The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Your return to Fairhaven in Aundair is radically different compared to your first outbound trip. Flush with new wealth from the pirates and your payment plus bonuses from House Tharask affords you the best cabins aboard the next elemental airship. You are able to enjoy the luxuries that normally only the very wealthy can indulge in. Each of you have a private suite with cubboards stocked with the finest liquors and wines, the beds are made of the finest and softest material money can buy, and each of you have a staff of stewards to wait on your beck and call. The captain hosts you at his own table every dinner and regales you with stories from the far off places he's seen. The journey ends all too soon but a week of pleasures goes a long way to erasing the memories of long sea journies in cramped cabins and sweltering jungle heat.

Upon arrival at the docking platforms a half-orc servent bearing the emblem and colors of House Tharask greets you. He bows low and informs you that Noble Qui ap'Qwyddi awaits you at his estate outside of town. The servent has already procured a coach large enough for your entire party and you enjoy a comfortable ride to his mansion. Upon your arrival you are only made to wait a short while before the local patriarch of the House is prepared to see you. You are ushered into a large study where your host sits behind a large richly appointed desk. He glances at the new faces in your group before turning his attention to Midian and Whisper. "I have received a report already from Creiden of Cliffscrape. He spoke highly of your deeds and skill at which you dealt with the matters on the island. I am quite pleased. From the journal of Brother Oallie we will be able to locate the Siberys shards he originally discovered before running afoul of that little cult. With their leaders slain and their camp destroyed there will be no further opposition to the recovery of the Siberys shards.
I am saddened at the loss of your comrade, from what I have been told no further information regarding the assassin was discovered. However if anything should turn up I will be sure to send the information on to you. I see you have some new faces among you and that you were integral to the removal of the threat to our operations. I congratulate you on your welcome assistance. My original contract was with the others before you, however I will pay the full amount to your two comrades her and you can divide up amongst yourselves however you see fit.
One last thing, news of your adventure will likely leak out. Travelers arriving aboard an airship always draw attention and the crews are bound to gossip. Others will surely be hearing of you soon enough, your arrival will prompt story tellers and information hounds to seek you out to hear your tales and spread them wide. The public is always hungry for tales of heroic deeds."

He settles back in his chair while his steward draws up a bank note for him to sign over to you as your reward for your work. He makes small talk while he waits and once the money is handed over he says that he will keep you in mind if he has any further work for your special skills.

As he predicted, over the course of the next few days your are interviewed by three different individuals regarding your adventures battling pirates, evil cultists, and undead horrors. Your story is even featured in the Khorranberg Chronicle and the Aundarian Scroll. It buys your drinks on many a night spent in the capital city as you describe glorious sea battles, sunken treasure, and the depths of the tropical jungle.

Several weeks of comfort and leisure pass by. Midian and Whisper even receive a letter from Seria from Q'barra. She describes the fascinating life of the tribal Lizardfolk along with a few sketches of life there. Not long after that, Doral, Midian, and Whisper receive a second letter from a House Sivis carrier, addressed to them personally. Initially when they open the page it appears completely blank. However after a moment of scrutiny letters begin to fill the page as the message is magically revealed once in your presence. It reads, Loyal citizens of Aundair, Your presence is requested at the Towers of Arcanix as soon as possible. We have it by way of a trusted source that your group has certain skills that can be of use to your nation. Your services will be well rewarded. Present this letter in person at the Nocturnas Tower. A fee to the Trannix family has already been payed for transport once you reach the village of Arcanix. It is signed by Ebsculled Gaston, secretary to the Minister of Magic. As he is not a citizen of Aundair, Thom (once Kraken) receives a slightly different letter but of a similar nature. It promises fantastic riches if he is willing to take a pledge of loyalty and perform a service for the nation.

You meet at the Golden Caravel to discuss your letters, where your adventure started with a minor plague of rats what seems like ages ago.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

"Well, I certainly never expected this kind of life when we wandered off from academy," Midian says wistfully as the group gathers to discuss the new offer.

"With someone going to all this trouble to send such personalized invitation, it seems the least we can do to pay a visit, yes?" he offers by way of his own vote.

Shayuri

First Post
"The least we can do?" Whisper asks, disbelievingly. "Going to the Arcanix is the least we can do? Midian, it's the Arcanix! Towers of stone floating on raw magic! The foremost institution of magical knowledge in the world! The least we can do!"

So excited is the changeling by the notion that her face seems about to melt into a near-featureless one before she catches herself and merely transmutes into a human with jagged markings similar to the tattoos of the Talenta halflings. In the process she also recovers her composure.

