Choose the Illusion: Dungeon Mastering

Hussar

Legend
But, S'mon, that's the point. You developed it further because your player's were interested in it. Of course you did. That's what Dming is all about - developing the interesting stuff. If the players didn't latch onto this bit, you'd likely ignore it because, well, why bother developing stuff that isn't interesting to your players.

Thus, collaborative storytelling. The players latch onto something, that something gets developed further, and a story comes out of that.

S'mon

Legend
H
Yeah, it appears so. For some bizarre reason, story and plot are both considered 4 letter words whenever they get brought up in relation to RPG's.

IMO: Story and 'plot' are fine when they're dynamically generated in play, visible only in hindsight. However, attempts to create a specific story & 'plot' by the GM or adventure author pre-game tend IMO to be highly deleterious to the play experience for any but the most passive players. The nadir of this approach was in the 1990s, with worst of all being the published 'metaplot' - plot centred on official NPCs, with no possible player input! But it still casts a long shadow over today's gaming. So you get people like me who are a bit touchy about terminology.

Edit: I remember doing some terrible railroady campaigns in the mid '90s. They were disastrous, and led to me leaving the tabletop hobby for about five years. I still see a lot of DMs who see it as their role to provide a 'story' for the PCs to play through. As an approach, it sucks.

S'mon

Legend
But, S'mon, that's the point. You developed it further because your player's were interested in it. Of course you did. That's what Dming is all about - developing the interesting stuff. If the players didn't latch onto this bit, you'd likely ignore it because, well, why bother developing stuff that isn't interesting to your players.

Thus, collaborative storytelling. The players latch onto something, that something gets developed further, and a story comes out of that.

No argument from me there(!) :D Of course as 'story' goes, it tends to the picaresque - it resembles the jumbled nature of real life far more than it resembles a novel trilogy.

pemerton

Legend
IMO: Story and 'plot' are fine when they're dynamically generated in play, visible only in hindsight. However, attempts to create a specific story & 'plot' by the GM or adventure author pre-game tend IMO to be highly deleterious to the play experience for any but the most passive players. The nadir of this approach was in the 1990s, with worst of all being the published 'metaplot' - plot centred on official NPCs, with no possible player input!
I agree that this sort of game, in which the GM has predetermined the plot - and particularly the key features of the plot like antagonists, nature of the climax, etc - makes for bad RPGing.

What I think is the contemporary pernicious influence on (at least some mainstream) RPGing is the idea that the only solution to dysfunctional GM plot authority is to abandon story altogether in pursuit of the minutiae of ultra-simulationist play and mechanics.

I think for a structured story-game to work well, it needs to centre around themes central to the PCs themselves: 'blank slate' generic PCs are terrible for a novelistic approach.
Agreed. At least as I understand it, the basic rationale of the mechanics and techniques of situation-focused narrativist play is for the "novel" - the story with a recognisable aesthetic point - to emerge out of the players pursuing the themes/story elements they articulate via their PCs, as mediated through the situations the GM creates to engage those themes/story elements.

Authority over backstory is shared between players (for their PCs and other relevant parts of the gameworld) and the GM (everything else, especially the situations); authority over situation rests with the GM; and no one has authority over plot - it emerges from the players engaging the situations via their PCs.

Fanaelialae

Legend
IMO: Story and 'plot' are fine when they're dynamically generated in play, visible only in hindsight. However, attempts to create a specific story & 'plot' by the GM or adventure author pre-game tend IMO to be highly deleterious to the play experience for any but the most passive players. The nadir of this approach was in the 1990s, with worst of all being the published 'metaplot' - plot centred on official NPCs, with no possible player input! But it still casts a long shadow over today's gaming. So you get people like me who are a bit touchy about terminology.

Edit: I remember doing some terrible railroady campaigns in the mid '90s. They were disastrous, and led to me leaving the tabletop hobby for about five years. I still see a lot of DMs who see it as their role to provide a 'story' for the PCs to play through. As an approach, it sucks.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it sucks. It's just a different play style.

If you only ever played in a hack-and-slash where the DM delighted in finding new ways to cheat the system and kill the players, you might hate hack-and-slash. However, that's an oversimplification. It's possible you'd enjoy a hack-and-slash where the DM is an impartial arbiter seeking to challenge his players.

Skill and style are irrevocably linked together, and there are many different skills as well as styles. If your skills do not suit the style of your campaign, then likelier than not that campaign will be a poor one. It does not follow, however, that that style is a poor one. Merely that it's a poor one for you.

Aside from very early on (when I was a kid, and plain sucked as a DM) I can only think of one campaign that I've run that fits firmly in the storytelling style (other campaigns have had a variety of elements). However, my players still recall that one, calling it one of my best. Clearly then, story games don't suck because there's at least one group out there that enjoyed a story campaign. And yes, it was essentially a story that my players played through. While I did give them reasonable leeway with their choices, the major plot events were essentially fixed in stone. It allowed me to pour enormous time and effort into making those events incredible. IMO, my campaign didn't suck largely due to the fact that my story-style-DMing-skills don't suck. I made it a point, as with any campaign, to keep my players' interest and fun above any other priorities. As such, they were interested and had fun.

Based on this spirited discussion, I would guess that Hussar's skills are more story-aligned while S'mon's are more sandbox-oriented. IMO, they're both equally good skill sets to have, assuming that your group enjoys that style. In my experience though, skill trumps style (assuming you're applying your strong skills to the appropriate style). If the DM is amazing at running a hack-and-slash, I'd rather do that than have him run a sandbox (assuming he sucks at the sandbox skill set). I'm happy to play most any style, provided the DM is capable within said style. As such, I postulate that your groups may enjoy your styles because you are good at it. If Hussar and S'mon swapped groups, it seems likely to me that both groups would still enjoy themselves. Perhaps some players would prefer one experience over the other, but nonetheless they wouldn't come away thinking that either game sucks.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
The fact that despite several pages, not one person has managed to make a single example of playing an RPG without generating story pretty much proves that.
Right. However, the term collaborative storytelling is generally used to describe something else. As I mentioned in the last few pages of this thread. "Generating a story through play" is different in colloquial use than "storytelling game" or "collaborative storytelling".

http://bleedingplay.wordpress.com/push/collaborative-roleplaying/ said:
In “collaborative” games, rights and responsibilities formerly held solely by the GM have been extended to all the players. Players may be given more input about the background and setting, play multiple characters, be responsible for creating situations, invoke rules, resolve outcomes and more. With these features, collaborative roleplaying games take advantage of the multiple viewpoints people bring to a game. Instead of primarily utilizing one person’s ideas – those of the GM – they find ways to intentionally weave together the many creative strands that are present. The historical GM/Player split is but one possibility along a continuum of collaboration, and new games that incorporate ways to make gaming more of a team effort capitalize on the inherent potential of gaming: the creativity of the entire play group.
As you can see from this link, a "collaborative" role-playing game relates more to players getting in on traditional GMing, not "people sitting around having a story arise from play."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storytelling_game said:
A storytelling game is a game where two or more persons collaborate on telling a spontaneous story.

["Story" link: Plot is a literary term defined as the events that make up a story, particularly as they relate to one another in a pattern, in a sequence, through cause and effect, or by coincidence.
"Story" is this sense is used as "plot", which means that each player would need to "collaborate" on the game by making a conscious decision to add events that make up a story. If you make decisions in-game, but without the intent to create plot points in the story, you are not engaging in the "collaborative storytelling" as used in this sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troupe_system said:
([or http://dictionary.sensagent.com/collaborative+roleplaying/en-en/) A Troupe system is a way of playing role-playing games which spreads the game master's responsibilities among each of the players. The term was coined in Ars Magica. It is also known as collaborative role-playing, a term used by other games with a similar mechanism.

In a "traditional" role-playing game, one person typically acts as the gamemaster (known as Story Guide or SG in Ars Magica), and largely controls what happens in the game-world, what non-player characters do, and how the world at large reacts to the actions of player characters. However, in "Troupe" style play there is a presumption that different players will be SG at different times, when the game strays into their area of responsibility. There are multiple SG's who apportion various parts of the game-world and have more-or-less full control within their domain. One player may be the SG for a particular noble (the Duke of Burgundy, for example) and any adventures (stories) played in the Duchy of Burgundy or where the Duke is the antagonist. Another may control all the faeries in the campaign, and most or all faerie-focused stories. Most often, one player will be the "alpha" SG and coordinate overall interactions and continuity between these "beta" SG's and their various spheres of play.
In this method, also known as "collaborative role-playing", people take turns taking over normal "GM" duties. Again, there's a common theme to the term "collaborative role-playing" that exceeds "people sitting around having a story arise from play" or the like.

Basically, like it's been said, it seems like you're using a loaded term in that it means something else from what you mean (to some people). Saying "every RPG will produce a story" means something else from the above definitions of "collaborative storytelling" in the context of an RPG. And, if you're approaching things from a more literal definition standpoint, I'd say that unless the players explicitly intend to create a story, then they aren't "collaborating" on it. I can link those definitions and make my argument if you'd like, but linking definitions gets me enough flak to discourage me from doing it more often, no matter how clarifying it is.

I'm really not trying to be purposefully argumentative here. I do agree with you in that every campaign will result in a story. But, the phrase "collaborative storytelling" is charged with meaning already within the context of RPGs, and arguing with people who disagree might seem bewildering without knowing why that is. As always, play what you like :)

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
If Hussar and S'mon swapped groups, it seems likely to me that both groups would still enjoy themselves. Perhaps some players would prefer one experience over the other, but nonetheless they wouldn't come away thinking that either game sucks.

I know that I don't enjoy pre-plotted games, even with a pretty good GM. I know this because I just played in one for several months, about 6 sessions, but eventually I couldn't take it any more. I tolerated it in the opening 'intro' adventure, but when we got to the point where things should logically have opened up, yet we kept chugging along the rails, I couldn't take it anymore.

OTOH 3 of the other players in that linear campaign are still playing it as well as playing my 'open' Forgotten Realms campaign on the alternate weeks, and they seem happy with both, like you suggest. Maybe they don't see my campaign as open, maybe they don't see the other campaign as linear.

Mercutio01

First Post
But, the phrase "collaborative storytelling" is charged with meaning already within the context of RPGs, and arguing with people who disagree might seem bewildering without knowing why that is. As always, play what you like :)
I think, although I have no real evidence to support this, that this specific definition of collaborative storytelling is a subset of the larger definition and that its application to this charged meaning is a later construct of game theory.

If you were to ask a "layperson" only passingly familiar with D&D if the term collaborative storytelling fit their impressions, I'd wager that there would be overwhelming support. Granted, this is anecdotal, but in my college writing classes, I do share with students that I play D&D and other RPGs, and my experiences support my supposition.

I think it's like the nitty-gritty details of any specific term as used by a subset of a subset of people. The finer details give more nuance to those in the know, but don't mean the same thing outside of that subset. If I discuss 1970s L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E poetry among poets, they'll understand what I mean in that specific context. If I were to try to discuss it outside of the poetry community, the word "language" would mean something not nearly as specific. Hell, even within the poetry community, it's not well understood.

tl;dr

I think you're right that the term has loaded meaning, but only within the small subset of gamers actually interested in game theory and terms like Story Now and "gamist" or "simulationist."

Fanaelialae

Legend
OTOH 3 of the other players in that linear campaign are still playing it as well as playing my 'open' Forgotten Realms campaign on the alternate weeks, and they seem happy with both, like you suggest. Maybe they don't see my campaign as open, maybe they don't see the other campaign as linear.

Might it be that perhaps they see each campaign as having different merits?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases