2012 PC Bodycount thread

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Well, they had it coming then :)

Just out:

Zormack, constantly drunk marshal in a Savage World/Deadlands game.

So drunk he forgot to load his guns when he went after the bad apples. In his own dying words "Not the kind of holey the pastor wanted me t'be."
Was fun playing him but the campaign is over now, so it was a fitting end.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Got another one.

Macha, Tiefling Monk 8/Fighter 6
Pathfinder

The party had been adventuring in a volcanic dungeon and had faced numerous fiery monsters already. They knew they were now approaching the lair of a mature adult red dragon. Macha confidently told the party's sorcerer to not bother giving him fire resistance 30 (via communal resist energy) as he already had a racial resistance to fire (resist fire 5, i.e. not too helpful against a dragon) and evasion, and thus figured he didn't need it. He also refused healing from the paladin, as he was "nearly" at full hit points (i.e. he was at about 75% of his total).

First round of combat, he failed his save against a breath weapon and the dragon rolled slightly above average on the 14d10 damage. Macha took slightly over 100 points of damage and was killed on the spot. His fellow party members (a ninja 14, a paladin 14, and a sorcerer 5/dragon disciple 9) eventually managed to finish off the dragon without further death (though the ninja was in the negatives by the end of it).

They mourned Macha, but agreed that his death was his own stupid fault.

Quarotas

First Post
Here's a third one.
Kezan male Cleric/Druid 8 human gestalt.

Died protecting the lords baby from assassins, during the ambush at the gala, shifted into lion form, and was sneak attacked to death by three rouges.
Avenged by Nero Warblade/Crusader 8, who defected to the lords side after learning she would get to execute a prisoner.

Aldeon

First Post
My first entry!

A few weeks ago, we lost two characters in a War of the Dead/Savage Worlds. We had a Jamaican stunt double-actor, and an optometrist on vacation. We just made it off of the cruiseliner and escaped on a smaller boat, and the two died from previous infections.

EDIT: So no one posted yet and I don't remember if there is a rule against double-posts. So yeah...

In the same zombies game, I lost my Indian nurse character. I was killed while running away from a single runner zombie- more importantly, I had one of the two who actually had a gun (so now only one gun for the team, haha!). We also lost a delusional Chinese-American cop to a group of zombies when we tried to save a few people from a crashed helicoptor.

Last edited:

Last session the party raided the Sahaugin fortress. The Baron of the keep was chewing up the party pretty well and able to keep the cleric focused on patching everyone up.

The bard, with a max hp of 35, attempted to run up to the baron and touch him with a spell. Not only did the bard provoke from the baron but he also provoked from one of the body guards. Two attacks of opportunity later the bard went down for the count.

Thankfully(?), the party decided to raise the bard that they had only just met a few days ago.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
Two sessions, two deaths.

First I had a carefully tailored encountered with goblins that were riding cougars (using leopard's stats). One of the PCs was a gnome druid so facing racial enemies and animals were right up his alley.
The fight was hard but successful and as the cougar-riders were driven off I felt happy for my players. Then the druid really surprised me:
"I turn into a cheetah and run 500 ft. in one round".

I was baffled but with this unusual running feat he was able to catch the goblins. His companions were too slow to save his life because the cougars could easily overwhelm and kill him with some lucky shots. But really... That cheetah running trick surprised me. 500 ft. is quite a distance in this game. He was completely cut off from his melee-tank friends.

The second death was the paladin. The group found an arrogant and lethal stone giant who wore a half-plate. He was enjoying the sun (he had the Endurance feat) and his greatsword rested beside him. The party was very close to him and he hadn't notice them.
Unfortunately their surprise didn't go as I had planned it and he was actually allowed to stand up and arm himself without any AoOs. It was easy for the giant to slay the paladin but after that he was killed. The encounter was intentionally hard because the group had a huge advantage in the beginning of the fight. I guess it didn't work out too well because he was barely threatened at all during the surpise round and subsequent round.

Sorry wall of text here to explain what happened.

A couple weeks ago (June 9th Session) -

We were exploring an ancient temple complex in our Pathfinder game. Inside one of the ziggurats was this large strange black metal bowl (about 10ft x 10ft around and 5 feet deep). We ended up calling it the "Moon Well." Anyhow, our party's Mystic Theurge stepped into it and passed his will save, but warned the others not to go into it as it was obviously dangerous and almost sucked out his very soul.

My barbarian/fighter was on the other side of the ziggurat and didn't hear the other player telling the party not to go in and he comes around the corner when they are discussing that it is magical in nature. He pulls out his very large earth breaker and decides that he wants to break it open to see what is under it as he thinks it's a cover of some type.

Before the Mystic Theurge can warn my character not to do it, he slams his giant hammer into the bowl and fails his will save. He passed out right there and slid to the bottom of the bowl. The Mystic Theurge, thinking that he can save vs will again, jumps in after my character. He fails his will save this time and passes out right next to my character.

The other members of the party try to think up ways to get their friends out, a couple nearly fail their saves as they attempt ropes and weapons (anything that touched the well or PCs inside was affected they found out). Meanwhile the DM is having my character and the mystic theurge roll more Will saves. I'm rolling really well and only fail one or two, but the other guy rolls horribly and ends up failing quite a few of his. He passed his last two hero points to the DM to "save him however he can" as per the hero points rules.

Eventually, the Oracle remembers that he can cast levitate on the trapped party members, and pulls my character from the well, but the mystic theurge became a dessicated corpse all dried out and obviously dead. We mourned his death and moved on to complete the small quest we were on, thinking that the MT would have to reroll a new character and join us later on.

So RIP Ferrin level 5 Elven Mystic Theurge

Last week through some great role playing during the interim (via emails), the DM brought back the MT, but in the body of a female. Welcome to the party Karinn!

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
Poor Wilhelm!

My 4th level PCs had wandered onto the 6th level of a dungeon, of their own free will. They fought skeletons in a collapsed region, and did quite well, so they were feeling quite full of themselves, and moved on. They managed to turn two wights and cross through that chamber; on the other side they discovered a deep pit that had a gate to some unknown fiery region within it.

Now, the whole dungeon level had plainly been toasted at some point, the walls all badly scarred with fire. The skeletons had had fiery attacks, and the wights had blazing red eyes.

So the rogue, Gunter, walks up to the pit, and is "amazed" when a pair of hellhounds emerge. He tumbles away, but the next round two more hellhounds emerge.

Three rounds later, the rogue is in negatives, but Wilhelm the cleric, in melee with two of the hounds, is taken down to -4. Elrohir, the wizard, finally manages to kill ONE of them, but the second of the hounds facing him grabs hold of his body and hauls it halfway back to the fiery pit. Next round, before anyone else can get free, he drags the cleric over the edge and into the flames...

I'm absolutely certain that later on, the PCs are going to meet a very familiar looking fiery undead of some sort.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Melting Ice, high level (15th-ish) elvish druid. Unfortunately, she didn't have the Fort saves or the hit points to handle a disintegrate. Perhaps more unfortunately, she didn't have the Dispel Magic memorized and the speed to use it when my mage got charmed into thinking the elves were the enemy.:eek:

Aldeon

First Post
In the Savage Worlds zombies game I am playing in, I lost my ex-baseball player character. He died in a supermarket looking for medicines for some little sick girl.

We also lost five others: a street racer, the streetracer's little brother (who went from being a hinderance to being a full PC when the street racer died), a young car thief with a heart of gold, a McGyver-type mechanic, and a fairly undeveloped soldier-type PC that died on his first encounter.

And that was just tonight's 9-hour session.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases