Fortress America: When Gaming and Politics Collide

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
The premise seems silly. Having thousands of nukes and by far the biggest military on Earth already makes you immune to invasion. Having an effective SDI just makes you even more immune to invasion.
There's this country over in Asia, perhaps you've heard of them - China? Yeah. Poised to overtake the US economically, and they've been building up their armed forces relentlessly. I do believe they are actually the biggest military on earth at the moment, manpower-wise. Technologically, they're catching up. They just commissioned an aircraft carrier, and have been developing a 5th generation air superiority fighter.

Point being - the scenario is not so far-fetched that the US can be overtaken.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I don't see how people can dismiss the first as being offensive to some people. Portraying the US as a completely irrational villain is going to rub some people the wrong way. I find the second blander, but who cares? It's a board game; it's not going to matter in play.

I'm not sure exactly why the first rubs me the wrong way so much. Implausibility has something to do with it; the US has a reason for the wars it gets involved in, and walks a complex line of diplomacy around the world.

I compare it to the Underground RPG, which I like. In the Underground RPG, the US government is a caricature of the real one, having sold advertising in the Constitution, engaged in wars in small countries to support TV shows, etc. But it's a recognizable caricature, and within the bounds of the genre, it's realistic, in some sense. I'm not sure I can explain the difference, but I certainly feel it.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Kravel said:
I don't care what the President or some general says, when I was active military I would take a court martial and be shot before carrying out orders like those described in the first blurb.

Well, I'd hope the stuff in the first blurb is cartoony and hyperbolic enough that no one would take it too seriously. Even if someone thinks that America is a big scary warmongering monster, I can't imagine anyone believing that this is a realistic scenario (with hovertanks!). ;)

I do think it's important to keep in mind that people with less...independence...can and certainly have done really, really unpleasant things, in actual fact, sometimes just because of an order. From Milgram to My Lai to more recent events, it certainly doesn't require exceptional circumstances. It might be fanciful to think that America would declare war on the rest of the world, but it's not fanciful to think that people in general -- regardless of their national allegiance -- are capable of real, horrible things, even in the name of something they think is noble.

I say this as a man from a military family, with a grandfather who was in the Navy, a father who was a Marine, and a brother who is currently in the Army. WWII, Viet Nam, and Iraq are all familiar to us. I know for certain that they've all fought for the noblest of reasons. But I also know that war is an inherently dehumanizing process for everyone involved. Even if it's The Good Fight (say, fighting WWII-era German), it inevitably brings with it people doing The Wrong Thing (say, the Japanese Internment Camps), on both sides.

The game's a fanciful sci-fi future, as impossible as Mad Max in its own way. But the idea that well-intentioned and morally-upright people do awful things in the name of something good that they believe in is a well documented historical fact of humanity. I think it's...dangerous, I guess, is the word...to ignore that.

Kravell said:
If I can't have the opinion that the U.S. is a nation to be proud of, I suppose ENWorld shouldn't have opened this thread up at all.

I'm proud to be part of a country where both this game, and the people who don't like it, can co-exist. I'm proud of a country where the military is made entirely of volunteers. I'm proud of a country that clings to high social virtues like freedom of religion and freedom of speech and human equality and the concept of a ruler chosen by the ruled, despite the times when it has struggled with those virtues.

That doesn't excuse or forgive the shameful things that have happened. I'm proud of my nation in spite of those things. I know it can do better than that. For me, it's important to see the country as it is, and to be able to love it as only a patriot could, to see its potential, to praise its greatness, and also to criticize its failings, because its not like the US is DONE improving.

I think that part of making this country great involves cultural media -- games, novels, movies, shows -- that show where we need to be extra-careful not to repeat our shameful mistakes of the past. This game is part of that constellation, saying "Hey. Don't go off all half-cocked chasing the dragon, here. Keep it together."

Saying that with hovertanks, sure, but still... :)

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I have to admit I am sort of mystified by those who think its somehow innately offensive to portray the U.S. as the bad guy, even in a clearly science fiction scenario. You really don't have to scratch too hard to find examples of real American irrational aggression (Spanish American War, more, erm, "recent" events), and real American atrocities and evils (slavery, genocide against Native Americans).

America, like any nation, is an admixture of noble qualities and aspirations, and real human tragedies and failures. To suggest that we wouldn't -- even hypothetically -- be able to fall again is to ignore how frequently and easily we've fallen in the past, particularly at those moments when we've been most confident in our righteousness.

And here I recommend Reinhold Niebuhr's "The Irony of American History."

S'mon

Legend
There's this country over in Asia, perhaps you've heard of them - China? Yeah. Poised to overtake the US economically, and they've been building up their armed forces relentlessly. I do believe they are actually the biggest military on earth at the moment, manpower-wise. Technologically, they're catching up. They just commissioned an aircraft carrier, and have been developing a 5th generation air superiority fighter.

Point being - the scenario is not so far-fetched that the US can be overtaken.

Nukes are the great equaliser. No country has ever attacked the mainland of a nuclear armed power. Even if China overtakes the US militarily*, she is still not going to want to get nuked.

*Which will only happen a long time after China overtakes the US economically. The USA had a bigger economy than Britain for around 40 years before she had a bigger military.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Nukes are the great equaliser. No country has ever attacked the mainland of a nuclear armed power. Even if China overtakes the US militarily*, she is still not going to want to get nuked.

*Which will only happen a long time after China overtakes the US economically. The USA had a bigger economy than Britain for around 40 years before she had a bigger military.
China has plenty of nukes of their own, be they original designs or purchased from USSR or former Soviet states.

Fact is, the USA is an empire in decline and China is the new rising superpower. I don't like it either, but there's no point pretending that it isn't happening.

S'mon

Legend
China has plenty of nukes of their own, be they original designs or purchased from USSR or former Soviet states.

Fact is, the USA is an empire in decline and China is the new rising superpower. I don't like it either, but there's no point pretending that it isn't happening.

Eh, on the politics blogs I bang that drum as loud as anyone! :lol:

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I'm more offended by the lame attempt to be edgy, my reaction being similar to seeing "nonconformists" all dressing alike, talking alike, thinking alike ... :p

After the many years of drek that passes for informed thought out of your typical TV, film, magazine, etc. effort, I have a difficult time caring what a board game company does in this vein. It is as if the 10 year old in the 70s cut some slits in his regular jeans to ape bell bottoms and started aping the mannerisms and speech of his older siblings. It's even kind of cute as long as it doesn't stay in my face too long. :cool:

I'll shrug and go back to playing Agricola--and soon, I hope, Ora et Labora.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
To suggest that we wouldn't -- even hypothetically -- be able to fall again is to ignore how frequently and easily we've fallen in the past, particularly at those moments when we've been most confident in our righteousness.

It's the way the first one has us cackling manically. IIRC, the original Fortress America didn't feel the need to demonize the Soviets; it just let them be imperialists.

Again, I turn to the Underground RPG. You make a setting where the US makes genetically modified supersoliders to fight wars in Third World countries for the TV ratings? It's exaggerated, but it's possible. You make a game where the US wildly blows up so many countries that the rest of the world gangs up on us? That's simply out of character.

Squire James

First Post
As we're allowed to get political . . . .

The idea that America would never do such a thing as start lazering other countries off the map is a part of one of the negative aspects of American culture. Our arrogance. We're the best, we have the moral high ground, we're the good guys . . . Our country has done some pretty terrible things in the past, we're doing some not so great things to others right now, and it isn't beyond reason that we might become a country that does terrible things in the future. We are, like the other nations of the world, a nation of human beings, beautiful and flawed.

The new "Fortress America" doesn't posit a near-future world that is a natural progression of our current path as a nation, and doesn't pretend to. However, it does posit a near-future world that could potentially come to be if certain aspects of our existing culture take prominence and we make the wrong choices. I don't find the scenario far-fetched at all . . . well, maybe the country-erasing megaweapon part, but that's the macguffin of the story.

FFG has turned a game capitalizing on the us-vs-them, democracy-vs-communism memes that were so prevalent in the 80s (not that they've gone away) to a dystopian warning against the worst elements of American culture. Just like a good dystopian novel, the story serves as a warning to not take this path . . . it isn't an American-bashing story at all. I find it fascinating and very bold of FFG to take the original premise which was a "rah-rah America!" premise to an "watch out America, we tread on dangerous ground" premise.

Of course, none of this should affect the gameplay!!! Three mega-countries invading the US on three fronts! With hover-tanks! Woo-boy! I used to own the original and found the game unbalanced, but I loved it anyway for those nifty primary-colored hover tanks.

Note, my opinions are no doubt colored by my political and philosophical leanings . . .

HOVERTANKS!!!

Since the game isn't to my tastes, I can render no judgement on the gameplay and what the game means internally. I can only render judgement on the info I was given, and I found the first blurb repugnant. What exactly is wrong with a certain amount of self-righteousness? What's wrong with playing the paladin?

Actually, when I think of the term "Fortress America", I kind of think of what would happen if we followed the views of certain libertarians and actually only concerned ourselves with what happens within our borders. We really would be a Fortress if we were on the defensive ALL the time! Not to mention letting all those countries get hovertanks before us! Have we no shame?!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases