Character Submission Thread

jbear

First Post
jbear I am not very good at looking over other people's characters. But since you are in my adventure I figured it was my duty to review your character and give you your final approval.

First thing I noticed when reviewing your character (and this may be in error because my math skills aren't very good) but according to my calculator, your final gold piece total is off by 2 gold in the banks favor. I think you should probably take another look at that.

Also in my honest opinion your skills section is a tad bit over crowded, you can probably reduce the need for a scroll bar by shortening the word "with" in the "-2 ACP with shield" quote down to just a "w/" note. Same with the section about the Animal Companion.

Other than that my only complaint is that you need to update your adventure log with the removal of Time Based Rewards for the adventure until the end of the adventure as per perrinmiller's ruling.

Once those are taken care of I have no problem giving your character final approval.
All done :)

Satin Knights

First Post
Hello Mazzoli. Welcome to the board. We hope you have fun.

To start with, the technical issues with the you character.
A) In the description section near the bottom, you have size small listed. Well, a tiefling is a medium sized character as far as mechanics go. Small is intended to describe the characters that are 3'2", not 5'2".
B) Your first set of clothing does not weigh anything as far as encumbrance is counted. So, you save 8 lbs on explorer's outfit.
C) Instead of a flask of water, what I think you are looking for is a waterskin. It is 1 gp and 4 lbs when full.
D) Rangers are divine spell casters, so when you get spells, the arcane spell failure chance from the armor will not apply.
E) On the racial features portion, you will want to note that she has darkvision of 60'.
F) Under spells, she gets to cast Darkness once per day as a 1st level caster as a spell-like ability. This is also not affected by the arcane spell failure chance of armor because it is a spell-like and not a spell (I believe).
G) The bonus from the Self Sufficient feat was not applied in the skills table.

All of those are very minor issues. Over all, a very good job.

Now, on to the subjective side of things. These from here down are only suggestions.

You have made a very good NPC or character that is very flavorful, but has a few choices that have the possibility of hindering you later in her career. Going for flavor over optimization is fine. But, I think too many of those choices are going to cascade together to set you back to below average. I will try to go over the issues gently.

1) You have an archer ranger. But, you spent your one feat so far on Self Sufficient. That feat gives you bonuses to skills that do not get used that often, everyone in the party can attempt them, and only one success across the party is needed to cover the group. (survival to gather food) On the other hand, not taking Point Blank Shot as your first feat delays may of the other feats an archer would want to take by two levels. Ranger class rules allow skipping some of the prereqs for feats when taking the archery combat style, but only three times, while there are more than eight nice archery feats.

2) You spent 5 build points in Charisma, but then didn't take any skills that depend on that stat. The ranger doesn't need the stat for much more than the Handle Animal skill for his eventual animal companion. Even then, the skill is not hard to accomplish if the stat modifier is a negative. The background of the character also does not suggest a "better than average" social awareness and likeability. Shifting some of those build points into Strength may serve you better.

3) Favored Enemy is a strong feature of the ranger. Picking Animals is perfect for fluff for an NPC hunter, but for a character that is going to be in fights, the bonus against animals is never going to come into play unless you are attacked on your first adventure by a wolf or two while camping. Picking Humanoids (Humans), Undead, Outsiders or Monstrous Humanoids will get much more use in your career.

4) Equipment: Add a dagger. It is a little more weight, but at least you have a useable knife, in the woods and for dinner, that is not three feet long. :p

5) Pick up a blunt weapon. Otherwise, skeletons are going to take quite a while to knock down.

Well, that should be a good start to ponder over. Again, the second half is only suggestions.

-Satin Knights

mazzoli

First Post
Thanks for the response. I'll go through the points one by one.

Technical Details

A) I was trying to describe small stature not a small creature. Fixed.
B) Fixed.
C) The belt pouches are for keeping necessary items on her person at all times, such as food, fire, and a flask of water. I'll add a waterskin. Fixed.
D) I'm aware that it's for arcane spells only but included it on the sheet for the sake of completeness. Would it be easier for others to read my sheet if I removed it? Awaiting fix.
E) Fixed.
F) Fixed.
G) I changed the feat, so it's a moot point. Fixed.

Suggestions

This character marks my return to RPGs after a moderate hiatus and outlook overhaul, and the original incarnation was too reactionary to my previous munchkin tendencies. Looking at the previous version, I went too much for flavor and roleplay while ignoring the game portion of things, so thanks for reining me in a bit.

1) This is a good suggestion that I will take to heart.

2) The Charisma score was meant to indicate a somewhat attractive appearance (mysteriously alluring since she doesn't have too much in the way of monstrous changes unlike many tieflings) but with no indication of how to use that to her advantage (signified by the lack of charisma based skills). Her backstory has her as something of a hermit, but joining this board marks a change in the dynamic, with her spending more time around others in town, on adventures, etc. or else my roleplaying would be lonely and boring. The plan was to indicate this growth in character by adding points to social skills as she levels and gains the ability to use her base advantages. I was also planning on using the party affecting option for Hunter's Bond because I have little patience for animal companions. If anybody with more experience thinks that this plan is untenable, let me know and I can revise my approach.

3) Again, the plan was to pick a more useful one at 5th level and leave this one to be more flavor, but now that seems like a long way away. I'll modify my favored enemy.

4) Duh. Thanks.

5) See above.

Other Changes: Got rid of the torches since I have darkvision.
Revised Character: Thiera

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases