Jeff Grubb on WotC and layoffs

Alphastream

Adventurer
It just seems like WotC isn't that great of a company to work for since 2001 or so.
Based on what? Everyone that leaves says they were sad to go. Everyone there says they love it there. Have you seen otherwise?

Wizards is the biggest RPG company. They will probably have the most layoffs of any RPG company across the years, because employee turnover is part of reality and will happen more when you have a greater staff size.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I blame the modern University system. It's possible now to get a Liberal Arts degree without having actually read a single Liberal text or even being able to define the term Liberal.
My professor at University of Houston, Ross Lence, believed that a sniper should be put in place at every university graduation ceremony. When a student who had not studied Republic crossed the stage and reached for his diploma, the sniper would strike him down.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Sixteen years ago, I would have bought into the standard narrative myself. I was frustrated with the lack of realism in D&D and the inelegance (as I percieved it) in the clunky 1e game system (or non-system). It's various shortcomings had come to grate on me too much. So I left the system and went exploring, and that brought me some much needed perspective.
Are you me? I went through the very same thing in the mid-90s. It lead me to discover some other great RPG game systems and styles of play, but it ultimately taught me that D&D actually did it right . . . maybe even best.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases