The Hobbit Trailer

Wiseblood

Adventurer
A YEAR!!! I haven't felt that a year would be so long since I was a kid.

If only Peter Jackson could be convinced to do a D&D movie.

Leif

Adventurer
A YEAR!!! I haven't felt that a year would be so long since I was a kid.
But just think how good it's going to be if Jackson has a whole 'nother year to polish it. Not to even mention a year's worth of built-up anticipation and angst.

Hmmm, given that, it had BETTER be the be-all, end-all, good-as-money-in-the-bank, slam-bam, thank-you-ma'am, give-the-dog-a-bone best, most kick-@$$ movie imaginable, or else there are likely to be world-wide riots and mayhem. Hell hath no fury like a gazillion geeks spurned! Somebody save me a good spot on the front lines if it comes to that, please?

Why, yes, yes my Avatar is Mithrandir himself!

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Hey, if this does well (which it will, of course) does anyone think we have a chance of seeing some kind of Silmarillion movie?
Not a chance.
Not just no, but H-E-double-hockey-sticks NO! That would be akin to making a movie treatment of the History of the World. Hey! That's a thought! Maybe Peter Jackson could get Mel Brooks to assist? :)

Doesn't Gandalf get the ring of fire (Narnsel?) from Galadrel?
No, actually: "Gandalf the Grey was the last of the Istari landing in Mithlond. He seemed the oldest and least in stature of them, but Círdan the Shipwright felt that he had the highest inner greatness on their first meeting in the Havens, and gave him Narya, the Ring of Fire." (- from Wikipedia entry "Gandalf") Cirdan the Shipwright was the original bearer of Narya [fire, red stone] and he gave it to Gandalf. Galadriel was the bearer of Nenya [water, white stone (diamond?)], and Elrond was the bearer of Vilya [air, blue stone, Vilya is generally considered to be the mightiest of the Three]. In place of a Ring of Earth, of course, there were the Seven Rings of the Dwarvish Lords. So, ironically, of the "Three Rings for the Elven Kings," only one was borne by a full Elf, and no [sane] one would accuse Galadriel of being a 'king.' Gandalf was neither man nor elf, but was Istari. And, of course, Elrond was half-Elven only.

Three Rings for the Elven Kings Under the Sky
Seven for the Dwarvish Lords in their Halls of Stone
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to Die
One for the Dark Lord on his Dark Throne

One Ring to Rule them All
One Ring to Find Them
One Ring to Bring them All
And in the Darkness bind Them

In The land of Mordor where the Shadows Lie
In The land of Mordor where the Shadows Lie

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Batman will help.

Think it is going to be a great year for movies...
  • Jan - Underworld 4
  • Feb - Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (in 3D)
  • Mar - Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, John Carter of Mars, The Raven, Wrath of the Titans
  • Apr - ???
  • May - The Avengers (2012)
  • Jun - Snow White and the Huntsman, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, G.I. Joe: Retaliation
  • Jul - The Amazing Spider-Man, The Dark Knight Rises
  • Aug - The Bourne Legacy, Total Recall (2012), The Expendables 2

Theses are just the ones I am interested it. sure, some are questionable but as a year at the movies, 2012 is looking good.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Think it is going to be a great year for movies...
  • Jan - Underworld 4
  • Feb - Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (in 3D)
  • Mar - Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, John Carter of Mars, The Raven, Wrath of the Titans
  • Apr - ???
  • May - The Avengers (2012)
  • Jun - Snow White and the Huntsman, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, G.I. Joe: Retaliation
  • Jul - The Amazing Spider-Man, The Dark Knight Rises
  • Aug - The Bourne Legacy, Total Recall (2012), The Expendables 2

Theses are just the ones I am interested it. sure, some are questionable but as a year at the movies, 2012 is looking good.

Could be some good ones. I'm a bit leery of The Avengers - a lot of super hero movies suffer from bloat with just the hero and 2 villains. How are they going to keep all of those actors and heroes satisfied with limited screen time - Robert Downey/Iron Man; Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, etc.?

Aaron L

Hero
I can't wait to see what they do with Smaug, although it sounds like that won't be until the 2nd movie.

Hey, if this does well (which it will, of course) does anyone think we have a chance of seeing some kind of Silmarillion movie? Of course they can't do the whole thing, even in a trilogy, but they could theoretically do a series of movies.

Hell yeah! I'd pay big bucks to see Faenor slamming his door in Morgoth's face! The Rape of the Silmarils! Fingolfin! Man, a movie series of the Silmarillion would make the entire LotR trilogy look tame. But I guess that's just to be expected, considering that the entire LotR series was just one tiny little chapter in the Silmarillion.

I cannot wait to see what they do with "the chieftest and greatest of calamities." After how they portrayed the Balrog, I'm very excited to see how they pull off Smaug. I'm also looking forward to seeing Legolas in his father's court when the Mirkwood elves capture the party. And if they really are going to show Gandalf meeting with the Council of the Wise and dealing with Sauron starting up his stuff again as the Necromancer, instead of just having him totally disappear from the narrative like he did in the book, THAT'S something I'm REALLY looking forward to. And Beorn and the battle of Three Armies! Man, werebears swiping down orcs left and right will be RAD.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases