WotC's Annual Xmas Layoffs

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
And does this mean they're not gearing up for 5e yet, given the supposed tendency of hiring for the initiative rather than firing?

Cutting some higher salaried employees is fairly typical when a company moves in a new direction (5E is already underway according to some sources since bringing Monte Cook on board, who also just recently moved back out to Renton from Milwaukee). I'm sure they'll hire on some young talent from the freelancing community into regular positions for lower wages as the heavy lifting begins beyond initial design then, after the release of the new edition, we'll see more layoffs again. It's the nature of the beast/business model they have.

Klaus

First Post
This sucks. A lot.

Best of luck to Rich and Steve. I've always admired your work and I hope we can work together at some point.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Sad news. :(

Best of luck to Steve Winter, Rich Baker, and any others we have yet to hear have also been laid off.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
That's too bad. I wish both gentlemen the best of luck in their future endeavors. Rich Baker did some excellent work for TSR and WotC on D&D, Alternity and the Forgotten Realms during the 2e and 3e eras - I hope we do see him over at Paizo soon.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Steve Winter edited some of my favorite early 80's TSR stuff, including the 1983 Greyhawk boxed set, which next to the AD&D DMG, may be my favorite RPG product of all time.

Hope you land on your feet, Steve, wherever you are.

Sir Robilar

First Post
This sucks. Best of wishes to Steve and Rich!

After many years of exactly this, I have to say that I despise this business model. It must lead to constant fear among the employers of losing their jobs. In such an atmosphere, how are you supposed to create top standard creative work?

Roland55

First Post
That just sucks. I don't ever think I'll understand their criteria for who gets laid off.

Oh, but you do ... you really do.

Whoever their bean counters believe will improve 'the bottom line.'

It's no different in any business. But only a few choice companies practice such Nietzschean pragmatism at Christmas.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases