Scotley's Carrion Crown IC Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

Rhun

First Post
Dannis stands and moves closer to the rekindled fire. After a few moments, his cloak begins to steam as the rain-sodden garment warms.

Scotley

Hero
The patter of rain can be heard once again on the roof. Fortunately, the house is well built and cozy. With the fire burning merrily and good drink in hand one could almost forget that this pleasant interlude is a result of a most sad occasion. Examining the high quality of the furnishing, the tasteful art adorning walls and shelves and the premium wines on hand it is likely that Brendan is correct and Professor Lorrimor has left his daughter well provided for. If not, her training as an wizard should leave her well able to make her own way in the world.

Scotley

Hero
Soon enough Kendra goes to the door to welcome Councilman Vashian Hearthmount, her father's solicitor. With some considerable noise he shakes the rain from his cloak before hanging it on a peg and cleans his boots before moving close to the fire and gratefully accepting a snifter of brandy. No Sense Motive check is necessary to note that he doesn’t completely approve of strangers being involved in local matters, but he keeps his comments to himself, focusing his involvement entirely on the reading of Petros’s will. As stipulated in the Will each of you and Kendra were to be present before the reading.

Councilman Vashian produces a scroll case, shows that the professor’s personal seal is unbroken, then breaks the wax and opens the case. As he does, a small iron key falls out of the tube, clattering noisily onto the table. Undaunted by the key, the councilman begins to read, eager to be done with the business and to get back home on such a miserable day.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this
parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with
the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and
personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or
sell them as you see fit, my child.

“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this
document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading
of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in
attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I
have two final favors to ask.

“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are
few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of
what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many
of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and
inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge
of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire
a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one
of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward
legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under
lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have
borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable
for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my
daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the
danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting
my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver
the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who
will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of
another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend
that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is
safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone,
and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she
desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal
gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum
of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these
funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in
Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon
the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month
after the date of the reading of this will.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this Oathday, the
first day of Calistril in the 4711th year since the foundation of Absalom.”

As he reads of 'dangerous tomes' Vashian face darkens and the more perceptive among you note a slight tremor of fear in his hand and voice. Though his eyebrows do go up as the bequest of platinum coins is read. Even one such coin is a rare sight in Ravengro and sums this large are rarely spoken off in the little farming community. He passes the Will over to Kendra who reviews it briefly before nodding and holding it out for any who wish to see.

Vashian finishes off the brandy in his glass and comments, "I believe all is in order here. I am at your service lady please call upon me anytime. Unless there is anything else?"

Rhun

First Post
Dannis tosses off the last of his brandy. "The professor asks much, but it would be a selfish man indeed that would not honor his last wishes." The cleric sets the snifter down gently, and then looks at Kendra. "Perhaps you can suggest some modest accommodations here in town? Also, it might serve well if we could check the security of these tomes." He turns his eyes to look over the others gathered in the room. "In fact, it might be wise to set a guard over these items. If they are as dangerous as the professor seems to think, they should not be left unattended."

Scotley

Hero
Kendra nods and looks imploringly at Dannis, "You can stay here if you like. Father often had guests and the house has enough spare rooms. Then you'll be able to watch over the tomes as needed. I would feel safer too to have some company, at least until things settle down." She looks away shyly and then motions to the key which fell from the sealed Will. "I believe that key opens the trunk where the tomes must be."

Rhun

First Post
Dannis smiles and nods at Kendra. "That is even better. Again, your hospitality is most welcome." The cleric kneels to retrieve the key from where it has fallen on the floor. As he picks it up, he examines it closely, looking for anything noteworthy.

Lou

Explorer
B'rii

B'rii listens intently to the reading of the will. Watching the councilman and the daughter for expressions during the reading.

At the end, B'rii addresses the councilman first, "Councilman Hearthmount, please keep the contents of the will a secret, especially the part about the tomes. We will need time to deal with them as the professor requested. If you are asked and must reply, simply say that the professor wanted his book collection transferred to a large library for other scholars, a long and difficult task for such old and fragile books."

Then addressing Kendra, B'rii says, "It will be unseemly for you for have so many outsiders, especially men, and non-humans at that, living with you or even hanging around for so long as a month. While living here may be better for protecting the books, it may well destroy your reputation here locally. Perhaps a respected older woman could come stay with you here while we are in town. If I may be so bold, perhaps Madam Daramid?"

mleibrock

First Post
Falco

Falco listens carefully to the reading and considers the words for a few moments, giving others a chance to ask their questions first. Once the councilman leaves, Falco will ask Kendra,

"Do you know where your father's notes are?" I fear if they are anywhere other than the trunk, it could make for a dangerous situation for you once we take leave. Another question that crossed my mind it do you know who at the University we are deliver the books to? The reading mentioned that Embreth Daramid had funds for us but not exactly whom we are to deliver these valuables to and being that we have never met any of these people I hesitate giving them to anyone. If word leaked out of this journey, anyone could impersonate our deliveree."

Leif

Adventurer
Besharrn Blacktusk, Half-Orc Ranger3, AC21[25]/FF17/T14[18], HP 27/35

At the end, B'rii addresses the councilman first, "Councilman Hearthmount, please keep the contents of the will a secret, especially the part about the tomes. We will need time to deal with them as the professor requested. If you are asked and must reply, simply say that the professor wanted his book collection transferred to a large library for other scholars, a long and difficult task for such old and fragile books."

Then addressing Kendra, B'rii says, "It will be unseemly for you for have so many outsiders, especially men, and non-humans at that, living with you or even hanging around for so long as a month. While living here may be better for protecting the books, it may well destroy your reputation here locally. Perhaps a respected older woman could come stay with you here while we are in town. If I may be so bold, perhaps Madam Daramid?"

"I agree with B'rii's words, Councilman Hearthmount. It would be most unfortunate if the contents of this will became fodder for wagging tongues around town. So unfortunate, in fact, that I know of at least one tongue that I would cut out by its forked roots." Besharrn pauses for a moment to let his words and their unspoken meaning sink into Councilman Hearthmount's ears before he continues: "And I also agree with B'rii that it would be most unseemly for us to be seen to be staying here with you, Lady Kendra. We will, of course, be maintaining a vigilant guard over you and your home during daylight hours, but perhaps it would be best if we posted only a few sentries here at night, with the rest of us nearby, ready to rush to your aid at the faintest whistle? I, for one, am unaccustomed to spending every night indoors, anyway. I fear that I would lose my edge were I to spend such a lengthy time where I had a soft bed every night."

[sblock=stats, Besharrn Blacktusk]
S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

AC:21[10+7(+1 Breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)] [25 w/Shield of Swings]
FF:17
T:14 [18 w/Shield of Swings]

HP:27/35

Saves: Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Init +3, BAB +3, CMB +5, CMD 18 [22 w/ Shield of Swings]

Halberd +7, 1d10+3 dam, Short Sword +6, 1d6+2 dam, Heavy Crossbow +7, 1d10 dam

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases