I cannot move further away from bad guys while reloading at low levels.

I am gonna be honest here and say I am striving to leave my comfort zone with this build so the suggestions are appreciated. I normally play good aligned high str frontline fighter or evil (because of actions taken in quests, not party killing) casters.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
So let's back track then...

Weapon Specialization at 4th lvl -
Weapon Focus at 3rd lvl -
Rapid Shot at 2nd lvl -
Point Blank Shot and Rapid Reload at 1st lvl - which is what you have already

Means you can get Crossbow Mastery at 5th lvl and Deadly Aim at 6th

Assuming DEX 20, magical bolt, >30' at 6th lvl and you could be doing...

+12/+12/+7 for 1d10+9

And only drawing the one AoO. Point Blank Master would solve that.

Lot to think on.

HM

Chronikoce

First Post
That is very tempting...
However my current build does the following at 6th level
Assuming 20 Dex, +1 bolt or crossbow, and > 30'

Attack
12 = Bab (6) + Magic (1) + Dex (5) + Ftr Training (1) + Wep Foc (1) - Deadly Aim (2)
Damage
2d10+9 = 1d10 + Vital Strike (1d10) + Wep Spec (2) + Deadly Aim (4) + Ftr Training (1)
+ Dead Shot (2)

Ah, I think I noticed something. It is my understanding that you cannot use the ready action for full-round actions. The reason my crossbow build goes for single attack is that a majority of the abilities require a ready action. Am I incorrect in my understanding?

Because if I can ready a full-round action then I agree it is definitely better to go the multiple shooting route

--EDIT-- Tossed in planned feat progression

1st Level Point-blank shot
Ftr 01 Rapid Reload (Heavy Crossbow)
Ftr 02 Precise Shot
3rd Level Deadly Aim
Ftr 04 Weapon Focus (Heavy Crossbow)
5th Level Weapon Specialization (Heavy Crossbow)
Ftr 06 Vital Strike
7th Level Disrupting Shot
Ftr 08 Improved Weapon Speicalization (Heavy Crossbow)
9th Level Devastating Strike
Ftr 10 Improved Weapon Specialization
11th Level Improved Precise Shot
Ftr 12 Improved Vital Strike
13th Level Improved Critical
Ftr 14 Critical Focus
15th Level Blinding Critical
Ftr 16 Greater Vital Strike
17th Level Staggering Critical
Ftr 18 Critical Mastery
19th Level Stunning Critical
Ftr 20 Improved Devastating Strike