2012---In Remembrance.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
On the Country side of the music scene: Kitty Wells

Country singer Kitty Wells died today, 16 July 2012.

AP says: 'Her "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" in 1952 was the first No. 1 hit by a woman soloist on the country music charts and dashed the notion that women couldn't be headliners. Billboard magazine had been charting country singles for about eight years at that time.'

tuxgeo

Adventurer
And . . . they're comin' thick and fast here, foalk. . .

According to AP:

Considered a pioneer in the self-help genre aimed at helping readers become more productive in their lives, author Stephen R. Covey had an enormous impact on both the corporate world and the personal lives of millions.
The well-known motivational speaker and author of the best-selling "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People," which sold more than 20 million copies in 38 languages, died Monday at a hospital in Idaho Falls, Idaho, due to complications from a bicycle accident in April, according to his family.

[In financial markets, the common stock in his products ('FC' for "Franklin Covey") is down 2.29% today.]

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
William Asher, who produced and/or directed I Love Lucy, Bewitched, and The Patty Duke Show, died yesterday. He was 90.

Asher also directed two Beach Party movies.

renau1g

First Post
Jon Lord, founder of Deep Purple, dies aged 71

BBC News - Jon Lord, founder of Deep Purple, dies aged 71

That's an epic loss in my universe...

This truly is, I was just driving last week to hockey and Highway Star came on.... then I went to work the next day and listened to their top tracks on Youtube. Sometimes I forget how amazing music was before auto-tuning, corporate interference and (of course) Bieber....

The 70's rock bands were (are) my favourite music. Just amazing stuff....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ZF2xaNhyw&feature=artistob&playnext=1&list=TLBID7_R7FCA0]Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water - YouTube[/ame]

Jon Lord is tearing it up around 4:30 of the clip.....

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A little late and maybe showing my age, Else Holmelund Minarik, author of children's books, died July 12. She's probably best known for the "Little Bear" series illustrated by Maurice Sendak (who passed away back in May).

Else Holmelund Minarik obit

An example of one of her books (one I have and grew up with):
obit-minarik2-popup.jpg

Remove ads