2012 PC Bodycount thread

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Since the year of Reynard's 2011 thread had come to a close, I figured it's about time to start a new one (also because I had deaths to record).

I'll begin, having started the year with a TPK while running the Pathfinder AP Jade Regent. All four PCs died in a single combat with the Ogre Mage boss of the second volume's final dungeon. The druid went down first, then the monk, the magus was killed by the villain's captive winter wolf, and the paladin went down last. He put up a good fight and knocked the oni to her last few hit points, but ultimately died.

Yep. One day into the year and we've already got a TPK on our hands. I look forward to seeing what sort of deaths this year brings.

enrious

Ptolus, underground. A curious PC jump on a pit a Chaos (pure chaos, acts as disintegrate).

Little backstory for this one: PC A is being blackmailed by PC B, who is secretly working on behalf of PC C.

The party is run out of town and PC B mucks about with some drinks at one of their residences and presents glasses of wine for everyone to toast to better future success. All drink, except for PC A, who hands it to PC C (the guy who was behind the blackmail), who drinks without question. Farewell, Mr. Boddy. Looks like B picked the wrong time to poison A to eliminate a potential threat.

This is looking to be the start of a great year.

Pour

First Post
Running M1: Gallery of the Hate Blossom, I had the half-marilith/half-medusa lich petrify and smash three adventurers who dared face her, one of them twice in the same combat.

They luckily had an 'Amulet of Amon Rul' with 3 'resurrection' charges, which they put to good use throughout the battle, but when I tell you it came down to the final minute of the 4 hour module time limit, it came down to maybe the last couple of seconds.

Our hexblade managed to cut off her head, and a little DM fiat allowed him to follow with a petrifying gaze attack against the 10,000 skeleton legionnaires that just breached the chamber. He succeeded... and a table legend was born.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Forgot to post it up. Jade Regent claimed another PC.

Lance Llandu, Aasimar Cleric 3/Sorcerer 2 (Dreamed of one day becoming a Mystic Theurge) died from constitution poisoning. The Summoner also almost died, but the cleric urged him to drink the last potion of Lesser Restoration, and sacrificed himself by doing so. The Summoner staggered away, supported by his Eidolon, with a temporary Constitution of 1.

They rested, recovered, recruited the Cleric's replacement character (an Inquisitor who can cast Lesser Restoration spontaneously :p ) fought a few thugs which resulted level-ups for two or three of them, and then returned to the stronghold they were assaulting a the start of the next week with newfound vengeance. They brought about 2 dozen summoned air elementals with them, courtesy of the Master Summoner, led by the other Summoner's (terribly strong) Eidolon with her new wings. They absolutely tore apart the place's defences, despite the villains having reinforced the place while they were out recovering.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
A game of total madness yesterday. I think the surprise baby-news and a bottle of wine confused us totally (everyone had 1½ glass of wine though).

During the whole session PCs were absolutely determined to split the party, no matter what. After the first scare, they finally managed to nearly face a total TPK when two of the PCs battled BBEG and undead minions - neither one was a cleric...

Priceless moment: The ranger was about to be slain by two spectres and become one of them, so he tried to commit suicide. He took a dagger and performed coup de grace on himself... and failed miserably!

K.I.A.:
Human Cleric of Olidammara 10th-level. Killed by spectres. Died mainly because we agreed Confuse-spell's "attack nearest creature" does not permit any special attacks.
Half-elf Ranger 10th-level. Killed by spectres.
Half-dragon half-human sorcerer 6th-level (ECL 9). Eliminated by a task force including the city guard, some Pelorite clerics and a high-level cleric/paladin.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Had a PC death Wednesday night. The party was facing off against about 70 zombies when their master (a high level lich/ghost creature) cast a spell that eliminated one party member (down but not dead). This was bad for the PCs, because the downed PC was holding back the army of zombies by himself in a stairwell. Things started to look grim, but the archer PC made it past the zombies and killed the lich/ghost with arrows imbued by the party necromancer, and soon after the zombies stopped as well.

While the party was recovering (and trying to heal their friend), they got jumped by the main lieutenant of the lich/ghost, who they knew was there but hadn't seen yet. He transformed into a large-sized lizard humanoid, and was very strong/resistant. He was slowly taking down the archer (the deadliest of the PCs) while resisting the party sage (who was trying to charm him) and the party necromancer (whose minions were attacking him, and whose spells kept failing to spell resistance/low rolls).

Then, however, the last party member intervened. He was a large intelligent spider (a true freak, even for the party), and he placed himself in between the archer and the lieutenant, despite his toned down attack/AC compared to the lieutenant. He held the enemy back for a few turns, but was dropped by the lieutenant, and ending up bleeding out.

In the meantime, the spells and arrows started to land, and the lieutenant started to get whittled down. The lieutenant dropped the archer (down but not dead), and tore the foot off of the sage, who was now screaming for the lone necromancer to run, as his minions were down. The necromancer ran in, grabbed the sage, and started going up the stairs as fast as he could (the sage was also boosting his land speed each round).

The lieutenant made it as far as the stairwell before the lieutenant yelled and collapsed. His transformation had run out, and the wounds he had attained from the archer and spells were enough to drop him. The necromancer beheaded him (and then raised him because he was out of minions), and they saved the rest of the dropped party.

Though the spider PC died, the few rounds that he held the lieutenant back allowed a couple more arrows to hit, and a couple more spells to land. It was nearly a TPK wipe, but his sacrifice ended up saving the party, in all likelihood.

So, one PC down, and we'll see how the rest of the year goes. I'm looking forward to seeing what story develops. As always, play what you like :)

PC Body Count 2012

The first deaths of 2012 for my group!

Died on our January 21, 2012 session:

Dorin, Level 4 Dwarven Cleric of Cayden Cailean (mine)
Hakak, Level 4 Half-Orc Paladin of Iomedae
Naif, Level 4 Human Rogue
Zodie, Level 4 Gnome Druid

Barely stabilized... to continue the campaign was Kuma our Human Monk. The rest of us are rolling up new level 4 characters to continue with the PF Serpent Skulls AP. The DM is just going to fit us into the story somehow. So it was almost a TPK, a fun session and now I'm looking forward to playing a raging barbarian!

Last edited:

Astos

First Post
Died on our January 20, 2012 session:

Jalfrezi, Level 6 Human Wizard
Therthyra Brutebeard, Level 6 Dwarf Rogue
Pan Oros, Level 6 Human Witch

to a carnivorous crystal ooze.

Later in the session:

Bimarian, Level 6 Half-orc Barbarian

to a wickedly strong blade-clawed creature.

Jalfrezi and Pan Oros were reincarnated, though Jalfrezi chose to retire from adventuring. With these deaths, only two of the original party members remain.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases