Scotley's Carrion Crown IC Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: Sorry, Mowgs, when I posted last night I didn't see that there were bugbears shown on the map yet. Looking again this morning, I wonder if I just missed them the first time, *shrug*. Anyway, post below edited to provide coordinates for Besharrn Blacktusk.

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Sorry, Mowgs, when I posted last night I didn't see that there were bugbears shown on the map yet. Looking again this morning, I wonder if I just missed them the first time, *shrug*. Anyway, post below edited to provide coordinates for Besharrn Blacktusk.

OOC: Oops! It was Jabb who hurled the sheep's head, so I put Besharrn on the other side. Can I leave my post as it stands?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Finally recovering from his initial horror Vadim takes a step toward the creature attacking B'rii, uncoiling his whip as he moves. What little light there is on the overcast day glints on the razor edges along the weapon's length as he flicks it back and forth in a pattern that's almost hypnotic to watch. The braided leather and metal snakes out smoothly and snaps around the monster's weapon; Vadim gives a jerk on the whip, but the thing is strong and manages to hang on to its weapon.

[sblock=Actions]
  • Move: 5' Step to F9
  • Free: Draw Whip
  • Swift: Cast Dazzling Blade
  • Standard: Disarm (1d20+5=16) vs. Bloodrah (I assumed a 16 beats her CMD - if not I'll edit the post)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
Falco

Falco will stay his footing and begin casting Mage Hand on a large leaf from the tree to his left and move that leaf right in front of Bloodrah's eyes.

OOC - OK, please forgive my inexperience playing a magic type. Am I correct in thinking this spell is instantaneous and the only time required is that of the leaf to move? If this is correct all this would happen on Falco's initiative? Is that right?

Scotley - good roll, but I need a little more advice here. Does an Oracle come under the Cleric as far as bonuses and such for concentration so that I'll be using my wisdom modifier?

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Finally recovering from his initial horror Vadim takes a step toward the creature attacking B'rii, uncoiling his whip as he moves. What little light there is on the overcast day glints on the razor edges along the weapon's length as he flicks it back and forth in a pattern that's almost hypnotic to watch. The braided leather and metal snakes out smoothly and snaps around the monster's weapon; Vadim gives a jerk on the whip and pulls the morning star neatly from the things hand!

[sblock=Actions]
  • Move: 5' Step to F9
  • Free: Draw Whip
  • Swift: Cast Dazzling Blade
  • Standard: Disarm (1d20+5=16) vs. Bloodrah (I assumed a 16 beats her CMD - if not I'll edit the post)
[/sblock]

OOC: Sorry, CMD 20. Guess I should start posting that along with AC for Pathfinder.

Scotley

Hero
Falco will stay his footing and begin casting Mage Hand on a large leaf from the tree to his left and move that leaf right in front of Bloodrah's eyes.

OOC - OK, please forgive my inexperience playing a magic type. Am I correct in thinking this spell is instantaneous and the only time required is that of the leaf to move? If this is correct all this would happen on Falco's initiative? Is that right?

[sblock=mleibrock]You are correct that the effect begins on your initiative; however, the duration can continue as long as you concentrate. Please be aware of the fact that Cantrips are very minor magic and that you and the other casters in the party have an unlimited number of them. Thus, I can't allow them to be too powerful. I suggest that you read some of the other Cantrips such as prestidigitation and flare to get a sense of what they can and can't do. You will need to roll to hit, verses the touch AC of 13 and the degree to which you beat that number will determine how much of an effect you have with a natural twenty perhaps being strong enough to spoil an attack or cause the target to waste an action removing the leaf. That's about the the very best result you can hope for. Some penalty to the next attack is the likely result of a hit with a high roll being perhaps as much as -3. Even then you are getting a bit of a bonus because the leaves are wet and sticky at this time. A given foe will get wise to your tricks if you try to duplicate them repeatedly.

If this is the sort of thing you really want to do with your character I would consider the dirty trick maneuver.

Advanced New Rules

Those rules assume you are acting at melee range and use an attack of opportunity as the counter to it if you don't spend a feat. If you invest one or more feats into this then I could certainly see using that mechanic as a way to resolve such actions. We'd certainly need to work out something that was fair to you such as a variation on improved dirty trick like maybe:

Magical Dirty Trick (MetaMagic)
You are skilled at using Cantrips to pull dirty tricks on your foes.

Prerequisites: Int 13, Cast Prestidigitation or Mage Hand.

Benefit: You can use the Dirty Trick Maneuver at range with the casting of an appropriate Cantrip. In addition, you receive a +2 bonus on checks made to attempt a dirty trick. You also receive a +2 bonus to your Combat Maneuver Defense when an opponent tries a dirty trick on you. Using the Magical Dirty Trick MetaMagic spell does not use up a higher-level spell slot than the spell's actual level.

Normal: You provoke an attack of opportunity when performing a dirty trick combat maneuver and can only use it during melee.

We could also use make a greater version similar to the Greater Dirty Trick Feat for a higher bonus and longer duration if you desire. If you like it we could probably figure out a Specialization and Focus for even greater benefits if you are willing to invest that many feats.
[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
[sblock=mleibrock]You are correct that the effect begins on your initiative; however, the duration can continue as long as you concentrate. Please be aware of the fact that Cantrips are very minor magic and that you and the other casters in the party have an unlimited number of them. Thus, I can't allow them to be too powerful. I suggest that you read some of the other Cantrips such as prestidigitation and flare to get a sense of what they can and can't do. You will need to roll to hit, verses the touch AC of 13 and the degree to which you beat that number will determine how much of an effect you have with a natural twenty perhaps being strong enough to spoil an attack or cause the target to waste an action removing the leaf. That's about the the very best result you can hope for. Some penalty to the next attack is the likely result of a hit with a high roll being perhaps as much as -3. Even then you are getting a bit of a bonus because the leaves are wet and sticky at this time. A given foe will get wise to your tricks if you try to duplicate them repeatedly.

If this is the sort of thing you really want to do with your character I would consider the dirty trick maneuver.

Advanced New Rules

Those rules assume you are acting at melee range and use an attack of opportunity as the counter to it if you don't spend a feat. If you invest one or more feats into this then I could certainly see using that mechanic as a way to resolve such actions. We'd certainly need to work out something that was fair to you such as a variation on improved dirty trick like maybe:

Magical Dirty Trick (MetaMagic)
You are skilled at using Cantrips to pull dirty tricks on your foes.

Prerequisites: Int 13, Cast Prestidigitation or Mage Hand.

Benefit: You can use the Dirty Trick Maneuver at range with the casting of an appropriate Cantrip. In addition, you receive a +2 bonus on checks made to attempt a dirty trick. You also receive a +2 bonus to your Combat Maneuver Defense when an opponent tries a dirty trick on you. Using the Magical Dirty Trick MetaMagic spell does not use up a higher-level spell slot than the spell's actual level.

Normal: You provoke an attack of opportunity when performing a dirty trick combat maneuver and can only use it during melee.

We could also use make a greater version similar to the Greater Dirty Trick Feat for a higher bonus and longer duration if you desire. If you like it we could probably figure out a Specialization and Focus for even greater benefits if you are willing to invest that many feats.
[/sblock]

OOC - Understood. I guess, I'm just reading what the spell literally does and I realize this is not intended for combat I get that but obstructing his view is exactly what I had in mind in this case. Thought it would be worth a shot and Falco is a pretty clever guy so I thought it would be fitting of him. I kinda picture him using his surroundings to his advantage whenever he can.

I'll add the rolls to the previous post.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases