Scotley's Carrion Crown IC Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

Scotley

Hero
A quick exploration of the area immediately around the house and grounds reveals no prowlers or spies. It has started raining again and the townsfolk have all retreated indoors.

Kendra notes that because the words are scratched into the leather rather than actually written it is hard to tell, but it seems to be his writing.

Rhun

First Post
"Good enough, I suppose." Dannis whispers a quick prayer to Sarenrae under his breath, and flips open the book to the first page.

mleibrock

First Post
Falco

"The trunk is not overlarge, but fairly heavy I think we should bring it here to the den. It is under father's bed." Securing the assistance of a couple of the more muscular among you the box is soon resting on an ottoman in your midst. While you bring out the box she brings out a couple of glowing magical orbs from her father's room to provide adequate light to properly examine the tomes as evening has fallen. She pulls the drapes and asks one you to put a fresh log on the fire. She offers refills to any who desire it.

The chest itself is a relatively small but heavy object of oak and iron. Obviously it is solidly made. A careful examination reveals no obvious traps, hidden compartments or signs of tampering. Kendra, perhaps nervous about the contents, offers the key to you to give the honor of opening the chest. The key from the will fits the lock perfectly, and within are several old tomes and one relatively new one. The newest tome sits on the top and bears the phrase “Read me now!” scratched into the leather cover.

Falco again mans the fire and adds a couple logs in hopes it will add some additional light to the room. When they bring the chest into the room, Falco will cast detect magic on the chest itself. He feels the excitement build as they near opening it.

Leif

Adventurer
Besharrn Blacktusk, Half-Orc Ranger3, AC21[25]/FF17/T14[18], HP 33/35

B'rii listens to his new friends' comments carefully. He wants to learn all he can about them, if he is to trust his life to them for a month or more.

"Besharrn, after we move this box, let us walk the grounds once as the final prepartions are made. We do not know the area, so if spies or attackers are outside, we would never know."

Besharrn is only mildly annoyed by B'rii's suggestion, "Shhhh, not now! I wanna see wha's inna trunk. I'll go look wivvya after that."

[sblock=stats, Besharrn Blacktusk]
S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

AC:21[10+7(+1 Breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)] [25 w/Shield of Swings]
FF:17
T:14 [18 w/Shield of Swings]

HP:33/35

Saves: Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Init +3, BAB +3, CMB +5, CMD 18 [22 w/ Shield of Swings]

Halberd +7, 1d10+3 dam, Short Sword +6, 1d6+2 dam, Heavy Crossbow +7, 1d10 dam

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Whatever expectations of explosive revelations you might have had are quickly dispelled. The first few pages are merely bland recitations on small town activities and interactions. There are mentions of letters coming and going and the occasional visit by old friends or plans to venture up to Lepidstadt which he seems to do about quarterly. Complaints about the price of potatoes or comments on the quality of this years apple brandy are about the most exciting thing on most pages.

You do come across his report of rumored bugbear activity a couple days journey east. Finally, you discover an entry circled in red ink. It is dated 10 months ago and is about midway into the book when most of you are about ready to fall asleep from the dullness of the other entries. "The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might. Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous." There are no more circled entries for 8 months, and then suddenly they start to pick up in recent weeks.

OOC: See attachment for all the circled entries. The final circled entry is also the last entry in the journal and it was written the day of Professor Lorrimor's death.

Attachments

• Handout.jpg
    Handout.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
"Undead," says Dannis, making the word a curse. "It seems our friend the professor may have gotten himself in over his head." The cleric is quiet for a few moments, lost in thought. Then his face takes on a grim look.

"As a cleric of the Dawnflower, it is my duty to find and destroy these foul abominations, and to protect the town from risk. I intend to travel to these ruins, lay to rest the tortured souls therein, and find whatever it is that the professor was seeking." His gaze sweeps over the rest of the group. "Though we have just met, and I know little of any of you, I would ask that you aid me in this endeavor. We cannot allow a threat such as this to grow unhindered."

The cleric pauses again, to think on what he has read. "However, I think we should first seek out this false crypt and the "tools" that were left in the Restlands by the Church of Pharasma. They well be of use to us."

Leif

Adventurer
Besharrn Blacktusk, Half-Orc Ranger3, AC21[25]/FF17/T14[18], HP 33/35

"I couldn't make out all of the chicken scratches that were that writing. Dannis, would you be so kind as to read it to me very slowly? But, anyway, I will join you on this quest, regardless."

[sblock=stats, Besharrn Blacktusk]
S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

AC:21[10+7(+1 Breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)] [25 w/Shield of Swings]
FF:17
T:14 [18 w/Shield of Swings]

HP:33/35

Saves: Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Init +3, BAB +3, CMB +5, CMD 18 [22 w/ Shield of Swings]

Halberd +7, 1d10+3 dam, Short Sword +6, 1d6+2 dam, Heavy Crossbow +7, 1d10 dam

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
"Succinctly put, there is a group of necromancers that calls themselves The Whispering Way. And they appear to be searching for something...no, someone that was held in Harrowstone Prison prior to its fiery end." The cleric moves to the sideboard to pour himself another drink, and takes a large gulp of the brandy. "However, it seems the ruins of the prison are haunted by restless spirits. In what form, I cannot say from what is noted here."

Dannis moves closer to Besharrn, his bright blue eyes intent. "I have come to think little of orcs. Those that I have met are brutes that care little for the suffering of others. If you would join this fight, then it would seem that I have misjudged your kind. Your blade is most welcome."

Remove ads