Buying Original Art: Where? and any tips?

Jools

First Post
I just bought some original art from ebay and it is lovely. I may be developing a new addiction here. Has anybody else done the same? If so, what have you got? Where did you get it from and how much did it cost? I'm very interested! Is there anything in particular you have to look out for when buying art?

frankthedm

First Post
Is there anything in particular you have to look out for when buying art?
How much is the artist's time is worth vs. how much the artist THINKS their time is worth. Some artists wind up working for less than minimum wage because they low-ball themselves. Be mindful that a piece probably took many hours to make, so an illo that took 8 hours to make is going to be at least a day's wage provided the artist has any financial sense at all or is cutting you a huge discount.

Also, not putting the agreement to buy the art in writing is a huge mistake. You have to have it in writing who retains what rights and when the piece has to be delivered by if the image was being made on commision.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
I do commissions. Details on my Deviantart page, and yes, I have been trying to break into the market by low-balling my prices a bit, but it comes out to about $10 an hour. I'm going to be hiking prices come the end of the month, but commission something before then and I'll lock you (or anyone else who orders) in at current prices until April 1st.

Thanks to the Digital Signatures Act of 2000, agreements made through electronic corrispondance are enforcible. For the little stuff I don't bother drafting a contract full of legalese, but you don't pay until I get it done, and you don't get the high resolution file (in a format of your choice) until I get paid. It leaves an incentive for both sides to do their part and nobody gets hosed. Haven't had a client yet that has been unhappy with the arrangements.

Turn-around time is usually a couple of days, but most of that is waiting for clients to get back to me with any corrections.

The only rights I retain is to use the art for the purposes of showing off in a portfolio, but that's common for work-for-hire stuff. I can hold off displaying it online by request. Otherwise, you own the copyright to anything you pay me produce.

Last edited:

I just bought some original art from ebay and it is lovely. I may be developing a new addiction here. Has anybody else done the same? If so, what have you got? Where did you get it from and how much did it cost? I'm very interested! Is there anything in particular you have to look out for when buying art?

Ah, I fully support you in the buying of original art from creators. Those sales of original artwork does much to supplement illustrators income and the somewhat marginal amount they make living as a freelancer.

My friend Ryan Browning is the primary artist associated with the Adventurer Conquered King project, and he has recently put up many original pieces for sale on Etsy.

My advice for buying game art is as follows.

• Don't be afraid of asking artists directly for sales, usually they are more than glad to talk to people interested in their artwork.
  • As time and cultural history have proven, art is only worth what people will pay for it. There is no too little or too much to pay for artwork. There are simply artists who charge too little or too much. But do keep in mind that most gaming illustrations take several hours to execute. Color paintings much more.
  • Know the difference between an original piece or a multiple print (giclee is a BS fancy term for inkjet). Usually the seller would say whether it is an original or a print before you buy anything. However, many illustrators work digitally now, so an editioned print (limited numbers) may be all the artists has to sell anyway. Either type displays the artwork nicely and supports the artist, but originals are usually more expensive because of the materiality.
  • Display your art. Frame it however you wish to show it off in its display surroundings, or hold onto it in a safe place. You can use store bought frames or have one custom made. Make sure the framing or the storage is archival and acid free so the artwork doesn't yellow or fall apart. Keep it out of direct sunlight. UV light will erode most materials.
Other than that, congratulations on being a patron of the arts (you Medici, you) and enjoy.

Last edited:

Jools

First Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd never even considered the possiblity of actually commissioning art myself, thats an interesting thought. I've not bought any frames yet, is there any easy way of knowing if something is suitable for archival purposes? Does that entail spending a lot of money?

I've not bought any frames yet, is there any easy way of knowing if something is suitable for archival purposes? Does that entail spending a lot of money?

I don't know where you live but no, pre-made archival frames are not very expensive. They will say "archival" or "acid-free" on the packaging.

And to be perfectly clear, it is the matte-board (thick paper board) that touch the artwork that is the acid-free, archival part of the frame. The wood or whatever the actual frame is made out of doesn't touch the artwork.

Here is a simple solution, buy a frame and a matte-board that fit the artwork, and tape the artwork onto the matte. You may be even able to find a ready frame at a department store in the photo section. Th trick is to find a frame and matte that fits. Some illustrators will do this for you at a little reasonable extra cost.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Cheapo frames at Wal-mart are usually fine. They were good enough for my University's Senior Show, so they should be fine in your home. Fancy frames have a tendency to distract from the artwork. If you want something other than black and are good at spraypainting, a nice, even coat or two of Rustolium or Krylon works well.

Usually artwork needs to be matted, and prices vary. See your local art store for details.

I have owned an HP 9800 printer for years and have noticed very little fading or color distortion from older prints, so I know their Viera inks hold up well. Anything will eventually age, though. If a client requests that something be printed up and shipped to them, I can do that (up to 13 by 19 - otherwise it would be cheaper to find a local Kinkos/etc).

Remove ads