WotC's Annual Xmas Layoffs

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wizards of the Coast's annual Christmas layoffs appear to have begun. So far, casualties appear to include Rich Baker and Steve Winter. More as we hear more.

Rich Baker has posted his farewell on WotC's forums.

Today, Wizards of the Coast eliminated my position. I have unfortunately been let go, after more than 20 years of employment with TSR/WotC.

I still hope to write for the Forgotten Realms novel line as time and opportunity permit. In fact, I'm going to go home tonight and finish my second draft of Prince of Ravens. There may be some more opportunities down the road.

D&D fans... thanks for a great run. I hope I've given you some good gaming over the years. Your game is in good hands with Mike and Monte.

For fans of the A&A minis games, I would like to say that this does not signal the cancellation of any miniatures lines. I hope I can take on some of the design work on a freelance basis, but we'll have to see.

Time to splice the main brace, as they say. Good gaming, all!
Interestingly, it seems this must have come as a sudden surprise because just yesterday (the 13th) he was posting about the work he'd be doing in the New Year.

Last edited:

Matt James

Game Developer
Yeah, I knew Rich well. Good guy and will sorely be missed. He also did a lot of non D&D work, such as Axis & Allies and the recent Conquest of Nerath. Another fun fact is that he was one of the creators of the late-90s sci-fi RPG Alternity. To top it all off, he is an award winning author of many Forgotten Realms novels.

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, I knew Rich well. Good guy and will sorely be missed. He also did a lot of non D&D work, such as Axis & Allies and the recent Conquest of Nerath. Another fun fact is that he was one of the creators of the late-90s sci-fi RPG Alternity. To top it all off, he is an award winning author of many Forgotten Realms novels.

Don't forget the Birthright setting.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
That's sad. I've got fond memories of both of their work...especially Baker!

PnP Game Design: You can make it your life, but it'll only pay you to be awesome for a few years. And then: well, yer on yer own, soldier. :(

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases