D20 Bronze Age

garrowolf

First Post
well any information so I can translate it into my d20 system. Basically I need to know names, types, range, and general expected damage.

I seem to be able to find Iron Age and later but not for the Bronze Age.

Derren

Hero
I don't think there were any real siege weapons during the bronze age, or at least till the very end.

The greeks had a siege tower at around 300-400 BC but that might already be considered iron age. A battering ram would also be likely, otherwise probably only ladders. Maybe a very primitive catapult (not strong enough to destroy walls) but again, most likely iron age technology.
There were also some crossbows (which hardly count as siege weapons) and, in the early stages of the iron age dart throwers. Still, they were not really used against walls but against humans (the original greek word meant something like "shield piercers").
No idea if there were any siege weapons in asia during the bronze age.

Naval warfare centered around ramming other ships or bording them. Only again during the early iron age they used catapults on ships, but they were mostly used to kill the crew than to outright sink enemy ships.
Some fire ships were used but that was limited to fill the ship with burnable cargo, set it on fire and then let it drift towards the enemy, hoping that it would do something.

During the bronze age walls were pretty much indestructible. You either scaled them, battered down the gate or starved the enemy out. Why do you think the greeks made such a big deal about Troja if they had siege weapons?

Last edited:

a good (non-game) book on the subject is "Warfare in the Classical World" by John Warry (if you can still find it anywhere). It has lots of pics, descriptions, drawings/painting of ancient weapons and ships (including that massive Helepolis siege tower), diagrams of battles back then, etc. I did exactly what the OP asked for once, translating a lot of it into D20 rules; never did have a chance to use any of it though...

Ahnehnois

First Post
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/OP-Stone-Steel-Aaron-Stimson/dp/0972819711"]From Stone to Steel[/ame] is a great historical d20 book.

Remove ads