The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Doral asks the sergeant, "Do you know what the Zilargo gnomes are seeking? I understand that we are all ultimately at odds with one another, but all of us have a larger problem which will demand our attention. Those mutated crewmen you have seen may actually be possessed by some entity alien to our world. It uses the dead as appendages and speaks with a sort of hive mind. I have no doubt that it is hunting for more organic material to further itself, and I am concerned for the future of the nearby territories if it somehow is able to leave this location." He describes the party's encounters with it thus far, taking care to avoid giving hints on where the party had entered.

"The Zilargo expedition team leader, Bickleford Humingus, met with Lord Fezzick the Third the first day they arrived. He suggested that we work cooperatively to search the wreckage for answers to the Mourning. The gnomes were lying though about what they were after though; it wasn't answers, it was artifacts. Fezzick wasn't about to let them loot the graves of our honored dead. He sent them away and hostilities broke out when they tried to enter the ship. Neither side is interested in wasting lives fighting each other when the Mournlands offer enough dangers. I believe the gnomes found another way in far from our camp. As to what they seek, it is likely they are after magic, weapons, intelligent war machines, anything they can get their dirty hands on. I bet they don't have peaceful intentions either. Zilargo made a lot of money building and spying during the Last War and there are plenty of factions that want to see it ramp up again."

As the sergeant listens to you tale of the aberrant crewmen you can tell she seems skeptical.

"We've only seen the mutated crewmen so far. I have a hard time believing they are intelligent. They mindlessly attack anything living other than their own infected numbers. They vocalize a bit but nothing coherent that we've heard. I doubt they would survive long in the Mournlands let alone reach the borders. I appreciate your warnings though and we will be sure to be on extra guard around them."

"I plan to lead my team out once night falls. They'll have a harder time spotting us in the dark. We'll go over the side and rappel down. You're welcome to follow us down if you desire. I wouldn't stay here any longer than I had to if I were you."

Across the room, the woman tinkering with some of the machinery from the colossal war machine suddenly starts in surprise. A soft glow emanates from something in her hand. Looking over you can see a bunch of wires connecting the strange device she removed to a metal rimmed mirror. Her eyes are wide with surprise as she says "Sergeant, you need to see this!" Moving closer to observe you see moving pictures in the center of the mirror. You can recognize the streets and architecture of the Archon's city view from a vantage much taller than a man. The image skews sideways to look out over the edge of the city. A vast wall of boiling clouds rushes towards the image faster than a running horse. After a moment the clouds envelop the ship hiding everything in fog. The image darkens and cascading lights fill the mirror. After a moment the image clears again. You can see the fog has turned into a haze shrouding the city. The image moves jerkily, violently, and bright flashes flood the mirror. It looks like a battle but you can't tell if the running figures in the images are defenders or enemies. The source of the image is abruptly toppled giving you a close view of the street. A bloodied man falls face down not far away. Something seizes hold of his legs and drags him out of view. The image rotates and you have a brief glimpse of long tendrils rising from the ground, nearly as tall as buildings, waving in the hazy air. With a pop and sizzle, the machine fails and the image darkens. The tinkerer bends over the device and tries to fix the connections but fails to get anything back on the mirror.

jkason

First Post
"That," Midian says, pointing to the tentacles. "That's what's living in the heart of your floating city now, and what's turned all the people into ... whatever they are now. I don't know that the individuals are intelligent, but they're being moved *by* an intelligence. And it's still growing.

"Seeing its origins, seeing how huge it must surely be..."
he turns to the others. "How sure are we that we can stay out of its way if we continue our own mission?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral ponders the question for a moment, and then says, "I fear an even more worrying question: what happens if it escapes this place? If we are lucky, perhaps the creature adheres to certain properties we would recognize, such as a central brain or regulatory organ. We have been able to harm its appendages, so maybe we would be able to destroy it if we could locate such a central node. Although I am averse to partnering with these good folks in case our interests diverge at an uncomfortable point in the future, I do believe there might be some safety in numbers until we can better determine the nature of the threat we face."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases