Rules Question: Rhythm Blade Weapon

Son of Meepo

First Post
I was reviewing all 3 of MetaVoid's characters today.

One common thing I noticed was that he was using a Rhythm blade weapon in his off hand to take a shield bonus to AC and Reflex, but from what I've seen from threads like this one. There is somewhat of a consensus the Rhythm blade only improves and existing shield bonus, but does not provide one on its own in absence of another shield bonus. So if you don't have something like a weapon with the defensive property, or the two-weapon defense feat or anything else that provides a shield bonus to AC and/or Reflex, the Rhythm Blade does nothing.

I wanted some judges to weigh in as to how this weapon will work in L4W, since it appears that it would have a significant impact on MetaVoid's characters.

Thanks.

WEContact

First Post
Defensive doesn't grant a shield bonus, so Rhythm Blade doesn't interact with it either. Refer Metavoid to the Shielding enchantment.

Luinnar

First Post
That is the first time I ever heard that it works that way. I always thought Rhythm Blade was to be used instead of a shield for dual wielders and those who don't use shields (and it would not stack with a shield). The bard guide and fighter guide seem to agree with that.

Son of Meepo

First Post
I'd say neither of those guides specify that they work one way or another, only that they are valid considerations for weapons. The fighter guide even points out tempest fighters as specifically benefiting, and tempest fighters get two-weapon defense for free.

As for intent, the Rhythm Blade was intended to bear paired with the other weapon of the Blade Dancer's Regalia, the Harmony Blade. The item set was designed for two-weapon rangers (given its 5 piece set bonus) who most likely will have taken two-weapon defense.

I somehow doubt the intent was to have a light shield that anyone can use without spending a feat for what is a paltry amount of gold even at the upper end of heroic tier.

Luinnar

First Post
I'd say neither of those guides specify that they work one way or another, only that they are valid considerations for weapons. The fighter guide even points out tempest fighters as specifically benefiting, and tempest fighters get two-weapon defense for free.

As for intent, the Rhythm Blade was intended to bear paired with the other weapon of the Blade Dancer's Regalia, the Harmony Blade. The item set was designed for two-weapon rangers (given its 5 piece set bonus) who most likely will have taken two-weapon defense.

I somehow doubt the intent was to have a light shield that anyone can use without spending a feat for what is a paltry amount of gold even at the upper end of heroic tier.
Yeah I forgot about the shield bonus with two-weapon defense. Now that I actually look at the item description I think the thread you pointed out is right as well as your interpretation. :)

Edit: Did you get the items recently Metavoid or were they on your characters when they had past approvals?

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
I have a character who uses a rhythm blade as well, and I only became aware of the issue a long time after he'd acquired it.

Dekana

Explorer
Jax uses one as well. I thought it was balanced by the fact that he doesn't get to use a weapon with a better property in his off-hand.

WEContact

First Post
It's not really an issue of balance. The difference between the two rules interpretations is small enough that it won't make or break anything. This is more about how strictly the judges and SRs should enforce RAW.

Luinnar

First Post
It seems like a common issue (I believe the character builder is bugged as well). I would like to see what the other judges think before I vote or rule on anything. We may need a proposal, I am unsure. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases