The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian frowns, looking a bit sheepish, and shakes his head.

"There are some favors I can ask the body to purge disease, but I didn't ask them this morning, I'm afraid. I was trying to prepare ways to keep these things from finding or attacking us in the first place--thus the masking of scent and trail we enjoy--and I failed to consider what we do if one gets inside us.

Given the way healing magics have been warped in the Mournlands, there's also the question of if such magics might still work."

[sblock=ooc]It's a 3rd level druid spell, so Midian can technically cast it, but he doesn't have it prepared.

Question: does the Mournland nix cure spells, or conjuration (healing) in general?[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 66/66       
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19
Medium Air Elemental AC: 20, Reflex save: +8

Conditions: Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours)

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3     
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

[b]Surge:[/b] 9/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, Ant Haul, Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **Call Lightning*, Water Walk (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : Freedom of Movement, Dispel Magic, **Ball Lightning, Control Water (D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 3/3 remaining
[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Healing
[SBLOCK]
I believe it is magic that heals hit point damage that no longer functions along with natural healing from rest. I did some searching around and while the original thread is gone, I found one here on ENWorld that references it. I didn't know there was a big controversy about healing there but I guess Keith Baker mentioned it was a last minute addition and since then people have started making house rules to ease the pain of trying to play in the Mournlands.
Healing in Mournlands
RPG.net

Are you guys interested in adding a house rule for healing spells? Perhaps out here near the periphery of the country healing spells are half as effective compared to deeper in where they may not work at all? It would allow you to tackle some more difficult monsters. On the other hand, it removes some of the danger and some other tactics you might employ to reduce your risk of being hurt.

My plan was if everyone got too low on health to introduce a Mournland feature called a wandering fount, which is a Living Cure spell, but it would only come out once so it's not too dependable.
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper nodded at Midian's explanation and said, "Lets just try to get through the day without needing it then. Tomorrow though...if you'd ask for such a thing, it would be good to have a last resort. Even if it doesn't work, it's at least a chance at avoiding a terrible fate."

"For now, lets continue. The best defense is getting out of here as fast as we can."

[sblock=OOC]I'm open to the idea of a house rule like that. Eliminating healing does dramatically change how 3e combat works, and in some ways 'breaks the system.' Not necessarily insurmountably, but it does make things pretty unforgiving. :) What do the rest of y'all think?[/sblock]

jkason

First Post

Midian nods. He pulls out a sprig of holly, circling it above his palm a moment as he whispers something that sounds a bit like a mumuring brook. He brushes the holly over his forehead, and those who are looking for it notice a faint rippling of the air around the soles of his feet.

The druid repeats the process for all those assembled, then returns the holly to the pouch on his belt.

"No one's sinking for a good hour and a half," he says. Then he jabs his thumb in the direction of the other door. "But the lady's right: best if it doesn't take a fraction of that time. Our feet shouldn't actually contact the liquid, so I don't believe we'll cause any ripples. Still, no dawdling, anyone."

[sblock=ooc]Too bad I hadn't foudn that thread a while ago. We could have just stocked up on Rope Trick scrolls and saved ourselves some trouble. :)

That said, I'd be far less twitchy if half-strength healing were available, I agree. I've been nervous about this no healing thing since I heard about it. :) [/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Code:

Conditions: Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours), Water Walk (80 minutes)

* Cloak +2
Resist Cold 10

0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, Ant Haul, Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **Call Lightning*, [s]Water Walk[/s] (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : Freedom of Movement, Dispel Magic, **Ball Lightning, Control Water (D)

[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: Well the cleric half of Kraken would welcome a chance to be more useful. The barbarian half, however, is happy to suck up the damage. I'd welcome some kind of house-ruling.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Midian's spell carries you safely over the murky pools of water. You can see the thick tendrils undulating gently just below the surface. Whether they are filtering for food or merely drawing in fluids to feed the greater whole, it is hard to say. You remain quiet and cover your lights as you traverse the room. On the far side you step safely once more onto the metal deck of the main floor. Here you can see a control panel with marks and levers for controlling the levels and flow of water throughout the ship. Henrick leans over it and starts studying the controls and diagrams. Next to the platform you can see one of the massive metal tanks has burst and scattered debris. A few large pieces are blocking the large irising door that leads to the next chamber. There is a large thick glass window before you that allows you to view the next chamber.

The room beyond is a massive cylinder 50' across and twice that deep. Only the top 10' of it is above the water which seems to spin in a slow clockwise motion, forming a slight dimple in the center where the vortex lies. A narrow catwalk encircles the chamber just above the moving surface. The chamber is bathed in shifting blue light that reminds you of being just under the water on a sunny day. Gazing down you can see a beautiful sight. A large dragonshard crystal the size of a man is suspended in the center. Its surface is a deep blue hue. The water around it in 4 cardinal directions seems to form a tube of rapidly spinning water directed towards 4 pipe openings set in the wall. The bottom-most depths of the chamber are murky and shrouded in shadow.

Henrick speaks up after looking over the system. "This is it, one of the Monolith Crystals. It looks like it is intact. It is still feeding and purifying water from the elemental plane through the system. The door to the catwalk is blocked but two of those large pipes draw water into the chamber. You might be able to hold your breath long enough to enter the chamber via that route. There's also the glass here, but.. well it is very thick, designed to contain anything that might come through from.. the other side. It would make a lot of noise to smash." He glances nervously at the tendrils.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral cannot help but swear in an unknown language before composing himself. "It appears that we will all have to take an unwelcome bath, and hope that we are not ambushed in whatever might lay in yonder darkness. I have no ability to pierce through this glass." He takes a closer look at the darkened area, then tosses a set of dancing lights at it.

OOC: Attacking the darkness. ;)

Shayuri

First Post
"I can fairly easily turn into something that will have no trouble with the water," Whisper muses. "It's what might lurk IN the water that concerns me. My most powerful combat spells use fire...they won't work on submerged creatures."

She taps a pale finger gently on the glass. "I wonder if the flow of water can be shut down."

jkason

First Post

"I think we still have a scroll left from our trip to the island, actually," Midian says as he digs into his backpack. "So breathing shouldn't be a problem. And like, Whisper, I can take on a form made to move freely in the space. I'll have to dismiss the water walking, else we'll all bob straight to the top, however. And Whisper's concerns about water and magics are valid. I can lower the level a short way, but not nearly enough to dry out the room.

There has to be a way to stop the crystal's magics. On the catwalk, maybe? Henrick, any notions on how this works?"

[sblock=ooc]I honestly don't recall on the scroll. I still have 2 listed on my sheet, but I'm certain we used one on the trip through the lake across to the mournlands, at least, so I think we're down to one. That should still cover those folks who can't change form, though.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Code:

Conditions: Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours), Water Walk (80 minutes)

* Cloak +2
Resist Cold 10

3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **Call Lightning*, [s]Water Walk[/s] (D)

[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases