The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Sylla, you are well," Doral asks Whisper as he leans over to scoop up Dain's corpse. He seems not to have noticed his slip and continues. "We must hurry to the rumbleball." Thus saying, he hurries as fast as he can with Dain's body in his arms. Once inside the rumbleball, he intends to search the corpse for maps or other information about the mission. Noticing something shiny in the muck, he bends down to grab it and bring it also inside the vehicle.

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper grimaces and gets painfully to her feet, her skin reddened and blistered by the living spell's hunger, and her bones bruised.

"That," she groaned, "was the second least relaxing nap I've ever had. And the third worst way to wake up."

She looks down the hill and spits a curse.

"Right...time to go."

The changeling pauses to help Doral get Dain's body, figuring the guy is probably heavier than his size suggests.

When Doral pauses to pick something up, she asks, "What does 'sylla' mean?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral looks at Whisper in surprise as they enter the rumbleball and settle in. He realizes his mistake and stares at his hands which begin to tremble slightly until he clasps them together. "I used to suffer slight post traumatic stress after a mission of mine went bad. I thought I had it under control after more than a year without incident, though it looks like I have relapsed for a moment here. These last few days have brought back too many ill-favored memories," Doral explains in embarrassment as he stills the shaking through force of will. "And Sylla is not a thing; it is a woman's name. The root of the name translates to swift water in the old dialects, though for me it is a reminder of failure, cowardice and great shame." Doral becomes silent upon the subject as he reviews the object he recovered plus the mission-essential items from Dain's corpse. He ponders briefly upon changing the subject by asking Whisper what worse ways there are to sleep or wake up but then decides it would be ungentlemanly to ask.

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

As Whisper rises, hurt but alive, and Midian sees that the immediate threat is over, he bounds forward in dog form, then takes the time to shift back to his human form to speak.

"Sorry for the extra scrapes and bruises, schoolmate, but we needed you out sooner rather than later," he offers sheepishly as the group quickly gathers both Dain and his findings. He points in the direction of the activity as the stirges remain, sending them in that direction as distraction and delay as the gathering ... whatever they ares become more distinct.

"I'm not sure how something like these things see, but let's do what we can to try to confound their senses while we sink underground," he says.

He sweeps his arm around, his whispered words calling to mind a light breeze, and mist rises from the ground around them.

"All right. Let's get the heck out of here."

[sblock=ooc]For the few rounds they're left, he'll send the Stirges the way of the coming thingees. Will hold off if anyone has other things to do before we make a break for it, but casting Obscuring Mist as well to try to delay the other (assumed) living spells[/sblock]
[sblock=mini-stats]
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 66/66       
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19

Conditions: None.
Stirges summoned: 7/8 rounds remain

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3     
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

[b]Surge:[/b] 8/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : [s]Endure Elements[/s],[s]Entangle[/s], Hide from Animals, [s]Liberating Command[/s], Ray of Sickening, Faerie Fire, [s]Obscuring mist[/s](D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Frigid Touch, Lesser Restoration, Resist Energy, Hold Animal, [s]Slipstream(D)[/s]
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : [s]Water Breathing[/s], [s]Water Breathing[/s], [s]Pup Shape[/s], Stone Shape, Water Walk(D) 
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : [s]Dispel Magic[/s], Freedom of Movement, [s]Geyser[/s], Control Water(D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 1/3 remaining
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken pauses, mouth open, as he stares at Doral whilst the man describes his trauma. Then he shrugs it off as he snaps the goggles into place.

"Going down, folks," he says as the rumbleball closes and begins to sink.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Kraken fights with the controls until he manages to bend the elemental to his will. Slowly the craft sinks beneath the soil. As it goes down, you see a roiling mass of flame top the hill and roll over top of your abandoned tents and sleeping rolls. Flanking the craft from the far side, revealed by the flame's light, is a sickly greenish blob surrounded by a haze. Both creatures advance on you but the craft vanishes beneath the soil before they can reach you.

