Recommend good PS3 RPG games?

Janx

Hero
Just got a PS3 myself and am a huge fan of JRPGs (but not so much of any of the newer Final Fantasies), and...it sure seems dissapointing. Just like PS2 was a step down from PS1 (SNES and PS1, man those were the golden years for RPGs...), PS3 seems to have regressed as well, except much much more so...

I'm not even sure I'll get an RPG for PS3, none of the available ones seem that great. Never getting an Xbox, though. In the future I may just have to go to portables, I guess.

Greylord, you've played the Altelier games? Why are they not so good?

There are a bunch of RPGs, some of them even good. Elder Scrolls, Fallout for sure. Dragon Age is pretty popular.

There's just not as many. But after 4 years, there's more than zero.

My experience with the PS3 and 360 is thus:
PS3 = better hardware
360 = better software (updates are faster to DL, UI and features better)

Actual gamees, for the most part is equivalent. There's enough cross-platform titles out there to have good games on both. The nature of exclusive titles tends to be that you get one you wanted, and one you can't have.

I'm not sure the portables market is doing that well. mobile smartphone games is where it is all shifting. There are some very good RPGs on iThing that cost a heck of a lot less than on PSP for comparable.

why carry a cellphone and a PSP/gameboy when your smartphone does both. That's what's killing the PSP and gameboy right now.

wolff96

First Post
demon's souls and dark souls. very challenging expansive dungeon crawls with an interesting multiplayer element.

Dark Souls is one of my favorite games. Ever.

That said, do NOT underestimate jshaft37's 'very challenging' comment. Dark Souls is a really rewarding game with some amazing graphics, a lot of fun replay value, and an incredible world. Additionally, the game is hard. DAMN hard. Kill you, your family, and the family pet hard. Distant relatives will wake up in the middle of the night and wonder why they're in pain.

It's a game where 90-ish percent of your time will be spent dying. The other 10% will make you feel like you just conquered Mount Everest. Barefoot and without oxygen. When you finally kill some of the giant and ludicrously challenging bosses, your significant other may have to restrain you from doing victory laps around the neighborhood at 2am. True story.

I'd have to second the Fallout Games, they are a lot of fun even if they aren't in the typical "fantasy" genre. They are great games and have huge open worlds to explore.

I recently played Two Worlds II, it's a decent enough game, the voice acting is so bad it's funny (which I think it was meant to be). I liked it up until the very last battle, which sucked. The play-through was a lot of fun though, with a lot of cool options available, especially the magical options. I played through as a hack-n-slash warrior pretty much straight up with some thief skills to pick locks, but there are so many different ways you can go about creating and playing your character.

I've heard mixed reviews from Dungeon Siege III - which is a dungeon crawler and will probably end up picking it up soon.

I've heard good things about the White Knight Chronicles (if you get II, I is included so you don't have to buy both) - again I'll probably end up picking up II to get both games and check it out.

I personally love the Assassins Creed games: II, Brotherhood, & Revelations (the first one is like a huge demo and I've not been able to finish it, but the others I had a lot of fun with and finished all of them).

With a PS3, the God of War and Uncharted exclusive series are both must haves.

I'm probably going to be picking up: Deus Ex: Human Revolution pretty soon, it has good reviews and looks like a fun game. I can't wait for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning to come out in February of next year, one of the most anticipated games on my list since I've heard about it.

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I've made one unobtanium-coated, irrefutable and inarguable conclusion about PS3 games that may whittle down the field a little: without a pause + aim feature, I have no hope.

Three days of playing through Mass Effect 2 on PS3, a game I've finished a dozen times on PC on Insanity difficulty, and I can BARELY manage getting through on Normal difficulty. The aiming and movement controls are atrocious. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just switch from using the joystick to the movement arrows but there isn't even an option for it.

GreyLord

Legend
Just got a PS3 myself and am a huge fan of JRPGs (but not so much of any of the newer Final Fantasies), and...it sure seems dissapointing. Just like PS2 was a step down from PS1 (SNES and PS1, man those were the golden years for RPGs...), PS3 seems to have regressed as well, except much much more so...

I'm not even sure I'll get an RPG for PS3, none of the available ones seem that great. Never getting an Xbox, though. In the future I may just have to go to portables, I guess.

Greylord, you've played the Altelier games? Why are they not so good?

I've never been a big fan of campy Japanese Comedy. The Atelier games aren't as campy as some of the others (such as Cross Edge), but still have that campiness to them. Definately not half as bad as Trinity Universe (which about drove me insane, I don't think they even know the idea of seriousness in that game...and Japanese comedy in that vein is just a bit tooo geeky for me).

Atelier is also a different type of RPG...or as I would put it, the Girls RPG. It's not so much about going around getting more powerful, or going and defeating a bad guy, or even going around with combat or growing abilities...it's more about finding the right ingredients to make the next potion soup.

If you are into trying to find and collect things to make the next item, it's the perfect game for you. To me it's more about finding things (and not in the explore the map type of way...just simply finding them) and then mixing them with just the right way to make the perfect result.

Sort of like cooking with supplies you have to find...but with RPG elements tossed in.

If you like cooking, this definately could appeal to you.

It also has a lot of Japanese Camp Comedy tossed in, but at least has seriousness enough to not be stupidly ridiculous like Trinity Universe.

Tharian

First Post
I've heard mixed reviews from Dungeon Siege III - which is a dungeon crawler and will probably end up picking it up soon.
My fiancee and I played through this one and had a good time with it. For us, it was a good story told along with a fun co-op experience, which is our key deciding factor most often.

We're currently playing Hunted together and it's definitely not an RPG but is effectively a shooter with an interesting way of providing co-op play. This is by the company that made the recent-ish Bard's Tale game for the PS2 among other systems.

We're also considering the LotR-setting game War in the North if we can find it again. It makes me think of the PS2 game that came out about a group that ran parallel to the main story line but I won't know more until I can get a chance to play it.

Kaodi

Hero
EDIT: Just heard about this game that is on the PSN, looks like the series hasn't changed much over the decades...

I do not know if I would say that. It looks like this game goes back to the way the old Wizardry games were. I own Wizardry 8, and it has a much more free form world, as opposed to being tile based like this new game. And you can actually see monsters, and move in combat, as opposed to them getting the jump on you and staying still.

Janx

Hero
I've made one unobtanium-coated, irrefutable and inarguable conclusion about PS3 games that may whittle down the field a little: without a pause + aim feature, I have no hope.

Three days of playing through Mass Effect 2 on PS3, a game I've finished a dozen times on PC on Insanity difficulty, and I can BARELY manage getting through on Normal difficulty. The aiming and movement controls are atrocious. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just switch from using the joystick to the movement arrows but there isn't even an option for it.

You just need practice.

There's nothing wrong with the UI for FPS control on a console. As proven by the zillion of people who kick my butt and I don't suck at it.

There's going to be a learning curve to build up muscle memory on how to move in the game. I experienced it when I switched over, and when I again switched control layouts.

Don't give up on it. Don't assume that because you're havng a problem, that the control UI is bad. The problem is that its different than what you learned. Everybody else coming in new is just fine with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases