Wizards In Winter - High-Level Thread (DM: Son of Meepo, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Voda Vosa

First Post
When the Ettin thug tries to hit Martelai, Earth stops the ground beneath him. Immediatly, tentacles of mud and rock sprout out from the ground, and grab the confused etting, throwing him again into the flames.

Earth uses his immediate interrupt, Warden Grasp, when a marked enemy attacks an ally and is within 5 squares of Earth. Earth Slides the ettin 1 square into the flames, and the creature is slowed and cannot shift until Earth's next turn. If this prevents the ettin from attacking he can't make his attack vs Martelai.

Rapida

First Post
OOC:
Did you add in my mark's damage and -2 for the wrath chanter's attack? I wasn't sure if the -2 on the roll was from me or some other effect, and I didn't notice any additional damage on the stat sheet.

Son of Meepo

First Post
When the Ettin thug tries to hit Martelai, Earth stops the ground beneath him. Immediatly, tentacles of mud and rock sprout out from the ground, and grab the confused etting, throwing him again into the flames.

Earth uses his immediate interrupt, Warden Grasp, when a marked enemy attacks an ally and is within 5 squares of Earth. Earth Slides the ettin 1 square into the flames, and the creature is slowed and cannot shift until Earth's next turn. If this prevents the ettin from attacking he can't make his attack vs Martelai.

GM: Warden's Grasp is an immediate reaction, not an interrupt, so it does not prevent the attack. Also, he was not listed as marked on the spreadsheet. Please try to keep this correctly updated as I rely on it to figure out the enemy status.

Would you rather use Warden's Fury instead of Warden's grasp?

OOC:
Did you add in my mark's damage and -2 for the wrath chanter's attack? I wasn't sure if the -2 on the roll was from me or some other effect, and I didn't notice any additional damage on the stat sheet.

GM: The wrath chanter did not attack. Instead, it forced Earth to attack for him. This does not trigger your mark.

Voda Vosa

First Post
OOC: I mentioned in my earlier post that he was marked, just didn't put it in the spreadsheet. No, I think I'm not in melee range. I'll stick with W. grasp.

treex

First Post
OOC: So just out of curiosity, there's about a 15 page difference between this adventure and the low level one. Is the storyline the same? And if so, how does that work out? There's a possibility of character's scouting for spoilers or for encounter details?

Rapida

First Post
GM: The wrath chanter did not attack. Instead, it forced Earth to attack for him. This does not trigger your mark.
OOC: "Until the mark ends, the target takes radiant damage the first time each round when it targets any of your allies with an attack power that doesn’t include you as a target." Is it missing with Earth's head not considered an attack power? If so... that's lame :-S

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: So just out of curiosity, there's about a 15 page difference between this adventure and the low level one. Is the storyline the same? And if so, how does that work out? There's a possibility of character's scouting for spoilers or for encounter details?
GM:
They are two completely different adventures that happen to be taking place simultaneously. This was originally intended to be part 2 of a trilogy, but when there was a lot of demand for adventure, I compressed the two.

OOC: "Until the mark ends, the target takes radiant damage the first time each round when it targets any of your allies with an attack power that doesn’t include you as a target." Is it missing with Earth's head not considered an attack power? If so... that's lame :-S

GM: It's the same reasoning I would use if monster A had both you and a warlord marked and the warlord used Commander's Strike to allow you to attack monster B. I would only apply the mark penalty to you, not to the warlord.

I don't consider a power an attack unless it does one of the following

1. Is explicitly called an attack.
  2. Requires an attack roll.
  3. Inflicts damage.
  4. Applies a status condition.

This power does none of those.

There are some monsters that just aren't affected by being marked. Some are just immune to being marked, some can remove a mark, some, like this one, have ways of messing with the party that doesn't violate the mark.

I have a party with 3 defenders against 4 monsters. So I've pulled out a trick to make the encounter more challenging. Than the mobs swing at the meat shields and miss a lot.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
OOC: Meepo's reasoning is in line w/the Compendium (though its a bit murky, I'll admit.

Just a reminder that Thug 2 is still dazed regardless how many times it goes.

Rapida

First Post
GM:
I have a party with 3 defenders against 4 monsters. So I've pulled out a trick to make the encounter more challenging. Than the mobs swing at the meat shields and miss a lot.
OOC:
Fair enough, just annoying to be one of the defenders in these last two fights.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Tarkus hears Martelai cry out an stumbles towards him, stopping as he feels the heat of the fire on his face. He also feels another heat - the Ettin's song pulses through him an he feels a familiar anger building. "No," he mutters. "Juna wants me to renounce violence." BUt the song of rage is too much for him to withstand.

Tarkus holds his holy symbol skyward and with his free hand, traces an arcane symbol in the air. But it is not the careful rune of protection that he has been using - it is the Rune of WRATH! His companions feel a surge of energy as their bodies burn with an urgent need to rain damage down on their foes. Martelai is especially affected - although he can tell that his body remains wounded, his hurts are pushed to the back of his mind as the rune gives him the power to fight on despite them.

"JUNA!" Tarkus screams at the heavens. "YOU PUT ME ON THE PATH OF PEACE! BUT THEN WHY DO YOU BRING ME TO THIS PLACE OF WAR?" Silver light wells from his holy symbol. "JUNA! I was a soldier in Your army! I fought to bring justice in Your name! I have learned the lesson you set me - I turned to battle too quickly, I learned to love the fight and not the cause. I fought, but I did not do justice! I have learned your lesson! I will not fight any more for glory! BUT THIS FIGHT IS NOT FOR GLORY! THIS FIGHT IS JUST! JUNA! I BEG YOU! Loose your strictures and let me defend my comrades!"

And Juna appears. The Goddess rears into place over Tarkus' head, girded for war, clashing her spear on her shield. Even through the haze in his vision, Tarkus can see her. He smiles, and she smiles back at him. He turns to face the Ettins and points his hand towards them. "Now you see how we are defended!" he calls. "Flee while you can!"

But the curse chanter only laughs, and spits a curse of hatred and disdain for the civilized Gods.

[sblock=Actions]
What is the MS on the map? EDIT: oh, that's Martelai's mirror shade. I guess the Rune of Mending damage bonus affects it if applicable.

I think it's pretty clear that I'll never get anything done if I wait for my blindness to clear, so I'll just blow an attack that has no chance of hitting in order to get the secondary effect.

Move: to T14
Minor: Rune of Mending: Martelai spends a HS and regains 1d6+2+13=19 hp (assuming he has an HS value of 13), and me and all allies in a close burst 5 (that's Brenwar, Earth, Martelai and Cyr) gain a +2 power bonus to damage rolls until the end of my next turn.
Standard: Moment of Glory in a Close Blast 5 (S15 to N20) - that's a +9 from the power, -2 from Rage Song and -5 from Blindness - unsurprisingly I miss. At least I didn't waste high rolls doing it. Me and all allies within the blast (that's Brenwar, Earth and Martelai) gain resist 5 to all damage until the end of my next turn. (Don't let me forget to sustain it!)

Save vs Blindness: fail.
[/sblock]

[sblock=L4W Tarkus the Crusader]
Init: +1 Speed: 5 Perception:17 Insight: 21
AC: 19 Fort: 16 Ref: 15 Will: 20
HP: 32/46 Surges: 4/9 Surge Value: 11 AP: 0
Str:13 Con:14 Dex:8 Int:13 Wis:19 Cha:15

Powers:
Gaze of Defiance
Astral Seal
Sacred Flame
Second Wind