Scotley's Carrion Crown IC Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

mleibrock

First Post
"I couldn't make out all of the chicken scratches that were that writing. Dannis, would you be so kind as to read it to me very slowly? But, anyway, I will join you on this quest, regardless."

[sblock=stats, Besharrn Blacktusk]
S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

AC:21[10+7(+1 Breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)] [25 w/Shield of Swings]
FF:17
T:14 [18 w/Shield of Swings]

HP:33/35

Saves: Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Init +3, BAB +3, CMB +5, CMD 18 [22 w/ Shield of Swings]

Halberd +7, 1d10+3 dam, Short Sword +6, 1d6+2 dam, Heavy Crossbow +7, 1d10 dam

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

OOC - Nice Leif! I had a tough time making out all the words in the handout too. Good job of keeping it IC!

mleibrock

First Post
Falco

Falco ponders Dannis' words. The recount of the handwritten notes and the somewhat apologetic ones to the half-orc. These are some good people, he thinks to himself. But of course the professor would not have asked us all here if they weren't.

So, Falco will let these people/creatures in to his circle. We have some work to do and the best way to do it is but trusting they have your back and vice-versa. So be it.

To the group Falco expresses his eagerness, "Sounds like we have some Good to do around here. My favorite kind of work. I can think of no better way to honor the professor's memory! Anything else useful in that chest? Any hidden panels?"

Falco, will detect magic on the chest and look around for any secret panels

J. Alexander

First Post
As the others read the professor's last notes, Brendan will refresh his cup of tea and go to a window and peer out as if thinking. After a few momnets, he says "In for a penny, In for a pound" and goes back to looking out the window.

Leif

Adventurer
Besharrn Blacktusk, Half-Orc Ranger3, AC21[25]/FF17/T14[18], HP 33/35

[sblock=mleibrock]
OOC - Nice Leif! I had a tough time making out all the words in the handout too. Good job of keeping it IC!
Thanks! I was gonna make OOC comments, but then I decided to just ham it up a little.[/sblock]
"Succinctly put, there is a group of necromancers that calls themselves The Whispering Way. And they appear to be searching for something...no, someone that was held in Harrowstone Prison prior to its fiery end." The cleric moves to the sideboard to pour himself another drink, and takes a large gulp of the brandy. "However, it seems the ruins of the prison are haunted by restless spirits. In what form, I cannot say from what is noted here."

Dannis moves closer to Besharrn, his bright blue eyes intent. "I have come to think little of orcs. Those that I have met are brutes that care little for the suffering of others. If you would join this fight, then it would seem that I have misjudged your kind. Your blade is most welcome."
"Good! Let's do this thing!"

S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

Feat: Shield of Swings - gain +4 AC and CMD but only do half damage. FULL ATTACK ONLY [APG]
[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Brendan sees little activity outside the window on this rainy evening not even a tubby halfling gardener trimming the verge. But something in the character of the lights of the town and the rain running down the window changes as he watches. Is it just a trick of light and shadow or are their some oppressive spirits leering down at the town from the clouds, some unnatural darkness that shouldn't be there? He glances back at his companions and after staring into the darkness without. The magical light within is too bright, washing out the colors and leaving his companions with a ghostly pallor that raises the hairs on the back of his neck. He shivers and find the tea in his cup has grown cold.

Falco finds the box to be quite mundane with no observable hidden compartments. Below the journal there are some other books. The only magic he can sense within is of the minor preservative sort used to allow books to endure the ravages of time and the elements.

[sblock=Plain text reading of the handout]
Ten Months ago:
The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might. Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

Two Months Ago:
It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

One Month Ago:
Whatever The Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes some sense--the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I'd rather not let the others know about my curiosity--there's plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I'm a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

Twenty Days Ago:
It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something--no, strike that--someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

Eighteen Days Ago:
I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for the Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation--hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

Seventeen Days Ago:
Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right the entire town could be at risk. I don't have time to update my will, so I'll leave this in the chest where it'll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.
[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer

"It would seem that we also have a need to speak to the priests of Pharasma. Perhaps we can borrow some of the same things that the Professor found so useful? And they may possibly have more information about Harrowstone that we can use."

S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
"It would seem that we are under something of a time crunch, though," says the cleric. "It was over two weeks ago that the Professor mentions running out of time. The Way may have already finished whatever it is they mean to accomplish."

J. Alexander

First Post
"Gentlmen, perhaps it is the tea, herbs can do strange things after all, but would one you care to look at the village and tell me what you see" Brendan says

Leif

Adventurer

Curious, Besharrn also moves to the window to observe the village.

S15,D16,C14,I12,W12,C11

[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases