Fortress America: When Gaming and Politics Collide

S'mon

Legend
Hmm. I think the situation here in Germany is even more unusual. Could you imagine anyone trying to publish a (board) game portraying the Germans as the good guys?.

Yeah; I, er, had decided not to discuss Germany when I posted. :D

Don't mention the War. :lol:

S'mon

Legend
The premise of the game is utterly stupid, in all versions.

However, as a game it may be fun.

Therefore, the correct solution is to embrace the stupidity, and FFG should write an utterly absurd over-the-top Ollie-North-on-an-ether-binge early-80s-cold-war-retro type intro text that revels in its own absurdity and anachronisms.

That would be a much better idea, yep.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I like the first one much better, it has an 80's theme flavor. The second one might as well be "Toyota, Honda, and Kia are trying to take over General Motors"

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Gosh, here's a crazy thought: If you create a game...don't make your own country the bad guy. It seems like that little piece of marketing wisdom could have saved a lot of headaches.
I thought making America the badguy in everything was acceptable since that is what Hollywood, educational system, and a large chunk of our political system has been doing for years. So what is the problem?

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
I thought making America the badguy in everything was acceptable since that is what Hollywood, educational system, and a large chunk of our political system has been doing for years. So what is the problem?

Really? There is certainly a strong distrust of government in the American psyche, which is expressed in the political sphere. But that's quite different from "making America the bad guy". I see many movies, novels, and games making individual members of the government, at various levels (fed, state, local) "bad guys", and even sometimes power structure groups within the government as "bad guys" . . . but still, I don't see very much at all Hollywood making America the "bad guy".

And the educational system? Please. Our public school system in just about every state does a pretty good job of removing our worst episodes as a country from the textbooks, whitewashing America as the "good guy". Our higher educational system (colleges) tends to look at American history with more sober eyes, but still rarely portrays America as the "bad guy". There are certainly individual professors who just might do this, but it is certainly not a trend.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Maybe a tiny percentage of Hollywood which you notice, but I can assure you that the vast percentage of it continually portrays the opposite of what you suggest it does.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Maybe a tiny percentage of Hollywood which you notice, but I can assure you that the vast percentage of it continually portrays the opposite of what you suggest it does.

Yeah, but it is still a percentage which is sickening even if its hidden deep within the subtext of a work. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe america is the bane of the world's existence; however, I'm not one of those who get viscerally upset when something is produced in America that tries to further that belief because America should do is censor a product that expresses a belief that is contrary to your own. Once we start doing that we enter into a slippery slope... That said, products like this actually serve as a warning of what could happen to our country if certain trends continue. That in itself is important.

But, at the end of the day, if you don't like the product description or what it is about, all you have to do is not purchase the game; since unlike certain things, there is no law that obligates you to buy Fortress America.

Last edited:

Remove ads