The remains of Dain are not quite as grisly as you feared. It appears that after the Living Spell put him to sleep and engulfed him, he was smothered to death. Without the guide, your mission is in jeopardy. Doral sets to work sifting through his possessions while Midian prepares the body. After a moment of working with the corpse however, he discovers a small set of papers hidden in his breastplate. It looks like a series of handwritten notes and comments. It is not a clear-cut map, more like notes to help Dain recall certain places. With some work perhaps they will help you discover your destination.

While searching Dain's stowed belongings, Doral takes some time to examine the slime-covered objects he pulled from the remains of the Living Spells. It is a locket on a silver chain, partially wrapped around a silver headband. He tries to open the locket but it seems to be locked somehow. It must have a trick to opening it.

Locket. Disable Device DC20
[SBLOCK]
You discover a catch that can be slid upwards while twisting another part of the locket. When both are released the top pops open and it begins to glow. A semi-transparent figure appears standing on the face of the locket.

OOC - The figure represented is a significant love interest in your life. It changes based on who is holding the locket. It is only a moving image, not a representative of what the individual is currently doing. It is worth approximately 1,000gp. There is a symbol carved into the inside, perhaps representing the family or house of the person it belonged to.
[/SBLOCK]

Dain's Papers. Linguistics DC20 or Know. Geography DC25
[SBLOCK]
It takes over two hours of scouring the notes and comparing them to the precious "before" and "after" maps of Cyre that the wizards provided you with. You think you can navigate to the location, however you will need to travel on the surface in order to identify the landmarks. Kraken can steer the craft well away from your landing site before resurfacing.
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
While Doral fiddles with the locket, Whisper takes hold of Dain's papers and starts going over them. After a little while she's making her own notes, and consulting the maps as well, trying to find the points of reference she can use to figure out what was going on in Dain's head.

However she finally throws up her hands and pushes the away.

"I can't make anything of this," she complains irritably. "His handwriting is atrocious. Half the time I can't tell the difference between a letter and...an astrological symbol, or a smudge of ink."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken, knowing that his reading skills are minimal at best, focuses on the controls of the rumbleball, but he risks a glance over his shoulder.

"Any magic you can use to decipher it?" he asks.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"I have a spell that allows me to comprehend languages. Perhaps he wrote in another dialect. When you are done with the papers I can give them another appraisal with my magic," Doral says as he finally figures out how to open the decorative locket he recovered from the last battle. A transparent image of an attractive, olive-skinned woman appears above the open device. Doral gives a sharp intake of breath and turns white as if he had seen a ghost, before coming to his senses and asking Midian to hold the device. As soon as Midian holds it, the image flickers and changes to another woman. When Doral takes it back, the image flickers back to the dark, long-haired ghost that originally appeared when first opened. "It is as I thought. The locket conforms to the desires of the wielder. Whoever holds it will see an image of someone which they had a strong past romantic affection. The gods seem to find pleasure in mocking me, though I am happy to say that this should net us a good amount of coin at the marketplace. Damnation," he murmurs finally as he sighs and collapses in a heap back into his chair. After one more long moment studying the image, he hands it to Whisper. "I would rather not carry the thing. You or Midian would be better off storing the cursed thing."

OOC: Will the comprehend languages spell be a decent replacement for the linguistics skill check?

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian barely even notices the locket in his hand as he finally calms enough to note the chemical burns on Whisper's exposed flesh where the spell ate through her clothing. He doesn't even register the image it shows before Doral reclaims it.

"Nothing's jumping atop us at the moment, so we have some time to fiddle with all this," he says, indicating the papers. "First, let's take care of what damage we can." he reaches in his backpack and produces a handful of berries which he presses into Whisper's hand.

"Eat them. I'm afraid they won't make you whole, but they should help a little," he says of the goodberries. Meanwhile, he mutters something under his breath and brushes his fingers across the holes seared through Whisper's robes, and the fibers regrow and re-knit themselves under his urgings.

[sblock=ooc]Giving Whisper 8 Goodberries (I believe that's the max benefit she can get), and casting Mending for fluff.[/sblock]

Remove ads