Where to Start with Doctor Who?

jeffh

Adventurer
At the beginning, he was... well, the Doctor. By the end, he was this utterly ridiculous godlike being who couldn't be realistically challenged by anything, and was all too aware of it. God could he be a git when his ego got going, which by then, was most of the time. The only thing left to do with the character was to somehow make his own ever-inflating ego bite him in the ass, a direction in which they tentatively groped at the end of The Waters of Mars... only to just drop that promising thread in favour of concluding his run with the most ridiculously over-the-top, utterly stupid, story of the entire new series.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Try starting with Season 1 of New Who - but if you can't get into Rose/Eccleston!Doctor, skip right through to Season 5 Amy/Matt Smith!Doctor.

I was unable to get Seri to watch Who up until Season 5, even now that she's hooked she still can't go back and watch either Eccleston or Tennant's runs.

GreyLord

Legend
I have to say I love Tennant, the best doctor of all those that have been in the New Who. I'm also a fan of the old Doctor though...listings of favorite doctors would be

5th Doctor
3rd Doctor
2nd Doctor
10th Doctor

So you see, Tennant wouldn't even top the list...and I don't follow the favorites that seem to show all the love for Baker, though he's not bad.

Tennant got closest to the wit and charm of the older doctors whilst incorporating the fun of the new.

Then perhaps I'm an old fogey and that's why I like the older doctors so...though I did enjoy Davison and I see him as the New stuff!

Though now he's put with the old Who which in some ways is funny.

You think Tennant was over the top...just think about some of the later Old Who where they hinted at the big three creators of the Time Lord race...and take a wild guess who was hinted at being the number three BIG creator of it all? (Hint: It wasn't the Master).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
At the beginning, he was... well, the Doctor. By the end, he was this utterly ridiculous godlike being who couldn't be realistically challenged by anything, and was all too aware of it. God could he be a git when his ego got going, which by then, was most of the time. The only thing left to do with the character was to somehow make his own ever-inflating ego bite him in the ass, a direction in which they tentatively groped at the end of The Waters of Mars... only to just drop that promising thread in favour of concluding his run with the most ridiculously over-the-top, utterly stupid, story of the entire new series.

Like I said, we disagree to such a startling degree that were we to try to quantify it, it would resolve as a singularity and end the universe.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Tennant got closest to the wit and charm of the older doctors whilst incorporating the fun of the new.

Yep and this is why I'd suggest starting with him in order to get a feel for the character as a whole. I'm not suggesting that you don't follow straight away by watching Ecclestone and the Rose storyline, but if you want to know The Doctor then Tenant is a good introduction

and really even the god complex was approrpaite given where he was in his lifetime - the whole Oncoming Storm thing. Even the second Doctor (Troughton, my personal favourite) was known by the Daleks as The Destroyer of Worlds

I'm loving Matt Smith btw, he might even beat Tom Baker for second place

jeffh

Adventurer
Like I said, we disagree to such a startling degree that were we to try to quantify it, it would resolve as a singularity and end the universe.

Which would have the saving grace that it would still make more sense than most of Davies' later scripts. (Most of my issues are really more with Davies than Tennant when you think about it.)

Remove ads