"Needless to say, I plan on going. Does anyone object to the idea?" She grins. "If nothing else, the Arcanix has the resources to reward us handsomely if we are of service to it."

jkason

First Post

Midian can't help but chuckle. He couldn't remember a time when his school mate hadn't been a paragon of restraint.

"Well, if it gets you that excited, Whisper, I can't imagine missing the trip. If you're this giddy just thinking about it, I suspect seeing your face when you actually lay eyes on the place will be worth no end of hard journeying. I'm most definitely in."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral looks ill as he clenches his invitation tightly, knuckles turning white from his grip. The normally sardonic trickster speaks in a hushed tone as he strains to keep back an emotional outburst. "This letter is addressed to me... not Doral Heckster or Doral Bondrel or any of my other aliases, but instead using my real last name. I am not sure of how I will be welcome and my arrival may bring complications. I must warn you that some consider me a traitor to Aundair, though I do have some allies in the country still. But I thought I should warn you. There was a botched job, and a girl and... No. That story is mine. Suffice it to say, I may be the source of some problems when we arrive. But yes, we should accept. A true son of Aundair does not shirk his duty when she calls for his aid. A true son does not betray. So we should go, and accept what comes. If someone else would like to make the arrangements and be our spokesman, I would be appreciative. I'll be around, shallow in thought and deep in drink."

Though the rogue seemed to always be in the pursuit of money, he strangely had been stingy on spending his coin after receiving his share of the wealth. But not now. Doral leaves to find himself an expensive bottle of wine.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken furrows his brow. He still looks oddly unfamiliar without his beard and fur clothing, but his weather-worn face with its broken nose is still the same, framed by sun-bleached dreadlocked hair.

"Floating towers sound interesting, eh?" he says, "But I'm not so stoked about this citizenship malarky they're asking me to do. Sounds like a pack of wowsers telling you what to do, eh? I mean, apart from a load of treasure that they're offering me, what do I get out of it?"

jkason

First Post

Midian gives Whisper a concerned glance at Doral's revelation, but ultimately shrugs as if to say we'll worry about it if it happens.

To Kraken, he offers, "I suppose the question is, what kind of imposition is it to take a citizenship vow? Seems a far sight less risky than what we've done thus far, with a higher financial return on investment, yes?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken considers.

"Guess your right, Middo," he says. "Reckon it's no different from when I swore to look after the old tribe and take on the deadfellas, right?"

jkason

First Post

"Hrm. Well, let's hope this vow doesn't lead to mountains falling down over our heads like the last one did," the druid quips.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The three aundarians know that the easiest way to Arcanix is to take the lightning rail to the huge trading city of Passage. Once your rooms and tabs are paid for, your gear collected, and your farewells said you set out for the lightning rail platforms. It isn't long before your tickets are purchased, a whole compartment to yourselves, and the next vehicle enters the station. It looks like a huge segmented snake made of iron. The stones beneath it arc and crackle noisily as it slows to approach the station. After a few moments it eases to a halt and settles down to the ground. You can see windows down the rear half of the train, the passenger compartments, and solid containers towards the front. The front section appears to be where the entire thing is controlled from. A polite man dressed in a House Orien emblazoned uniform directs the passengers to wait while the arriving people and cargo are offloaded. After nearly fifteen minutes the train is done offloading and loading its new passengers. Your compartment is not the finest you could have afforded but it is quite comfortable and includes meals and drinks in an adjoining section. The car has a small window that opens a few inches for fresh air, padded benches, and some storage for your gear. You recall the attendant's instructions not to carry your weapons openly on the train or be removed at the next station. House Orien has a good messaging system that can blacklist travelers from using any of their services, or doubling the price of their use. The lightning rail pulls out of the station soon after you've settled in. The countryside is soon rushing along past you with amazing speed. The rail travels faster than any horse, or ship, you've ever ridden on! With its numerous stops at villages and towns along the way, it will take nearly 20 hours to reach Passage. After that it is another 200 miles along the road to reach your destination. It may be possible to hitch a ride with a House Orien caravan or find some mounts to take you the rest of the way.
Outside in the hallway there is the sound of running feet. With a bang, your door is knocked open and a tall figure falls over backwards into your car. You get a glimpse of a human face and bloodstained clothes as he goes down.

The corridor is beginning to fill with curious spectators looking to see what all the commotion was about.

Midian
[SBLOCK]
Midian sits on an angle to the door and has a brief glimpse of another figure in black clothes and a brown cloak turning away at the far end of the carriage. As he disappears through the connecting door he suddenly realizes where he saw that figure before. He stood over the body of Johan in Cliffscrape with a bloody dagger!
[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases